Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Invisible at the moment. But she’s watching you! [emoji2]

Gesendet vom iPhone mit Tapatalk

Getting an early Uintas fix

58018d1a5bd0fc0741781d443df43048.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what was your food situation for 62 days?

also, lookin good.

Thanks

About all I want to shoulder is 12 days at a time. That’s 24 lbs. of food, 1.5 lbs. of fuel and packaging totaling about 27 lbs. The first two loads are a little lighter, 4 then 2 lbs. They are each nearly identical. I arrange backcountry resupplies in advance. Costly in both time and money but so worth it to stay out.

96DDA65C-0E0E-426F-8BA8-DB4E0ADD0D9F.jpeg
June 23, 2016 my friends basement in northern Colorado

Thanks

About all I want to shoulder is 12 days at a time. That’s 24 lbs. of food, 1.5 lbs. of fuel and packaging totaling about 27 lbs. The first two loads are a little lighter, 4 then 2 lbs. They are each nearly identical. I arrange backcountry resupplies in advance. Costly in both time and money but so worth it to stay out.

View attachment 63395

fantastic

I think I may have spoken to you for a while in Hailey Pass last year. Are you the guy that formerly owned a backpack you called "Lurch?"

That sure was me. So nice to chat with you. Love meeting other people who are excited to backpack. I hated that pack like no other. If I recall you were using one from the same company, and loving it. As with so many things, either it fits or it doesn’t.

Last edited:
That sure was me. So nice to chat with you. Love meeting other people who are excited to backpack. I hated that pack like no other. If I recall you were using one from the same company, and loving it. As with so many things, either it fits or it dosen’t.

Nice to see you here! I'm betting you've got some great knowledge to share here from your extended backpacking trips in the Winds. And yes, I'm still using that pack, and really liking it.

Thanks

View attachment 63395

So, you use 2# of food per day. You've obviously learned by experience. I shoot for 1.5# to reduce load weight but I wonder if I am undereating. Course I am only out 4-8 days at a time too. When you are out for this long do you find it tough to not lose weight? I am freeze dried food ambivalent? Any secret to maintaining your appetite with such a diet?

Last edited:
So, you use 2# of food per day. You've obviously learned by experience. I shoot for 1.5# to reduce load weight but I wonder if I am undereating. Course I am only out 4-8 days at a time too. When you are out for this long do you find it tough to not lose weight? I am freeze dried food ambivalent? Any secret to maintaining your appetite with such a diet?

I've learned what I can tolerate/enjoy. routine. The first load of food is not that much above 1.5# per day. Believe me, I'm interested in load reduction but, as the days add up I want more to eat. Running a significant calorie deficit when out for a week or so is not a big deal. If you feel sated and are not getting run down energy wise, it is all good. Sometimes my appetite has trouble keeping up with supply. Other times I hit it hard. I set out a daily ration of snacks each morning and try to finish or not exceed it. Even after years of carefully choosing I can still find myself rejecting an item for a time but hunger gets powerful. I do lose weight, about 2# a week at times. Bumping up the daily ration in the past couple of years has helped reduce that loss. I don't want to feel run down, but it is not a problem to lose some mass, it comes back to me quick enough. If I was out on a thru hike that loss might be problematic and I would have to eat more but thru hikers get to binge in town. I have a freeze dried dinner every night, night after night. There are 4 flavors that I really like and a few more I think are ok. On some resupplies I'll short myself one dinner and then split a veggie one and add trout. I am not much of a chef at home and I really like the simplicity of my backcountry routine.

this one's for @scatman ....

10259919_10203648051147712_1669373094822461998_n.jpg

the only time I've worn a kilt ... a couple years ago for a mud run. The slightly pained expression on my face is because I'm freezing cold after crawling through tunnels full of muddy water, running through mud trenches ... and it's flurrying. Good times.
All for good cause.

View attachment 63467

the only time I've worn a kilt ... a couple years ago for a mud run. The slightly pained expression on my face is because I'm freezing cold after crawling through tunnels full of muddy water, running through mud trenches ... and it's flurrying. Good times.
All for good cause.
Whoa! What was the good cause? Good on ya.

All for good cause.

@kwc, you've been holding out on us. That kilt was made for you! It gives you that Gaelic toughness look. :) Great shot and a great cause!

Thanks

View attachment 63395

Holy crap!

Amazing!