Uintas Conditions 2013

Hey guys,
First off, thanks for all the posts, I actually stumbled across this forum while looking into doing some Uintas backpacking, and was surprised to see how up to date you all are on conditions there. My buddy is flying in to SLC on June 10th, and we were planning to do some backpacking pretty much the day he gets here, any idea if the roads up to grandaddy basin are open? Neither of us is adverse to doing some snow camping or snowshoeing in, but would like to be apprised of the conditions and potential distances we have to cover before heading out... Any info would be appreciated. Much thanks!!

I would expect the Mirror Lake Highway to be open by mid-June if the current melt rate holds. The current NOAA data shows the only really deep snow for the highway is up at Bald Mountain Pass.

That said, the Grandaddy Basin is still under about three to four feet of snow. The melt rate will rise significantly as temperatures do, so if we have a couple weeks of sustained warmth/sunshine it could be feasible under the conditions you describe. It looks like the trailhead is still snowed under but not by much.Screen shot 2013-05-21 at 12.16.33 AM.png

I would expect the Mirror Lake Highway to be open by mid-June if the current melt rate holds. The current NOAA data shows the only really deep snow for the highway is up at Bald Mountain Pass.

That said, the Grandaddy Basin is still under about three to four feet of snow. The melt rate will rise significantly as temperatures do, so if we have a couple weeks of sustained warmth/sunshine it could be feasible under the conditions you describe. It looks like the trailhead is still snowed under but not by much.View attachment 10626
Thanks for the info! Like I said, not worried if we have to snowshoe in, just want to know where to park... Haven't been up to the Uintas since I first moved here, is the Mirror Lake Hwy the route in to the Grandaddy Basin trailhead? Thanks again brother!

And thanks for the visual!

EDIT - HACE replied as I was typing this, but I'm putting it up for the sake of clarity.

The Mirror Lake Highway (Utah SR 150) isn't the primary access for Grandaddy, I'm just using it as a barometer because it's the only highway that actually crosses the western Uintas from north to south.

The most common way to get to Grandaddy Basin is by means of SR 35. If you look at the screen shot below, the Mirror Lake Highway comes east out of Kamas, then turns north as it climbs up over Bald Mountain Pass. On the other hand, SR 35 comes east out of Francis and heads south-east toward Duchesne. There's a prominent drainage just to the west of Grandaddy Mountain... that's the Duchesne River. The forest service road goes part way up that drainage, where the trailhead sits.

Screen shot 2013-05-21 at 12.54.03 AM.png

Yeah, I saw that on the map, and assume that 35 is open, due to the low-lying elevation it crosses... Any idea about the road up to the trailhead? I've got a pretty badass offroad rig, but that won't jump closed gates ;) Thanks again for all your help ashergrey, appreciate the late night pointers!

SR 35 is open... no idea how far up the FS road you can go though.

UDOT's seasonal road closures are listed here: http://udottraffic.utah.gov/CLALertViewer.aspx?CLType=3

Guardsman Pass, East Canyon and Monte Cristo are usually the earliest to open. Some years Mirror Lake is open well before Memorial Day, others it is closed into July.

Awesome, thanks brother, you've been a ton of help, I'll stay in touch as our out day approaches... Thanks again!!

My wife and I periodically drive up towards Granddaddy in June to check out the snow. What we typically run into are avalanches across the road that keep us from making it all the way to the trailhead. Once there was still a lot of snow down low, but usually we can make it to within a mile or less of the trailhead before we hit the avalanches.

So, it's not usually a problem to drive close enough to the trailhead to start the hike. But the trail itself has always been completely snowed in when we've been there in early-mid June, with 3-4 feet of snow in the trees. So, if you don't mind snowshoeing, you'd have a good chance of making it close to the trailhead by the 10th of June.

Have fun!

My wife and I periodically drive up towards Granddaddy in June to check out the snow. What we typically run into are avalanches across the road that keep us from making it all the way to the trailhead. Once there was still a lot of snow down low, but usually we can make it to within a mile or less of the trailhead before we hit the avalanches.

So, it's not usually a problem to drive close enough to the trailhead to start the hike. But the trail itself has always been completely snowed in when we've been there in early-mid June, with 3-4 feet of snow in the trees. So, if you don't mind snowshoeing, you'd have a good chance of making it close to the trailhead by the 10th of June.

Have fun!
Thanks for the advice man! Guess we'll plan on packing up the snow camping equipment :)

My guess appears to be waaay off. We made it pretty far up the Mirror Lake Highway a few weeks back, surprised to see how slow the melt rate has been. Crazy.

We made it to just a few miles from Crystal Lakes. - http://goo.gl/maps/JifdQ

I was certain it'd be open on Memorial Day. Evanston side must still have a lot of snow.

National Forest conditions in Utah for Memorial Day from the USFS:

The following is a listing of Forest Service campgrounds that will be open for Memorial Day weekend. Before heading out for the holiday weekend please check with the local Ranger District offices for the most current and up-to-date information concerning the area you are planning to visit.

Ashley National Forest (435) 789-1181 or http://www.fs.usda.gov/ashley
Vernal Ranger District (435) 789-1181: Vernal RD: Only Whiterocks and Iron

Springs areas will be open for Memorial Day weekend. The Yurts won’t be open until June first. All yurts and cabins may be reserved online at www.reserveamerica.com Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area (435) 784-3445: All campgrounds are open with pees except Spirit Lake, Greendale East Group, Jarvis Canyon, Dutch John Draw and Red Springs. Visitors using the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area will have to pay a use fee. Day passes are $5, seven-day passes are $15 and annual passes are $35. Passes are available in Manila Utah and in Evanston, Rock Springs and Green River Wyoming and local businesses in and around the Flaming Gorge area. If you are staying in a developed campground in the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area you are not required to pay the use fee.

Duchesne/Roosevelt Ranger Districts (435) 738-2482: All campgrounds are open with fees except Spirit Lake and Avintaquin. Blind stream pass will not be open. Please call the Ranger District for more info on roads and campgrounds.

Dixie National Forest (435) 865-3700 or http://www.fs.usda.gov/dixie
Pine Valley Ranger District (435) 688-3246: For the most current information about these campgrounds, call the St. George Interagency Office at: (435) 688-3246.

Cedar City Ranger District (435) 865-3700: All campgrounds and picnic areas will be open with water and fees for Memorial Day weekend. Please call the Cedar City Ranger District for the most recent information.

Powell Ranger District (435) 676-9300: Red Canyon, Coyote Hollow Equestrian and King Creek campgrounds are open with all available amenities. Please call the District office for current information.

Escalante Ranger District (435)-826-5400: All campgrounds will be open with fees and water. Please call the Escalante Ranger District or the Visitors Center for the most recent information. The Visitors Center is open five days a week, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Visitors center (435)-826-5499.

Fishlake National Forest (435) 896-9233 or http://www.fs.usda.gov/fishlake
Beaver Ranger District (435) 438-2436: Little Cottonwood, Mahogany Cove, Kent’s Lake and Little Reservoir campgrounds, and Ponderosa picnic area will be open with water and fees. City Creek campground will be open with no water or fees. LeBaron and Anderson Meadow campgrounds will likely not be open. Most roads and trails are open. For current conditions contact the Beaver Ranger District at (435) 438-2436

Fillmore Ranger District (435) 743-5721: Maple Grove, Oak Creek, Adelaide and Maple Hollow campgrounds will be open with water and fees. Some roads and trails at higher elevations are closed due to snow and wet muddy conditions. Contact the Fillmore Ranger District for the most current information.

Fremont River Ranger District (435) 836-2800: All campgrounds are open with fees. Boulder Top road will be closed until approximately June 16, 2012. Please call the Fremont River Ranger District Office for the most current and up to date information. Richfield Ranger District (435) 896-9233: Gooseberry campground and Monrovian picnic area will be open for the holiday weekend.

Manti-LaSal National Forest (435) 637-2817 or http://www.fs.usda.gov/mantilasal Price (435) 637-2817 and Ferron Ranger District (435) 384-2372: Joes Valley campground is open with fees. High elevation roads are gated or closed due to snow. Please contact the district for up-to-date information.

Sanpete Ranger District (435) 283-4151: Maple Canyon, Twin Reservoir, and Chicken Creek campgrounds are open with fees. High elevation roads are gated and or closed due to snow. Please contact the district for up-to-date information.

Moab Ranger District (435) 259-7155: Warner Lake, Oowah Lake and Buckeye Reservoir campgrounds are open with fees. All roads are open except, Geyser Pass, La Sal Pass and Miners Basin Roads. Burro Pass and Moonlight Meadows bike trails will remain closed due to snow.

Monticello Ranger District (435) 587-2041: All campgrounds are open with fees. All major roads are open except, North Creek Pass Road.

Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest (801) 236-3400 or (801) 342-5100
http://www.fs.usda.gov/uwcnf

Pleasant Grove Ranger District (801) 785-3563: Hope, Mount Timpanogos, Timpooneke, Little Mill and Granite Flat campgrounds will be open with fees, except Altamont. The Alpine Scenic Loop (USR 92) will be open for the Memorial Day weekend. Tibble Fork road is open to Mineral Basin, but Tibble Fork Road to Silver Lake Road is closed. The Squaw Peak road is open to Rock Canyon. The North Fork road is open, but no trailers will be allowed as there is limited turn around space. Trails in American Fork Canyon are open to bicycles, motorized vehicles and livestock. A recreation pass is required for the American Fork Canyon-Alpine Scenic Loop area and is available at Forest Service offices or at the entrance stations to the Scenic Loop. The special use fee is $6.00 for a one three-day pass per vehicle, $12.00 for a 7 day pass and $45.00 for the annual pass.

Trails Update for the Pleasant Grove Ranger District: Trails Associated with the Wet Trail Closure (Trails closed to all uses except hiking) will be open starting 5/23/2013

This includes: Mill Canyon 040, Tibble Fork 041, Salamander Flat 150, Ridge Trail 157, Mud Springs 173, Willow Hollow 159, South Fork Little Deer Creek 252

There may be small wet sections still, please travel through these areas respectfully to reduce trail damage

Thank you to all who have adhered to the wet trail closure this year, the trails are in great shape!

Wilderness Trails:

Timpanogos will still have significant snow and possible snow bridges crossing river drainages, people are cautioned not to continue past their skill level for traveling on snow and to have the appropriate gear needed for snow travel. As you are planning trips this summer for the Lone Peak or Mount Timpanogos Wilderness Areas please remember:

o 15 Person Group Size limitation
o No camp fires in the entire Mount Timpanogos Wilderness or the Silver Lake Basin of the Lone Peak Wilderness
o Shortcutting switchbacks is prohibited, stay on the main trail to reduce trail damage and erosion and to increase your safety.

Other trail updates:

The front country trails (Bonneville Shoreline, Dry Canyon, Battle Creek, Grove Creek) are clear of snow and open (There may be some intermittent snow on the higher end of these trails) Upper country trails that are not part of the wet trail closures will most likely still have snow and wet sections. Please avoid using these trails if they are wet to avoid causing damage. Avoid using any trails for a day or possibly two after any significant rain fall so that they have adequate time to dry.

Volunteer Opportunity:
National Trails Day is June 1st; we will have two volunteer projects that day, contact Gary Gray at gcgray@fs.fed.us or call 801-796-4886 for project details and to sign up.

Maps:

For the AF Canyon Trail Map and Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) visit: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/uwcnf/maps-pubs, MVUMs are there for all the Districts, under Miscellaneous Maps is where you can find the AF Canyon Trail Map.

Trail Descriptions:
For trail descriptions on the Pleasant Grove Ranger District visit: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/recarea/?recid=8988 search under activities at the bottom of the page.

Spanish Fork Ranger District (801) 798-3571: Diamond, Maple Bench, Payson Lakes, Tinney Flat, and Whiting campgrounds are open with water and fees. Balsam, Bear Canyon, Blackhawk, Cherry, Maple Lake, and Ponderosa campgrounds are open with fees, but no water. Vernon Reservoir and Cottonwood campgrounds are open with no water or fees. Pole Heaven will open today. The Nebo Loop Scenic Byway is open 16 miles on the north side within Payson Canyon, and on the south side (Nephi) it is open only 6 miles.

Logan Ranger District (435) 755-3620: All campgrounds and picnic areas will be open with fees, for the holiday weekend, except Tony Grove. Low elevation roads and trails are open and dry. The gates in High Creek and Green Canyon will be open for the weekend and possibly the first gate at Temple Fork. All other mid-elevation gates Cowley/Herd, Temple Fork, Forestry Camp, and Pole Hollow) will remain closed, but scheduled to open on June 1st. Upper elevation roads (Marie Springs, Twin Creek and Dip Hollow) are still closed with gates scheduled to open on June 15th. The best opportunities for dispersed camping will be in Franklin Basin, Providence Canyon and limited camping may be available along the Hardware Ranch to Sinks Scenic Backway. The yearly Mountain Man Rendezvous will be in the Lefthand Fork of the Blacksmith Fork over the holiday, so expect crowds if camping there.

Ogden Ranger District (801) 625-5306: All campgrounds are open with fees, except Monte Cristo. The Avon to Liberty road is also open. Please TREAD LIGHTLY and avoid traveling on roads when muddy.

Salt Lake Ranger District (801) 466-6411: Spruces and Tanners Flat campgrounds will be open with water and fees on Friday, May 24, 2013. Storm Mountain, Ledgemere, Birches and Dogwood picnic areas in Big Cottonwood Canyon are open with fees but no water. Upper, Main and South areas in Box Elder, Churchfork, Terraces and Maple Grove picnic sites are open with fees, but no water. The gate to Doughnut Falls will open on Thursday, May 23, 2013 Remember Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons are Salt Lake City Municipal Watersheds and dogs are not allowed in these canyons.

Mueller Park picnic area in Davis County is open with water and fees. Fernwood picnic area in Layton is open with water and fee. Farmington Canyon Road is open to the intersection with Francis Peak and Skyline Drive. Ward Canyon road is still closed. Cottonwood, Intake and Boy Scout campgrounds are now open and on Friday, May 24th Lower and Upper Narrows and Loop campgrounds will open in South Willow Canyon (Stansbury Mountains, west of Tooele and Grantsville) are open with fees but no water.

Heber-Kamas Ranger District (435) 654-0470 or (435) 783-4338: All campgrounds and picnic areas within the Heber area are open with water and fees, except Mill Hollow and Wolf Creek, which are still closed due to snow. Lodgepole Campground has no drinking water and no RV Dump. Porta- Potties are in Loop A, but Flush Toilets in Loop B. The Strawberry Visitor Center will be open 7 days a week starting May 31, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Installation of new Courtesy and Break Water Docks at Strawberry Bay Boat Ramp are complete. Wolf Creek Pass (Utah SR 35) is now open. The Mirror Lake Highway (Utah SR 150 from Kamas, Utah to Evanston, Wyoming is still closed due to snow as of May 23rd. Yellow Pine, Cobblerest, Lower Provo, Shady Dell, Soapstone (water only in the top loop), Ledgefork (lower loop only) and Smith & Morehouse campgrounds located within the Kamas area are open with fees. All high elevation lakes are still frozen and inaccessible. Visitors parked or camping along the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway must display a fee pass. One to three day passes are $6.00, seven day passes are $12.00, and annual passes are $45.00. Passes can be purchased at the Kamas Work Center, Heber-Kamas Ranger District Office, Evanston Ranger District, and local business in Kamas, Utah and Evanston, Wyoming.

Evanston/Mountain View Ranger Districts (307) 789-3194 or (307) 782-6555: Evanston: Most campgrounds on the Evanston Ranger District will have sites available. Some site may be too wet to camp in. Lyman Lake campground will not be open. No water will be on in the campgrounds. Fees will be charged at a reduced rate. The Bear River Ranger Station will not be open for Memorial Day weekend. The planned opening date is Thursday, May 30, 2013. Early season hours will be Thursday – Monday 8-12, 1230-430 for most of June. The ranger station will be closed June 10 – June 13 for orientation/training. July – Labor Day hours will be Sunday – Thursday 8-12, 1230-430, Friday – Saturday 8-6. Conditions as of May 22: Whitney Reservoir is not accessible. Elizabeth Pass is not open. Lyman Lake is not open. The Lily Lake Dump Station will not be open.

Mountain View: Stateline and Deadhorse Trailhead campgrounds are open with fees and no water. Hoop Lake, Bridger and East Marsh campgrounds may be open Friday, May 24th. Trails above 9000 feet are wet, muddy or snow covered. Forest crews are doing maintenance work to remove dead trees is some campgrounds, so please look up and around before choosing a campsite. Visitors recreating or primitive camping along the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway must display a fee pass. 1-3 Day passes are $6.00, 7-day passes are $12.00 and annual passes are $45.00. Passes are no longer needed in developed (concessionaire ran) campgrounds. Passes can be purchased at Forest Service Offices in Kamas, Utah; Evanston, Wyoming; local business in Kamas, and the Bear River Lodge.

I Just called Ranger station in Kamas for you and they said that they will have Mirror Lake Hwy cleared through to Wyoming tomorrow. (435) 654-0470. But snowpacked shoulders up top.
Sweet!

Nice! I might sneak in an overnighter up there to try and make up for having to bail on yet another trip because of my knee. It's still pretty jacked up and swollen though so we'll see. Anyone think I'd be nuts for trying to drive through the crossing to get to the WFBF trailhead this weekend? I'm thinking Buck Pasture could be sweet right now.

I Just called Ranger station in Kamas for you and they said that they will have Mirror Lake Hwy cleared through to Wyoming tomorrow. (435) 654-0470. But snowpacked shoulders up top.

It's worth noting that the USFS doesn't actually control the opening/closing of the Mirror Lake Highway. They can open the gates but it's UDOT that does the plowing. Until you hear from UDOT that the road will be open, I wouldn't count on it.

Anyone think I'd be nuts for trying to drive through the crossing to get to the WFBF trailhead this weekend? I'm thinking Buck Pasture could be sweet right now.

Probably a little nuts.

Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at 1.01.46 AM.png

Looks like the East Fork of the Bear area is starting to melt out along with lower Christmas Meadows though.

Ahh yeah. I forget how high Buck Pasture actually is. I was thinking it was like 8k, but it's much closer to 10k. Damn...