Album The dogs of backcountrypost.com

Thanks all for your great pictures of your canine friends! More, please....

When the snow is deep, gotta throw a frisbee for fetch...

Dan, your picture of Zoe made me bust out laughing ! The doughnut hole frisbee is also one of Luna's (aka Lunatic's, aka Looney's) favorite toys. Course she has 30-40 favorite toys and if we put them all up she will retrieve sticks, stones or tree leaves in lieu of...

Her two prefered means of carrying her frisbee in a meadow in the Wasatch:

frisbee_1.jpg

frisbee_2.jpg

This is Torrey. She's a Brittany Spaniel--purebred, I think. I adopted her from the animal shelter in Payson, where her owner abandoned her as a puppy after she got parvo and he didn't want to pay for the treatment. I got her when she was four months old--she was a little skinny but otherwise healthy. She's been a great hiking/camping companion.

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_9324.JPG

that big newf of yours is beautiful! How does he do with other dogs?
Thank you. He does really well with other dogs. We've worked hard to socialize him with other people and dogs because the last thing you want is an out-of-control 150# dog. Most everybody is his friend.

And, leatherman, will that big newf turn all black as it ages?
No, he'll keep his white. We have 3 Newfs, and 2 of them have white on them.
Newfs are not great hiking dogs because they do tend to overheat. When I take him hiking it's only to places with lots of water and we only hike in the mornings if its hot out, which for him is anything over about 75. They spend the summers sleeping inside on the airconditioning vents.
My wife runs Idaho Newfoundland Rescue.

Here's the whole herd.

P1070047.JPG

it seems especially common with collies, they can be very neurotic. and depending on how they were conditioned in the litter, i wouldn't say it surprises at all to have one be very timid or socially stunted. zoe has some of those characteristics too - though she has warmed up as she gets older to strangers.

Well, he was the runt of the litter. Very tiny, but he's now bigger than his sister. Whenever he gets food he eats it really fast still while deb will just kind of pick at it and take her time. Very weird how that plays out with dogs.

oh man I love dogs. Mine's a aussie/heeler mix. She's very active and while she's very timid/shy around new people once she's warmed up she's one of the most lovey dogs ever.

525486_764888929581_1216223208_n.jpg

this is from a backpacking trip in may in death hollow. she LOVES water, and fetch (though normally its all about tennis balls).

422645_810606446311_744831773_n.jpg

Her on a Hike up ferguson canyon in Sept

Malek, a Siberian we adopted when we he was 5, he died when he was 12. He was obedient when we were at home (amazingly) yet when we went backpacking together he basically told me where to stick it and did what he pleased. He always came back to our campsite though, or would not get too far ahead on the trail.

I0000PaSE2i_WY5A.jpg

Here is my dog. Rocky is a brindle chihuahua. I adopted him when he was 3 because his last owner had too many dogs. I have owned him for 2 years now, he is a strong hiker.
Here he is in Ding Canyon
IMG_0431.JPG

Here we are resting in the shade near Capitol Reef.
IMG_0932.jpg

CeCe on our almost daily 2 mile hike into Millcreek Canyon (Moab). Rain, snow or shine.

She's a 3 year old Husky / Sheppard / ???? mix we rescued (adopted) when she was just 6 weeks old.
that sounds like a great breed. i love the look of huskies, but worry they won't be great on multiday adventures.

Here is my dog. Rocky is a brindle chihuahua. I adopted him when he was 3 because his last owner had too many dogs. I have owned him for 2 years now, he is a strong hiker.
Here he is in Ding Canyon

Rocky is great ! Doesn't that big old metal thing weigh him down?? :) He is hiking Dang then he is one tough hombre... Thanks for the pics.

Here is the sherpa dog Merlin again. After a long hard day with a pack on he has to lay down for a nap and he always prefers a pillow.

Sometimes any old thing will do (notice: no animals were harmed in the making of this picture - he chose his own napping place):

merlinPilow_2.jpg

Even at home he prefers a soft pillow over not using one at all:

merlinPilow_1.jpg

Rocky is great ! Doesn't that big old metal thing weigh him down?? :) He is hiking Dang then he is one tough hombre... Thanks for the pics.
That metal thing is his city license tag and it is pretty light, aluminum I think.
Really like this thread, everyone has some great looking dogs.

that sounds like a great breed. i love the look of huskies, but worry they won't be great on multiday adventures.

Now problem with her on extended adventures. This last Saturday we hiked most of the day - about 7-8 miles and was still ready for more!

I'm really loving the variety of dogs this group has.