To Do in 2019

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Thru-hikes:
Route-In-Between (my own route thru AZ/UT/ID, including the Arizona Trail and most of the Idaho Centennial Trail)

Shorter long-distance trails:
San Diego Trans-County Trail
Ozark Highlands Trail
Ouachita Trail

Short backpacking trips:
Aravaipa Canyon
Big Bend National Park

Other goals:
See a bear (not happening, but I'm putting it on my to-do list every year until it does happen)
Hit 200 nights in the Bag Night Challenge
Get at least one Bag Night every month of the year

The Back Burner:
Benton MacKaye Trail
Finally start backcountry nordic touring
Hike in the La Sals

Here's what I have as my goals so far. I'm a bit worried I won't get as many trips as I'd like this year because I'll be spending May-July, a decent chunk of prime backpacking season, preparing for the damn bar exam. I'm going to try to make the most of my weekends though, especially now that I've gotten a bit more accustomed to going solo.

• Snowshoeing in the Wasatch and the Uintas a few times. Really hoping for some good snow this year. Last year sucked.
  • A desert backpacking trip over spring break.
  • A few nights backpacking in the Escalante or Cedar Mesa area (or wherever else we decide down there) in May. A friend of mine is planning on coming out with his brother and his brother's friend, and it will also be my celebration of graduating law school.
  • A bigger Teton Wilderness trip, hopefully right after I take the bar. No firmly set route, but I'd really like to get up on the Buffalo Plateau, see the headwaters of the Yellowstone, and get to the Hawk's Rest area.
  • Other overnighters as time permits. These shouldn't be too hard to fit in on weekends. Hoping to get my first one the first week of January, before school starts up again.

If I can just nail these ones, I'll call the year a success as far as outdoors stuff goes.

Based on how outdoor activities have been the last few years my goals for 2019 are not that ambitious when compared to others on here, but may still be hard to accomplish for me.

1. Hike at least 100 miles.
2. At least 5 nights in a tent or our casita
3. 5 snowshoeing or winter hikes

Anything above that will just be a thrilling bonus.

One big trip that may take up most of my backpacking time, if it goes through (will be worth it though). Apart from that, I really don't have much for solid plans yet. Maybe another spring trip to the Colorado Plateau? Maybe the Winds again? Really not sure at this point.

I would like to travel somewhere with some great MTB trails and do a few rides, even if only for a couple days. Someday I wouldn't mind trying bikepacking, but not entirely sure if that's going to happen this year. It's one of those back burner projects like packrafting, for me.

Here is my long running hit list. Anything on this list that isn't crossed out is fair game in 2019. So much to do, only so much vacation. With the Grand Salmon tentatively on the books for the Fall we will see what I have time left for. Probably lots of weekend warrior backpacking.

Backpacking/Hiking:
Deadhorse Lake
Allsop lake
Priord Lake
Amethyst Lake
Ryder Lake
McPheters Lake
Kermsuh Lake

Red Castle Lake
Henrys Fork Lake
Four Lakes Basin
Naturalist Basin
Cuberant Lake
Kamas lake
Lofty lake
Teal Lake
Bench Lake
Ibantik Lake
Notch Lake
Clyde Lake
Booker Lake

Fairlyand Trail Bryce
Zion Narrows
Hackberry Canyon
Buckskin Gulch Paria Canyon
Dark Canyon
Salt Creek Needles
Needles/Chesler Park
Little Wildhorse
Goblin Valley

Happy Canyon
Spooky/Peekaboo
Coyote Gulch
Fifty Mile Canyon
Willow Gulch
Delta Pool
Negro Bill Canyon
Virgin Springs Canyon

Grand Gulch
Fish/Owl Loop
Muddy Creek Chute possibly float it
Robbers Roost
The Irish Canyons
Swett/Woodruff Loop
Maidenwater
Spring Canyon
Pleasant Creek

Sheets Gulch
Sulphur Creek
Lower Muley Twist
Halls Creek Narrows
Death Hollow
Little Death Hollow
Silver Falls/Choprock Loop

River Trips:
Grand Salmon – Middle Fork to Main to Lower – Boundary Creek To Hellars Bar (Sept – Oct)
Grand Canyon Colorado River
San Juan River
Green River Lodore
Green River Deso Gray

Westwater
Ruby Horsethief
Cataract Canyon
Yampa River
Dirty Devil River
Escalante River
Middle Fork Salmon
South Fork Salmon
Main Salmon
Lochsa
Selway
Owyhee

Bruneau

Based on how outdoor activities have been the last few years my goals for 2019 are not that ambitious when compared to others on here, but may still be hard to accomplish for me.

1. Hike at least 100 miles.
2. At least 5 nights in a tent or our casita
3. 5 snowshoeing or winter hikes

Anything above that will just be a thrilling bonus.

sounds a bit like my plans will be

Everything is gonna be determined by how big or small of winter we have this season.

Ideally these are some of the adventures on the list in no particular order:

Spider Lake- Uintas
Henry’s Fork- Uintas
Ruby Mountains- Nevada
Four Lakes Basin- Uintas
Erickson Lakes- Uintas

The usual haunts both Wasatch and Uintas. Some car camping with the family and of course the annual trip to the Oregon coast.

It will be interesting to see what 2019 will bring!

@Windy that's a pretty good life list for anybody in the intermountain west!

Thanks @LarryBoy. This is really just a running list of things I have done and that I want to do since I moved to Utah. I have a million other things I would add to this for my home state of Idaho.

My goals are definitely more vague haha, but I actually have some this year! I am still striving to hit what are probably considered basics lol
  • Day hike in snow
  • Hike and soak in a natural hot spring
  • See a cactus flower
  • Visit Fern Canyon
  • Backpack outside of California
  • Find a backpacking partner
  • Hike with my dad

I always read this... always come up with a list and then always seems something or other gets in the way of me completing it :(:rolleyes:

However, like a few others have said... I am gonna try harder this year! Of course some of this will depend on how much snowpack we get this year, how work goes, etc. So far I think I will try to knock a few off this list:

1. 40 mile Capitol Creek Loop with a possible extra day tossed in to climb peak to get another 14er off my list.
2. Climb Longs Peak again this year but this time go via the Loft Route. If I get all wild, then will go up the Loft Route and down the KeyHole.
3. Camp in the dunes of Great Sand Dunes National Park in the fall once the crowds are gone and the skies clear and cool.
4. Multi-day trip to the Rawah. I went up to Twin Crater Lakes last year but think I want to stay out more than one night.
5. Climb Kit Carson via Colony Lakes (shorter drive for me I believe).
6. Would love to get over to Chicago Basin... but not so sure how that whole area is doing after the wildfires.
7. Would like to do a chunk of the CDT but since I normally do out and backs or loops, not so sure which part or the logistics of it.

If all else fails... I just want to get at least 15+ nights outdoors... even if its the park near my house :dance::dance:

Top of my list for 2019 is to gear up! My oboz sawtooth's have been a great companion over the last decade from Alaska to Colorado to Utah. Thinking about the salomon XA Pro 3Ds as a good all around shoe. Also need a new, bigger tent. And to use it more than 3-4 nights per year. I'm less than 2 hours to the AT so I have no excuse. As far as trails. I want to do the Knifes Edge/ Katahdin. I was there two years ago and it was rainy and foggy so it was a no go . South Guardian Angel too. I got off trail last year and ate up too much time and had to abort. I have discovered where I zigged when I should have zagged and will give it another shot this year, weather permitting.

Hey, @LarryBoy come on up to Tom Miner this spring and I'm sure you'll see at least one bear.

As for 2019, I still want to go to Tuktoyaktuk, which is my #1 goal. (I just ordered my Canada Parks pass for 2019.) This means serious deprivation to afford it. No lattes for me. :eek:

And I want to see the sandhill cranes migrate through Nebraska this spring plus spend some time in the Red Desert (WY).

Last edited:
Hey, @LarryBoy come on up to Tom Miner this spring and I'm sure you'll see at least one bear.

As for 2019, I still want to go to Tuktoyaktuk, which is my #1 goal. (I just ordered my Canada Parks pass for 2019.) This means serious deprivation to afford it. No lattes for me. :eek:

And I want to see the sandhill cranes migrate through Nebraska this spring plus spend some time in the Red Desert (WY).
Does that mean we're actually gonna get Trip Reports from @Rockskipper??

I always read this... always come up with a list and then always seems something or other gets in the way of me completing it :(:rolleyes:

However, like a few others have said... I am gonna try harder this year! Of course some of this will depend on how much snowpack we get this year, how work goes, etc. So far I think I will try to knock a few off this list:

1. 40 mile Capitol Creek Loop with a possible extra day tossed in to climb peak to get another 14er off my list.
2. Climb Longs Peak again this year but this time go via the Loft Route. If I get all wild, then will go up the Loft Route and down the KeyHole.
3. Camp in the dunes of Great Sand Dunes National Park in the fall once the crowds are gone and the skies clear and cool.
4. Multi-day trip to the Rawah. I went up to Twin Crater Lakes last year but think I want to stay out more than one night.
5. Climb Kit Carson via Colony Lakes (shorter drive for me I believe).
6. Would love to get over to Chicago Basin... but not so sure how that whole area is doing after the wildfires.
7. Would like to do a chunk of the CDT but since I normally do out and backs or loops, not so sure which part or the logistics of it.

If all else fails... I just want to get at least 15+ nights outdoors... even if its the park near my house :dance::dance:
That's a cool lineup! If you're looking to get some CDT action in, there's a cool loop you can do beginning at Cottonwood Pass. From the pass, take the new CDT north to near Lake Anne Pass, then take the old CDT south all the way to near Alpine Tunnel. Jump back on the new CDT and head north back to Cottonwood Pass. Maybe 40 or 50 miles total? Idk