Album The members of backcountrypost.com

You trade the Sub for van and camp trailer?

I could never give up the Sube Bob. That setup is my friend's that I go car camping with in the Uintas once every summer. He gave up his tent three years ago now. He is officially a wuss in my book for sleeping in a trailer. :D

I went to see the Doobie Brothers last night in concert, and on the way home, the check engine light came on in the Outback, so I took it down this morning to see what was going on with it. Of course once they got the car, the check engine light decided to go off. They did give the Sube the once over and said that things like tie rods, U joint boots, and a piece of the tailpipe all needed work. So without my car today, I completed a seven mile walk up City Creek this morning.

For @Rockskipper and @Ugly
02.jpg
02b.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg

I went to see the Doobie Brothers last night in concert, and on the way home, the check engine light came on in the Outback, so I took it down this morning to see what was going on with it. Of course once they got the car, the check engine light decided to go off. They did give the Sube the once over and said that things like tie rods, U joint boots, and a piece of the tailpipe all needed work. So without my car today, I completed a seven mile walk up City Creek this morning.

For @Rockskipper and @Ugly
View attachment 134683
View attachment 134685
View attachment 134686
View attachment 134687
View attachment 134688
View attachment 134689
View attachment 134690
View attachment 134691
View attachment 134692
Our old Subaru (from years ago) had "check engine light" on for about a decade. Like the boy who cried wolf - we never knew if a real problem was brewing. We never did have a problem with the engine but eventually got rid of it for other issues.

Car computer should have stored the error code..... did they read it?

Well, Iʻm still alive.
Between two massive magma intrusions that cracked and buckled the road in the park, a successful half marathon without any training, and a hurricane where I got 19 inches of rain in 24 hours, I ventured deep into the park's backcountry.
I walked on lava, which probably no one has walked on for a long time. I found a crazy new heat source: heat was coming out of the trunks of some lava trees, which is insane.
I fought with Pele, and she won and sent me to the ER with a cut-up leg. But first, I finished my hike, which was more important than getting stitches. Well, life as a hobby volcanologist has priorities, lol

chain%2012-XL.jpg

documenting some of the new road damage for USGS

enjoying%20the%20road-XL.jpg

Walking the buckled road - I call it Peleʻs speed bumps

chain%2028-XL.jpg

Some of the offset by the earthquakes is impressive

_SA99220-X3-XL.jpg

Finish line shot: I walked the half marathon and was actually much faster than many runners.
I had an advantage: I walk in the park daily, which has many ups and downs, so the 1100 ft elevation gain during the half marathon was a piece of cake.

mako%2026-XL.jpg

Selfie at Makaopuhi Crater in the Middle East Rift Zone

mako%2036-XL.jpg

I found this little hornito in the backcountry

20240619-SA103756-200-XL.jpg

Massive cracks destroyed the trail: I measured it yesterday, and my 15-foot measuring tape could not reach the bottom. The cracks are about 3-5 feet wide and undercut, so jumping from one end to the next is not the best idea.

And then there are a lot more off-trail explorations across lava where you find interesting stuff

massive%20lava%20ball-XL.jpg

Accretionary lava ball with me for scale

walking%20the%201920%20fissure-XL.jpg

I follow the fissure of the 1920 eruption site

crossing%20the%20aʻa-XL.jpg

I had to cross this half-mile-long Aʻa flow: watch your step, itʻs all loose rubble with razor-sharp edges

And I will not post a gross picture of my bloody and beaten-up leg; it took them over an hour to clean it up and stitch it up.
The fun part is that it happened on an official trail, not an off-trail lava trek. So I guess I should walk more off-trail as Iʻm more careful on these challenging adventures, lol

I explored the Kaʻu Desert again on a pretty stormy day.
I climbed on top of Puʻu Koaʻe and discovered steam vents up there. These are definitely not known to anyone
The Cinder Cone erupted about 250 years ago.
I was thrilled to find these up on the rim while enjoying the views of the surrounding area.

puʻu%20koaʻe%20selfie%202-XL.jpg

mesuring%20selfie%20puʻu%20koaʻe-XL.jpg

measuring the thermal area

on%20top%20of%20puʻu%20koaʻe%20copy-XL.jpg

Puʻu Koaʻe and the June 3rd eruption site to the left

big%20crack%20selfie-XL.jpg

checking out the cracks again

Back