Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Skipper asked if I was friends with Ranger Action Jackson.
That one doesn't count because it was a rhetorical question, since he said he saw Bigfoot and everyone knows he mistakenly saw you.

Is it the uncanny valley? (This one doesn't count, either, because I'm just trying to be a smarta@@)

I explored the Kaʻu Desert again on a pretty stormy day.
I climbed on top of Puʻu Koaʻe and discovered steam vents up there. These are definitely not known to anyone
The Cinder Cone erupted about 250 years ago.
I was thrilled to find these up on the rim while enjoying the views of the surrounding area.

puʻu%20koaʻe%20selfie%202-XL.jpg

mesuring%20selfie%20puʻu%20koaʻe-XL.jpg

measuring the thermal area

on%20top%20of%20puʻu%20koaʻe%20copy-XL.jpg

Puʻu Koaʻe and the June 3rd eruption site to the left

big%20crack%20selfie-XL.jpg

checking out the cracks again
The cracks are fascinating. Thanks for showing us these places!
The bold red patches among the brown are so striking. Is that just iron? Or something else?

Mrs. TractorDoc and myself. It is easy to determine where we are. :)

GOPR1267A.jpg

Back to Scatman's game. I know very well what he is doing, but someone else needs to give the answer. Most BCPers must be out in the backcountry somewhere. :)

@Rockskipper : Are you in Yellowstone? @scatman : Yes!
@TractorDoc : Are you in a Valley? @scatman : Yes!
@Rockskipper : Are you on the Grebe Lake Trail? @scatman : No!
@Rockskipper : Do I win a prize? @scatman : No!
@TractorDoc: Are you on a Trail? @scatman : No!

Next question. Are you doing something naughty?

View attachment 135414

Back to Scatman's game. I know very well what he is doing, but someone else needs to give the answer. Most BCPers must be out in the backcountry somewhere. :)

Are you on a mountain?

Naughty according to whom?

Last edited:

View attachment 135414

I think you photoshopped this.

Naughty according to who?
According to certain wildlife regulatory agencies maybe. . . ?

C'mon, @TractorDoc do tell!
I've been sworn to secrecy -- excepting the occasional clue via question of course.

I think you photoshopped this.
My photoshop skills are marginal at best @Bob . I know you have spent time around me and find it hard to believe someone like Mrs.TractorDoc would keep my company, but I assure you she is real. :)

TD ... Good you didn't come this week .. I've had 1 1/4 inch at the house since Monday
It snowed on us in the park on Thursday evening (12th?), and there was still a little on the ground the following morning around Canyon. We could not see what was up on Mt. Washburn then because it was surrounded by clouds.

View attachment 135414

I'm pretty sure that after this picture was taken, @TractorDoc made his way to the east and down the seldom used trail off the east side of Washburn. At the 8200 foot contour, he takes a sharp left to explore the old Howard Eaton Trail. It's attracted him like a magnet. He proceeds along this historic trail through the pass east of Washburn, across the Antelope Bear Management Area (hint, hint @Rockskipper ), down Antelope Creek towards benchmark 7112. He is then picked up incognito by Mrs. Tractordoc, who is an accomplice on this illegal hike, on the Grand Loop Road. Barely escaping the Rangers who are hot on their tails, Tractordoc returns for a Cold Smoke with the most notorious, most nefarious, low down, law breaking (hint, hint @Rockskipper) scoundrel the Park has ever known. God knows at least that's what I would have done! :scatman:

Back