Pre-trip Preparation

I bet they roll out a red carpet for us!

Edit: Or, they may lock and bar the door when they see us coming.

If anyone is even there, that is. :)

Since it might be my last time in the Thorofare, I'm not only expecting a red carpet, but champagne to boot. :)

What will be our first toast?

What will be our first toast?
To a swift and blister-free ascent of Mojo Pass!

And the final packing has begun. Now we can see what a real pack is supposed to weigh. :D
I've already moved on to squeezing things into airline luggage -- 18lbs of food takes up more space than I thought!

When I made a rough weigh in of pack, essentials, and all my camera gear it registered right around 30lbs. That is without food, liquids, stove fuel, and bear spray. Cannot take the last two on the plane. ;)

All loaded up I'll probably start out somewhere in the mid 50lb. range.

I'd probably be about 8lbs lighter without the camera, batteries, power bank, etc., but could not talk myself into using something lighter this time.

That should make @scatman 's pack seem light as a feather. :)

I've transferred my snacks to Ziplocks, and have accumulated all the clothes I am taking. Is my 30 degree bag going to do the trick?

I've charged all my batteries too. What am I forgetting? :)

Is my 30 degree bag going to do the trick?
You guys almost had me talked into bringing my 30 degree down bag, but all the earlier talk of rain scared me into going back to synthetic -- of which I have a 15 degree bag. So that is what I am taking.

What am I forgetting? :)
Here is my checklist:

Backpack. Pack Cover. Tent. Sleeping Bag. Sleeping Pad. Water Filter(s). Stove. Spork. Water Bottle(s)/Bladder. Headlamp. Water Shoes. Compass. Map(s). Hats (one warm, one for sun). Trekking Poles. Sunglasses. Camp Towel. Shovel. TP/Wipes. Sunscreen. Rain Pants/Rain Jacket. Clothes -- for trail and for sleeping. Camera(s). Batteries/Power Bank. Charging cables. Food. ID/Cash.

You tell me what I'm forgetting. :)

You guys almost had me talked into bringing my 30 degree down bag, but all the earlier talk of rain scared me into going back to synthetic -- of which I have a 15 degree bag. So that is what I am taking.

Here is my checklist:

Backpack. Pack Cover. Tent. Sleeping Bag. Sleeping Pad. Water Filter(s). Stove. Spork. Water Bottle(s)/Bladder. Headlamp. Water Shoes. Compass. Map(s). Hats (one warm, one for sun). Trekking Poles. Sunglasses. Camp Towel. Shovel. TP/Wipes. Sunscreen. Rain Pants/Rain Jacket. Clothes -- for trail and for sleeping. Camera(s). Batteries/Power Bank. Charging cables. Food. ID/Cash.

Looks like you've got it covered, but the spork may be your downfall. :D

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, If no one else can help and if you can find them. Maybe you can hire, The A-Team.

stickers-the-a-team-hannibal-smith.jpg

Looks like you've got it covered, but the spork may be your downfall. :D

Here is my checklist:

Bring 1 water filter. No bladder, 2 liter bottles. No compass... That will save you a little. I don't bring rain pants cause legs get wet anyway with condensation.. maybe as wind protection I guess. 15 degree is overkill. Canyons can be cold even in summer 20ish would suffice.... Or you can wear your puffy, gloves, socks and hat in the 30 one

15 degree is overkill. Canyons can be cold even in summer 20ish would suffice
I agree. But alas, I am not @scatman and I do not have a room full of sleeping bags to pick from. :)

I have a 30 degree down and a 15 degree synthetic -- I thought the synthetic might be the better choice if rain was a concern especially over a longer span of nine nights. Should I reconsider the down bag? :thinking:

I'm leaning towards a single liter bottle plus the water bladder -- mostly because that is easier to pack for the plane. The bladder is actually lighter than the liter bottle.

My compass is not a high quality unit -- maybe an ounce or two, but I get that every ounce counts.

So are the plans to kidnap @Rockskipper and bring her along still in full swing?
Rockskippers way ahead of you guys. I’m already out here and posting using satellite stuff. Whatever that is. That’s just what the Ranger called it. The Thorofare ranger and I have our own nefarious plans. I’m not sure what they are yet, that’s again just what the Ranger called it. Nefarious. Nefarious plans.

I'd get out of this guy's way if I saw him coming down the trail. I might even get my bear spray ready.

I think you should wear that exact outfit for the boat ride. :)

03-jpg.123708

I'd get out of this guy's way if I saw him coming down the trail. I might even get my bear spray ready.

I think you should wear that exact outfit for the boat ride. :)

03-jpg.123708
Get him walking and it will be hard for him to stop....inertia

Mine is still at 33 lbs, no water...... didnt put on weight overnite.