Uintas Conditions 2013

I went camping Memorial Day weekend on the Eastern side. I am nervous about the bugs, but hopefully this cold spell has killed them off, as at the mid elevation they were the worst I can remember on Memorial Day. There were not any on Friday, but on Saturday they hatched, and I left on Sunday as they were so bad. As there is so much moisture lying around and the warm temps coming, this should make for a bad bug year. I hope I am wrong.

I went camping Memorial Day weekend on the Eastern side. I am nervous about the bugs, but hopefully this cold spell has killed them off, as at the mid elevation they were the worst I can remember on Memorial Day. There were not any on Friday, but on Saturday they hatched, and I left on Sunday as they were so bad. As there is so much moisture lying around and the warm temps coming, this should make for a bad bug year. I hope I am wrong.
As dry as the snowpack is this year in most mountains of the west (N. Slope Uintahs excluded) I am thinking/hoping the bugs will be done early and light in numbers in the middle season as a result. Thanks for the report. I also got a bit "bit" up in the desert last weekend of all places. But it was a lush riparian area in Canyonlands N.P.

Went out to China Meadows today, and everything looked dry. I tried to drive between China Meadows and East Fork Blacks Fork, but we ran into too much water on the road and had to turn around. So we went up and around to East Fork Blacks Fork via Meeks Cabin. There was more snow in the mountains around East Fork, but the road was clear. We then tried to drive the North Slope Road back to 150, but we ran into snow drifts that made me uncomfortable, so we walked the road some and headed back.

The drifts hit around 9,800 feet. Of course, there was a lot of water everywhere, but the wind was blowing pretty hard, so there were no bugs.

The best part for me: frogs. They're out in force, and they remind me of home back in the Appalachians!

It was also quite warm and sunny up there...I'm hopeful that many trails on the north end will be open within the next two weeks.

Awesome. Thanks for the update, Keith. Looks like the Trial Lake snotel should be reporting no more snow within the next day or so.

Screen Shot 2013-06-02 at 4.44.49 PM.png

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if most everything below 10,000 feet will be open by next weekend. Albeit muddy...as the floor mats and the undercarriage of my new truck will attest!

We then tried to drive the North Slope Road back to 150, but we ran into snow drifts that made me uncomfortable, so we walked the road some and headed back.

Thanks for the report amigo. You remember that you have a fully off-road capable Toyota truck with a full locking differential and downhill assist control, right? :rolleyes:

BTW Nate and I got mosquito bit in the riparian grasses of Salt Creek, Canyonlands last weekend. Still looks like it will be mostly a light bug year this year. Except for UintaWanderer on the east slopes of the Uintas...

Thanks for the report amigo. You remember that you have a fully off-road capable Toyota truck with a full locking differential and downhill assist control, right? :rolleyes:

You didn't HAVE to remind me that I'm sometimes a wimp on muddy roads! But you're right: I probably could have driven the roads, but I was worried about getting past something tough, only to hit something impossible. I need someone to go with me in another vehicle so I can learn the capabilities of my new 4Runner without fear of getting stuck!

I hear ya, don't mind me. I mostly chicken out too. Except that time in Poison Springs of course....

Sunday 6/2/13. Neighbors and I cruised up Mirror Lake HWY yesterday being optimistic for backpacking season to begin in High Uintas. This is Hayden overlook. Getting closer by the day!

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Im having trouble interpreting snotel data and the adds data. Im planning a trip this friday into crow canyon from dry gulch jackson park trailhead. Am i nuts? Do u guys think i. Need a different destination?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Above altamont Utah up a jeep trail. It's like a basin east of the basin with the carol lakes and Timothy lakes

The snotel at Five Point went dry a few days ago and thats at 10,900 feet. Typically the further east you go in the range, the less snow it gets, so I think you might be okay. I think the biggest potential issue could be your access road. It could be mostly clear up there but if that road is still drifted in spots, it could be closed or impassable, especially if it's one that the forest service actually opens and closes. Maybe check in with the Roosevelt Ranger District and see what roads they have info on.

Ya I saw the snotel at 5 point then the pics that were posted from Haden pass looked a bit more snowed. I was mainly worried about the road and the ridge dropping in since there is no trail ill call the station on the road

I can't help it my heads spinning. What about grand view trailhead to granddaddy basin. The pass is a little lower.... So close to just aborting and going to boulder mountain haha