Album Summit Shots

Hiked up Sherman yesterday. Five down, 48 (?) to go I guess.

Went with a buddy who had never hiked a 14er and was (lied to) told by someone that Sherman was the easiest one. Untrue and certainly not accurate in high winds, deep snow, and ice everywhere.

I made it up, he did not. I have some perverse form of survivors guilt for leaving him 3/4 a mile from the summit to wait for my return, lol.

Couple from the top:

850.IMG_4713.jpg

850.IMG_4699.jpg

This summer I had the pleasure of hiking Mt Peale the highest peak in the la Sal’s
710EC1BD-5BAC-40A9-B74E-98310AF54890.jpeg

A couple more summer wasatch eleveners Provo peak
and east Provo peak.

Provo peak
84EFB516-1145-49EC-A327-9A1CAC09FF5F.jpeg
View of Provo peak from east Provo peak.
FF57AF92-54EA-4ABA-8C6D-EAEDB69C4738.jpeg

Always enjoy a good fall hike up to Ben Lomond and Willard peaks.

View of Willard peak from Ben Lomond.
8B296481-3A1C-47B2-8EE9-5DC5AAB732C6.jpeg

Ben Lomond
B68E18BA-53CA-4BC0-BB4E-DB624C3E730F.jpeg
View of Ben Lomond from Willard peak.
FCE0D05D-0560-4225-B97C-F5EE24623D25.jpeg

This October I had the pleasure of hitting two more wasatch eleveners: north peak and Mt Nebo.

View of mt nebo from north peak.
CDC7FD28-8EC0-4770-B35D-1059A4E2F6DD.jpeg
View of nebo’s middle and south summit from Mt Nebo summit.
F5E23110-972F-4C52-A5A0-A5D2B5CE0107.jpeg

Closer view of the exciting Ridgeline that runs between mt nebo and the middle mt nebo summit. The south summit is in the background.
F6B38881-5109-4751-BB79-98C0F69060FD.jpeg

Willard Peak

206a399032dc1f5e1e373ee7c4552d9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this may be the first true named peak I've ever hiked. Harney (or black elk according to google) in the black hills of South Dakota.

Attachments

• 20180111_123203.jpg
    20180111_123203.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180111_123315.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Hiked up Sherman yesterday. Five down, 48 (?) to go I guess.

Went with a buddy who had never hiked a 14er and was (lied to) told by someone that Sherman was the easiest one. Untrue and certainly not accurate in high winds, deep snow, and ice everywhere.

I made it up, he did not. I have some perverse form of survivors guilt for leaving him 3/4 a mile from the summit to wait for my return, lol.

Couple from the top:

View attachment 58168

View attachment 58167
Good on ya for summiting Mister. What did you use for the ice - cramps or microspikes? I am betting you don't need to feel guilt for leaving your buddy for a short time while you were summiting while he was in a safe and secure position. He was likely encouraging to you to go.

Good on ya for summiting Mister. What did you use for the ice - cramps or microspikes?

I have a pair of Kahtoola microspikes. I don't remember if I used them on Sherman or not, but they were a lifesaver on Mt Democrat and its neighbors.

I have a pair of Kahtoola microspikes. I don't remember if I used them on Sherman or not, but they were a lifesaver on Mt Democrat and its neighbors.
Microspikes rule! I have used them, planned, or on demand because I often carry them when I MIGHT need them. They have saved my bacon many times this time of year and I find I can use them many places that I used to require crampons.

Microspikes rule! I have used them, planned, or on demand because I often carry them when I MIGHT need them. They have saved my bacon many times this time of year and I find I can use them many places that I used to require crampons.

They're very good. I don't know what sort of situation I'd find myself in where they would fall short and only full crampons would get me through. Maybe straight ice climbing or something.

They're very good. I don't know what sort of situation I'd find myself in where they would fall short and only full crampons would get me through. Maybe straight ice climbing or something.

Yeah, they wouldn't front point very well on high angle ice and after a certain angle wouldn't suffice for French technique (aka pied a plat or flat-footed technique)

Now before you claim that you are not, I will say that you and many of the folks here are mountaineers. We travel the high and wild and sometimes there is steep snow and even ice on the approach or on the ascent or descent. Sometimes we don't even know these tricky sections will be there until we need to get down them to get home. I strongly encourage you to learn and equip yourself for some moderate snow climbing and being able to safely travel on low angle or even medium angle ice. It is better to learn and practice somewhere safe or in a classroom than need the skills up on the mountain. It will also give you confidence to push your limits.

Snow climbing and ice climbing are not my personal favorites either but as a well traveled mountaineer I would say these skills are essential. The skillful travel of high angle snow and ice requires some knowledge and practice:

Try these:
https://www.climbing.com/skills/french-technique/
http://blog.alpineinstitute.com/2009/08/in-balance-out-of-balance.html
And, especially, Climbing Ice by Yvon Chouinard

Luna on Ice - early on in her mountaineering career Luna eschewed traction devices and knowledge. She quickly came around and now is very experienced at the age of 80. But she still won't wear microspikes. Earlier, in her youth, on the North Fork of the Provo below.

Luna on Ice - early on in her mountaineering career Luna eschewed traction devices and knowledge. She quickly came around and now is very experienced at the age of 80. But she still won't wear microspikes. Earlier, in her youth, on the North Fork of the Provo below.

Poor Luna needs some microspikes!