To Do in 2022

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
It's a BCP tradition unlike any other - the To-Do thread for the coming year. Let's hear about your plans for the 2022! One of the very best parts of BCP is the inspiration to get outdoors and make great use of our time. What are all you BCPers up to this coming year?

Previous years:

2014: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2014.2671/
2015: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2015.3896/
2016: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2016.5420/
2017: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2017.6450/
2018: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2018.7301/
2019: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2019.8240/
2020: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2020.9026/
2021: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2021.9543/

• Lots of XC skiing day trips again
  • Backpacking in either the Great Bear Wilderness or Bob Marshall Wilderness
  • Backpacking in the Beartooths
  • Backpacking in the southern Absarokas
  • Hiking in Hawaii (we're planning a trip there for March)
  • Teaching my dog Walter not to bark at strangers when we're hiking. He'd be a perfect trail dog if we could just get him not to freak out about people he doesn't know.

I will have to come up with some other goals but I know of one for sure.

Drive the ITEM REDACTED backcountry byway with my Dad. He has wanted to do it for years. He didn't want me putting anything about it online since he thinks it is already too crowded. I told him I wouldn't put the name and when I post the trip that I would request if anyone knows where it is that they don't post publicly that they can verify with me in private.

Next year will be a big change for me as I'm moving to Washington State in the summer and leaving the desert behind me for good.

1. Moving to Washington in summer
  2. local backpacking trips in Zion and the vicinity
  3. lots of cross-country skiing and snowshoeing if snow level permits
  4. finally, learn to downhill ski
  5. winter camping in the snow
  6. hike the Pine Valley Mountains
  7. hike a 1,000 miles
  8. climb Mount Saint Helens again
  9. visit the Enchantments
  10. backpack in Mount Rainier NP and do a section of the Wonderland trail
  11. see Olympic NP and camp at the coast
  12. go winter camping in Mount Rainier NP
  13. explore a lot of trails between Issaquah and the Snoqualmie Region, WA
  14. climb Mount Adams

• Take the entire family out backpacking
  • Train my kids to do more of the backpacking chores (setting up tent, filtering water, digging catholes, etc.)
  • Take my oldest kid on at least two backpacking trips
  • Do at least five backpacking trips total
  • Do at least two car-camping trips
  • Do my first hike requiring crampons
  • Learn a bit of wilderness first aid (I'm totally clueless in this area)
  • Organize my gear to the point where it is relatively fast and easy to get out the door for backpacking trips
  • Don't fall off my mountain bike (this is the toughest goal here! But also perhaps the most important)
  • Don't gain weight

Last edited:
Now for 2022 my plans as it looks right now are ...

Winter
1. Continue to Enjoy Life with getting out hiking, biking, and birding all I can with continuing to enjoy it here in the St. George area.
2. Do some winter birding trips down into Nevada and Arizona
3. In early spring do some birding and camping trips to Zion NP and out west and southwest into the Mojave Desert.

Spring
4. At the beginning of April bike back up to Jackson Hole and the Yellowstone Country.
5. In late April and May do a bike trip across Southern Idaho and area. See Craters of the Moon.

Late Spring, Summer, and early Fall
6. Go hiking back in the Absarokas and the Thorofare again.
7. Hike, bike, camp, and bird with enjoying all of the NW Wyoming Country again.
8. Do a bike tour trip possibly over eastern Wyoming, eastern Montana, and the Black Hills area.

Fall and Winter
9. Go somewhere new for the winter hiking, biking, and birding. Many possibilities. Like down to Arizona, or West and South Texas, or even winter in the mountains outside of Cody, WY.

But whatever get out and Enjoy life with being in the wilds all that is possible.

Downhill ski Copper Mtn CO (but will there be any snow?)
X-country ski beautiful Stokely Creek in Ontario (but will omicron prevent us from getting into Canada?)
THE WAVE, Coyote Buttes South, White Pocket, etc. & camp at Stateline (nothing will stop us from this trip!)
Little Death Hollow, Wolverine, Escalante, Cosmic Ashtray, Gulch and/or other exploration backpack
My son's college graduation :)
Visit my other son in CO and do some fun day hikes and/or overnight there
Hut-to-hut in the Dolomites (but will COVID prevent us from traveling to Europe? if so, we'll do something else)
Beyond summer hasn't been discussed yet

Goal: Improve my off-trail navigation abilities. Thanks @Titans for helping me with this!
Goal: Make myself do my PT exercises - will my achilles ever get better?
Goal: Instead of being lazy after I finish teaching each day, get my rear end out the door to walk/hike/train/exercise.

Happy new year to all - may you have a healthy, satisfying 2022.

I think you forgot the September Trip to Grizzly Lake with the Yellowstone vagabonds. :)
That's in the fall. I'll come back for that, as long as you guys don't kill me off tramping through bogs and baking in Mr. Bubbles and jousting with mtn. goats and bison with lightning rods. And then some stuff I forgot that you do...oh, eating rancid circus peanuts. (I use the same definition of the seasons as the weather people - Fall starts the beginning of Sept.)

That's in the fall. I'll come back for that, as long as you guys don't kill me off tramping through bogs and baking in Mr. Bubbles and jousting with mtn. goats and bison with lightning rods. And then some stuff I forgot that you do...oh, eating rancid circus peanuts. (I use the same definition of the seasons as the weather people - Fall starts the beginning of Sept.)
Don’t ya fret..Scatman comes equipped with a life saving kilt if you should step into a bog in his footsteps and start falling! He is My hero!

I told you that you could just stay at camp and enjoy the backcountry from there. No one will be forced to partake in the bog festivities. :)

Trust me, you'll want a circus peanut by day three. It will become irresistible to you, like the one ring. There is no fighting it.

I told you that you could just stay at camp and enjoy the backcountry from there. No one will be forced to partake in the bog festivities. :)

Trust me, you'll want a circus peanut by day three. It will become irresistible to you, like the one ring. There is no fighting it.
I'll never give in..... Never never.