The Before/After thread

Before: Heading to The Maze again this weekend. This time around it's a mountain bike trip with 4WD support. Going to spend a night at the Maze Overlook and another over at The Wall. If anyone knows of anything cool I shouldn't miss, let me know. I've camped in the Land of Standing Rocks, The Dollhouse, and down in the Maze and I've also hiked up to the Maze Overlook, but I've never driven between Flint and the Overlook before.

After: Made it to the Maze Overlook and out into the Land of Standing Rocks as planned. Taking an F150 through Teapot Canyon was an experience I may not repeat. I did a fair amount of damage to my vehicle, at least $2-3k if I get it all fixed. Most notably the fact that I need an entirely new set of tires now. On the way home I had one blow out that took out my wheel well lining with it. Wires were hanging down on the exploded tire when I pulled over. After looking over my other tires, it seems that some of the narrow spots on the trail gouged rubber out of my sidewalls to the point you can see the light layers underneath. I knew I should have swapped them out for BFG AT's when I bought it. I also have a relocated exhaust pipe and a handful of other scrapes and dents. Worth it? Totally. Oh, and we also took a trailer out there! Fun trip. Full trip report coming sometime this winter.

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg

IMG_0218.JPG

BEFORE: Oops I waited to long to post and was out of cell range :(
Anyway Notch Mountain Trail from Bald Mountain Trailhead to The Notch and back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BEFORE: Oops I waited to long to post and was out of cell range :(
Anyway Notch Mountain Trail from Bald Mountain Trailhead to The Notch and back.

AFTER: Managed to make it all the way. I think I have found my mileage limit for a day hike... 13.6 miles.
20161029_123658.jpg

Before: Got a night alone tomorrow, so I'm planning on taking advantage of the warm temps and doing a quick overnighter to Lake Blanche as soon as class is out. Hopefully most people have quit backpacking there for the season. I'll be racing the sunset.

If anyone is feeling particularly crazy and wants to join, PM me.

Well, this is embarrassing. Got up to the lake, pulled out my tent, and attempted to set it up. Should have remembered how much slickrock and how little dirt/grass is up there. Should have brought my freestanding tent. I could barely get the TarpTent stake loops to stay underneath the rocks I put on them, and even when I got them to stay, there was no way they'd hold enough tension for me to get an acceptable pitch. I could have hunted around for some soft ground to put stakes in, but I couldn't see much anywhere nearby. So I ate my two Clif Bars, shoved the tent in my pack, and ran/speedwalked back to the car. 10 minutes left before sundown when I headed back.
I had a very close encounter with a moose, but luckily it didn't go on the offense. I was surprised to pass two pairs of day hikers (night hikers?) headed up to the lake on my way down. And then I rolled my ankle twice. Worse than I ever have before. Lots of nice words were uttered, especially the second time, and I limped through the dark back to the car.

Lesson learned from this: think twice about the ground you'll be setting up camp on.

I suppose I could've cowboy camped, but I've never done that before, and I figured things would be getting frosty up there tonight. It was still a pretty fun experience, all things considered. I kind of enjoy unexpected hardship (assuming my life isn't in jeopardy) when I'm out. Makes things more memorable, and even kind of fun going through it.

Anyway, here's a picture. I guess I can get around to writing my TR from my August Winds trip with all this free time I have now.

20161111_164637_lzn.jpg

After: Made it to the Maze Overlook and out into the Land of Standing Rocks as planned. Taking an F150 through Teapot Canyon was an experience I may not repeat. I did a fair amount of damage to my vehicle, at least $2-3k if I get it all fixed. Most notably the fact that I need an entirely new set of tires now. On the way home I had one blow out that took out my wheel well lining with it. Wires were hanging down on the exploded tire when I pulled over. After looking over my other tires, it seems that some of the narrow spots on the trail gouged rubber out of my sidewalls to the point you can see the light layers underneath. I knew I should have swapped them out for BFG AT's when I bought it. I also have a relocated exhaust pipe and a handful of other scrapes and dents. Worth it? Totally. Oh, and we also took a trailer out there! Fun trip. Full trip report coming sometime this winter.

View attachment 49912

View attachment 49914

View attachment 49913
Holy Moley! What an adventure. I don't remember so much drama taking a much smaller SUV out there. I think I will walk it next time. :) Can't believe you bent my favorite truck.

Was that a Trail Edition 4Runner?

Holy Moley! What an adventure. I don't remember so much drama taking a much smaller SUV out there. I think I will walk it next time. :) Can't believe you bent my favorite truck.

Was that a Trail Edition 4Runner?

Yes! Jetboat is the way.

Here's a mini trip video

Really enjoyed that video, you should make some more. Beautiful hike. Seems like a very peaceful place.

Really enjoyed that video, you should make some more. Beautiful hike. Seems like a very peaceful place.
Thanks for the kind words. I've got one coming. Had been waiting for my editing software to arrive. (30 day free trial expired [emoji15] )

BEFORE: At first light tomorrow - Clyde Lake Loop (counter clockwise)
dba6a7c7080a3efb70370b14eddc6c2a.jpg

Last edited:
BEFORE: At first light tomorrow - Clyde Lake Loop (counter clockwise)
dba6a7c7080a3efb70370b14eddc6c2a.jpg

AFTER:
It's hard picking a favorite picture from this trip... so many beautiful lakes... so here's a fun one..
78e597aa937d2d514dbe4b867d8e66ce.jpg

And... a super moon bonus...
52c8d7992a2fff650b38f80c0791158c.jpg

And... I got done so early I did the Bald Mountain Trail! Wow!

3ab6a3887ff0587df15d5c9ee0f7cd47.jpg