The Before/After thread

You GO boy! Take your rain jacket. Thunderstorms at the house tonight. Beck was up there two weeks ago training for our Jellystone trip.

Before: Heading up Middle Basin for the day. Haven't been to Ryder Lake for probably twenty years.

After: Turned out to be a really long day. 19.1 miles... but I did it!

09950242fe7f399331488acf7f0f85c9.jpg

a52d1710dc05405db210fcb37905b717.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before: Heading out in the morning on the Bear River-Smith Fork trail to Cataract Basin Pass for the day. If it looks doable I might go off trail at the pass and explore along the rim above the basin. Fingers crossed for smoke-free skies

Last edited:
Before: Heading out in the morning on the Bear River-Smith Fork trail to Cataract Basin Pass for the day. If it looks doable I might go off trail at the pass and explore along the rim above the basin. Fingers crossed for smoke-free skies

During: I managed to get cell service up here on top. Can you name the peaks?
6e97e0354eb26b91a28d850e6ef9fe1f.jpg

Before: Heading into Granddaddy Lakes Basin Saturday morning for the day. Hoping the smoke is not bad as last weekend.

Before: I don't normally post plans here but I have been planning this trip for a year and the stoke factor overfloweth. Leaving Friday for a three week trip to northern Italy, the first week of which will be in San Vigilio, the heart of the Dolomites. This part of the trip is recreating a trip in 2002 that was shortened by an early snowstorm. Hopefully we will get more via ferrata done this time.

The view of some of the classic dolomite towers from the Great Dolomite Highway:

publishSmWr-1-3.jpg

The crew before one of our via ferrata ascents. Unfortunately this time I will have to brave the climbing without my custom-painted China Cat (Sunflower) soft helmet I was wearing then.

publishSmWr-1-2.jpg

Before: Heading into Granddaddy Lakes Basin Saturday morning for the day. Hoping the smoke is not bad as last weekend.

After: Some really beautiful lakes in that area...

81f9d475336b3c855375233ec1ab58ca.jpg

b7d5cb4f3e814b89478daa99c9d310b5.jpg

Unfortunately, the south winds kicked up mid-afternoon and, once again, brought in the smoke from the Pole Creek/Bald Mountain Fire
886a67d06223c927a23e207b20185659.jpg