Album The dogs of backcountrypost.com

My two outdoor buddies are Mira, my 7 yr old Australian Shepherd, a basket case rescue dog who has turned into a really great hiking dog and Yukon, a 6 yr old lab mix, who's stamina on land isn't all that great but he'll swim for hours.

Mira enjoying some sun while hiking at Goblin Vally State Park

Mira - Entrada Canyon by heronwheels, on Flickr

Yukon, sacked out at our Stanton Creek campsite after a long day hiking and driving the Burr Trail

Enjoying the Sun by heronwheels, on Flickr

A few pictures of Molly. Tucked in for a cold night in the Sawtooths.
View attachment 7975

Looks like she gets pampered like my dogs.... Her own wool blanket and duvet!

One late October I drove into a trailhead in the Sawtooths late Friday night and it was 11 degrees. Opened the back of the truck to let the dogs out and a snowstorm of down puffed out. My future wife Becky's dog, Scout, came out tail-wagging, grinning ear to ear with down stuck to her eyes, her nose and her gums. My down bag was toast but did she have fun. Had to squeeze into one bag with Beck. And we still got married....

My two outdoor buddies are Mira, my 7 yr old Australian Shepherd, a basket case rescue dog who has turned into a really great hiking dog and Yukon, a 6 yr old lab mix,

They are great! Mira is lovely. Looks like she is sporting an ultralight backpack.

Thanks! They are a pain sometimes but can't imagine not having them around, I wish I could pack them on my motorcycle when I go on trips :)Your dog Merlin is a pretty good lookin' guy...those blue eyes are great! Mira is wearing a light pack, the Ruffwear Singletrack. We don't backpack but hike a lot so I figured I'd harness her limitless aussie energy and let her carry a little bit of water and pack out her poop. The pack comes with two collapsible Platypus .5L bottles so it's not too heavy for her. She seems a lot more suited to our desert trips than my lab (other than pad problems - any ideas on toughening up pads). I had a bit of a heat exhaustion scare with Yukon last year, I feel terrible for putting him in that situation but hopefully the lessons I learned will keep him chipper this coming April.

A few pictures of Molly. She's almost 11, but still loves going everywhere.

I love those grey hair goggles!

How about pics of dogs stealing my sleeping bag? :)

Patina on her first backpacking trip after a night of trying to kick me out of the bag.
IMG_3713.jpg

Nikita poking out the foot of the zipper after a cold night at Kermsuh Lake. She usually manages to stay pretty warm. I've rarely had to stuff her in the sack with me.
IMG_4498.jpg

Molly! She is great! And still backcountry snow traveling at 11. Nice.

Thanks! She loves the winter (and sleeping in the sun at home). Her goggles are great. I almost don't recognize her in pics before she had them. She loves the tent. As soon as it's up, she's at the door asking to go in.

I'm sure the pups had a lot of fun with that bag. And anyone who will go camping in the teens is a keeper!

Here's one enjoying a relaxing soak in a hot spring on a cold day.
PC247447ed (Large).jpg

She might be too old to go on long hikes nowadays, but she is always within a few feet at home. That's the gear wall in the background, right behind my desk. :)

20130403_231611.jpg

And now I feel bad for leaving out the 'middle child' in our family. Here is Patina, named such because her fur has a distinct resemblance to desert varnish; the patina on canyon walls. We usually just call her 'Pooh' though. She was not the happiest dog for the first few years of her life. Once we figured out she has a wheat allergy, life has been much better and she might just be the happiest dog we have. Patina is half doberman and half pure white pit bull. I dare you to look at that grin and not smile...

patina.jpg

I really love all the recent shots!!
Nick, I know your gang, they are each great in their specific way. And Nikita really is a nice old lady now. ;)

River :

how sad Molly looks, what a heart melting view.

Keliko :

you have two nice ones!! Love your Bullmastiff, I grew up with one many many years ago and simply love them.

Keliko :

you have two nice ones!! Love your Bullmastiff, I grew up with one many many years ago and simply love them.

Thanks, I've always loved larger dogs, and fell in love with the breed after pet sitting for a client. He honestly has the most confident, easy going, curious, playful nature about him.