Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Rockskipper

No ETA
Also very sorry to hear about your cat. Something about Siamese that really grabs at your heart. They're really smart.

I came through the SLC area on the 8th and kept running into what looked like butterflies by the score, esp. further north near Brigham City, but I never could make out what they were. Are the Painted Ladies migrating through? I felt terrible - I must've killed several dozen. By the time they got close enough to try to identify, they'd turned into windshield decor.

Last edited:

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Artemus

I walk
I had to have my Siamese cat (Blue) of sixteen years put down yesterday which really put me in a funk. The best thing thing that I could think of to get her off my mind was to hike, so my family made our way up Grandeur Peak via the Dragon Tail Route this morning. Along our way, we saw a hawk, a chukar, a grouse and a rattlesnake. This rattlesnake was pretty good sized, and much bigger than the two we saw two weeks earlier coming off of Mount Wire. Again, we saw lots of sign of elk on this route. I have never seen sign of them along Dragon Tail before.

View attachment 77901
That way!

View attachment 77902
Hard to see, but there is a rattlesnake in the middle of the image. He started buzzing at me, and at first I
couldn't located him even though he was very close. Nice camouflage kept my eyes from picking up on
him right away.

View attachment 77903
His rattle is visible in this shot if you can make it out. He had started crawling into a crevice when I was
my camera out to take his picture.

View attachment 77904
Katie, making her final push to the summit

View attachment 77905
On top, along with a Painted Lady
Good bye Blue...

scatman

Also very sorry to hear about your cat. Something about Siamese that really grabs at your heart. They're really smart.

I came through the SLC area on the 8th and kept running into what looked like butterflies by the score, esp. further north near Brigham City, but I never could make out what they were. Are the Painted Ladies migrating through? I felt terrible - I must've killed several dozen. By the time they got close enough to try to identify, they'd turned into windshield decor.
I believe they are migrating. We saw too many to count on our hike yesterday and I am seeing a lot of them on my walk home from the office during the week.

06.jpg

One we saw yesterday on a patch of snow in a footprint just below the summit.

Artemus

I walk

We have a record Painted Lady migration going on. Probably connected to the record wildflower bloom in Mexico and southern N. America.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/05/08/no-its-not-just-you-there/

Last edited:

Artemus

I walk
When you need to get out and walk and around the town is the best you can do at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just teasing you, buddy. I feel your pain. Luckily I can walk only about a mile or two on a trail and am still tapped out at this point in my recovery. Much of the trails around my house are opening up if you want dry feet come over...

Miya

Because I am able.
I had to have my Siamese cat (Blue) of sixteen years put down yesterday which really put me in a funk. The best thing thing that I could think of to get her off my mind was to hike, so my family made our way up Grandeur Peak via the Dragon Tail Route this morning.
So sorry for your loss! Good for you guys getting out there to do something healing.

Artemus

I walk
What are you recovering from? I sure hope it's not from the bag game fall.
Right shoulder tune-up surgery. They called it minor and it was all arthroscopic but at week five it is still kicking my butt. Better every day. Now I can pull on my socks and shift the truck's shifter. Long ways from climbing again. No it wasn't that rib injury falling trying to keep up with YOU in the bag game!