Pre-trip Preparation

Rockskippers way ahead of you guys. I’m already out here and posting using satellite stuff. Whatever that is. That’s just what the Ranger called it. The Thorofare ranger and I have our own nefarious plans. I’m not sure what they are yet, that’s again just what the Ranger called it. Nefarious. Nefarious plans.

Make sure the Champagne is on ice Skipper. :thumbsup:

I have a 30 degree down and a 15 degree synthetic -- I thought the synthetic might be the better choice if rain was a concern especially over a longer span of nine nights. Should I reconsider the down bag? :thinking:

I'm leaning towards a single liter bottle plus the water bladder -- mostly because that is easier to pack for the plane. The bladder is actually lighter than the liter bottle.
how cold do you sleep? Looks like thru Sunday forcast is 40s, maybe get to 30 id guess in the canyons ... with morning humidity. Can always wear your puffy. Thermals maybe? What is your weight difference on the down vs syn? Would thermals still save you weight? If weights close...go the 15.

Water bottle heavier that bladder? wow. My platypus 1L weigh like 2 oz and fold up when no water in them.

how cold do you sleep? Looks like thru Sunday forcast is 40s, maybe get to 30 id guess in the canyons ... with morning humidity. Can always wear your puffy. Thermals maybe? What is your weight difference on the down vs syn? Would thermals still save you weight? If weights close...go the 15.
I may have told you a fib Bob. I'm a sucker for outlet stores, and I remembered that earlier this year I picked up a new synthetic Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Spark sleeping bag rated for 32F (more like 35F). I did not really need it, but couldn't pass it up for the price. It could be a good option as it would save me over a pound and a half -- even if I bought an extra pair of sleeping thermals. The puffy could also be layered on as you say.

I'll think on it overnight.

Water bottle heavier that bladder? wow. My platypus 1L weigh like 2 oz and fold up when no water in them.
I see where you are coming from now. I'll be bringing my BCP hard sided Nalgene bottle -- have to show support for the site you know. I have a couple of those Platypus "bottles," in fact I was thinking of using one as a replacement for my heavy flask. ;)

I may have told you a fib Bob. I'm a sucker for outlet stores, and I remembered that earlier this year I picked up a new synthetic Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Spark sleeping bag rated for 32F (more like 35F). I did not really need it, but couldn't pass it up for the price. It could be a good option as it would save me over a pound and a half -- even if I bought an extra pair of sleeping thermals. The puffy could also be layered on as you say.

I'll think on it overnight.

I see where you are coming from now. I'll be bringing my BCP hard sided Nalgene bottle -- have to show support for the site you know. I have a couple of those Platypus "bottles," in fact I was thinking of using one as a replacement for my heavy flask. ;)
Had a MH Ultralamina bag for many years.... I think it was a 25 deg. I slept warm in it 99% of the time. Hated the half zip style tho. Bought a Western Mountaineering down..... Only place where water may not be everywhere is on the Buffalo Plateau, but its there adequately. So bladder not needed unless you want a large amount in camp.

Only place where water may not be everywhere is on the Buffalo Plateau, but its there adequately. So bladder not needed unless you want a large amount in camp.
Honestly the bladder in more or less a backup. I did not plan on filling both; it might be nice to sip on the hose as we climb up the pass(es) though.

It is small (1.5L?) and I thought it wise to have a backup in case something happens to my main water bottle. I've been hiking with Hugh for a few years now and it is inevitable that I will pick up habits from him. . . he seems to lose water bottles on a regular basis. :)