Album The dogs of backcountrypost.com

I haven't posted here in AGES but when I (finally!) read this thread I had to reply...

We got a little Wheaten Terrier a couple of months ago, and I'm really looking forward to taking him on some hikes when he's a little bigger and hardier. This is Chester. He's four months old and currently 16 pounds. He won't end up as big as baltocharlie's Jack (his parents were much smaller - closer to 30 pounds) but we've purchased the Mountainsmith small pack also, in preparation for some hiking next summer. Looking forward to bringing Chester down to some of my favourite Utah hiking spots, eventually, too.

uryvujaz.jpg

ravu7usy.jpg

Chester is just ridiculously cute.

@Nanda - I'm bad with breeds but I was thinking maybe the spotted parts were indicative of blue heeler as well. Any guesses on what else? Some sort of australian cattle dog or something? Sometimes I think her face almost looks like the chihuahua we are currently fostering. Yeah, I sort of have 6 dogs at the moment...

Here's a couple shots of her that might make it easier to get an idea. Taken in the truck while we were running errands today. White, long haird dog + black interior = no bueno.

20131223_125811.jpg

20131223_125211.jpg

6 dogs, damn. Here in South jordan you can only have 2 dogs per household, not sure if it applies to fostering or not(and not that I am looking for more dogs). I am not good with breeds either unfortunately. Australian shepherd also seems plausible though, as her fur seems kinda on longer side. How energetic is she? Those breeds are supposed to be full of energy, I think.

Yeah, we have three full-time, and we're fostering two, and then Sage came along. We got a special license from the city though so we're legal. Definitely need to get one of the fosters adopted ASAP though! We didn't intend to foster two but one of them got adopted and then they had to come back (the fault of the adopter).

If anyone wants to adopt these cuties, they'll both be at the Best Friends Sugarhouse adoption center from 11am-5pm on Christmas eve!

Ellie - suuuuuper sweet and super mellow pit bull terrier. (until you put her in a kennel, in which case she breaks out. working on it...)
https://www.facebook.com/ibenick/media_set?set=a.10152052475239004.1073741852.541209003&type=1

Brando - (Chihuahua mix)
https://www.facebook.com/ibenick/media_set?set=a.10151994253279004.1073741847.541209003&type=1

Oh, I forgot to answer... She's super athletic but not overly energetic. I've been working long days lately in front of the computer and she has spent them curled up at my feet under the desk.

Oh, I forgot to answer... She's super athletic but not overly energetic. I've been working long days lately in front of the computer and she has spent them curled up at my feet under the desk.

Cool. sounds exactly like one of my dogs, spending curled up under computer desk when I am working.

I love Sage's long ears! Reminds me of some of the near-feral dogs I saw in Mexico.

Woah! How did I miss Sage?

She looks awesome @Nick , I bet her and Mya would love to play. I'm excited to see her in her element.

I'm thinking of a trip in the Upper Paria area that would be perfect to take them out together. Perhaps @langutah would join with Merlin and we'd have a pack of working dogs. :)

I think Sage and Mya would get along fabulously. Both pretty similar sized dogs with great energy. And I'd love to get out and meet Merlin. I took Sage out over New Years and I'm pretty blown away at how awesome she is in her element. Perfect hiker and it was her first time. 35 pounds of pure awesomeness. 2014 is definitely going to be the year of the dog for me. Let's do it!

IMG_6683.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

My parents dog, Kayda. She gets excited every time she sees my car pull up to their house!
Kayda.jpg

My Niece's dog, Kate. She named it after Kayda! We went snowshoeing at Snow Basin last Saturday and she just LOVES the snow!! As soon as we'd let her off her leash she'd go like mad! Here she is tearing through the snow!
Kate.jpg

I haven't posted here in AGES but when I (finally!) read this thread I had to reply...

We got a little Wheaten Terrier a couple of months ago, and I'm really looking forward to taking him on some hikes when he's a little bigger and hardier. This is Chester. He's four months old and currently 16 pounds. He won't end up as big as baltocharlie's Jack (his parents were much smaller - closer to 30 pounds) but we've purchased the Mountainsmith small pack also, in preparation for some hiking next summer. Looking forward to bringing Chester down to some of my favourite Utah hiking spots, eventually, too.

uryvujaz.jpg

Wheatens and mud!! Don't know what it is but they seek the mud. When Jack(my wheaten) sees mud he dives into it. When he was a pup hiking in W.Va he dove into a deep puddle and was entirely covered in the stuff. Very difficult to clean off while camping. They are cute though, once cleaned. Great hiking dog but be prepared for him to wander(hunt) a bit. Jack has been know to disappear for up to 30 minutes, just wait on the trail calling/whistling, he'll be back. I have better control of him now but he still goes when in hunt mode. He easily does over 15 miles. He can do more, I can't. He loves snow, water and mud, not a fan of heat though. Plays well with other dogs and lil' kids. Plus he's a chick magnet(when cleaned of mud). Wish I had one before I got married:) Enjoy him.

@Nick another dog! More dogs than boats, better buy that raft.

I decided to pony up $65 and get a DNA analysis done on my new backcountry wonderdog, Sage. I picked up the Wisdom Panel 2.0 from Amazon. The package came with some cheek swabs and a prepaid label to send them in. A few weeks later, we got this report emailed to us. The results are pretty interesting, the only thing they seem off on is their predicted adult weight for her which is high by about double. She weighs 35 lbs and is about 15 months old, it says she'll be between 46-71 lbs. I guess she's still young though. Either way, I'm very satisfied and glad I did it.

The summary is below, or if you want to check out the full PDF they sent me, you can download it by clicking here (9.4 MB). I removed some personal info and non-pertinent info from the PDF but there is some interesting stuff in there for people who might be interested in doing the same.

upload_2014-1-31_18-8-25.png

A shot of Sage on the BMT earlier this month:
IMG_9308.jpg

Did I post this one already? I don't care. It's cute.
20131229_145335.jpg