Noobs: Introduce Yourself!

I'm brand new to writing anything on internet forums, but I've been watching this one since the beginning of the year and finally decided it was time to join. I just got back from a trip up to the Unitas and have been planning on writing a trip report. I've actually got it written now, and just have to figure out how to post it. I'm excited to be a new member and providing some experiences I've had, since I've had so much fun reading everyone else's.

I'm brand new to writing anything on internet forums, but I've been watching this one since the beginning of the year and finally decided it was time to join. I just got back from a trip up to the Unitas and have been planning on writing a trip report. I've actually got it written now, and just have to figure out how to post it. I'm excited to be a new member and providing some experiences I've had, since I've had so much fun reading everyone else's.

Awesome! Glad you finally signed up and looking forward to the report!

One tip on posting trip reports that you write ahead of time: If you write your trip report in another program, save it or copy it as plain text before pasting into the editor here on backcountrypost. That way you don't copy all the formatting like text color and font along with it. You can also click the little icon on the top right of the editor window that looks like two 'A's and then paste and it will remove all the rich text formatting. To switch back to the rich editor, just click 'Use Rich Text Editor' in the bottom left corner.

Welcome to backcountrypost!

Hi, my name is Dave... and I'm a NOOB. I am originally from Bountiful but now live in Lehi. This site is awesome! My passion, like so many here, is the High Uintas and the Wind Rivers, where I usually spent much of the summer fishing , hiking, and backpacking. There are some excellent TR's and pictures here. Like Nick's last report, I have done a lot of 2-4 day trips, but have had the Highline on the bucket list for some time. So on Aug 30th, me and a buddy will try it in about 8 days (need time to fish), so if anyone has some good tips on campsites etc., I'm all ears. Also, I'm no photographer but will be sure to post a report and pics.

hi guys! i'm a nub. i'm from the great city of memphis, tn and spend almost every weekend doing something related to the outdoors. mountain biking, kayaking, and longboarding are my goto activities, but i pretty much have tried everything once. on the side i'm a photographer and a videographer shooting small productions for local businesses and music groups.

Hello! I'm from the SLC area. I had to join because of the amount of great info posted on this site, the great community, and of course the amazing photos. Whenever I get a chance I'm out in the hills, in search of the remote, silent, and forgotten.

Hi, my name is Dave... and I'm a NOOB. I am originally from Bountiful but now live in Lehi. This site is awesome! My passion, like so many here, is the High Uintas and the Wind Rivers, where I usually spent much of the summer fishing , hiking, and backpacking. There are some excellent TR's and pictures here. Like Nick's last report, I have done a lot of 2-4 day trips, but have had the Highline on the bucket list for some time. So on Aug 30th, me and a buddy will try it in about 8 days (need time to fish), so if anyone has some good tips on campsites etc., I'm all ears. Also, I'm no photographer but will be sure to post a report and pics.

Stoked for you on the Highline! I debated giving it a go around that time but the shorter days, being solo and scoring the time off made me decide to wait until next year.

I can tell you where the good spots to camp would be in some sections but not all since I didn't complete it. Here we go..

Deadman Lake looked like a great place to camp, especially if you don't get started first thing in the morning and aren't trying to make it really far that first day. Once over that next unnamed pass between Deadman and Whiterocks, the prime spots are fewer. As you may have seen in my TR, Whiterocks Lake itself is hideous and no good for camping or fishing because of it. Dollar Lake was okay with a few fish but we had no luck pulling any out although we didn't try too hard, Dan was the only one who fished and it was with a Tenkara so a spin setup might do okay. Still not many actual fish in there though.

There are a lot of meadows between Whiterocks and Chepeta that could make great campsites and possibly even have some stream fishing although I didn't really pay attention as we went through.

Now skip the rest of the trail all the way over to Red Knob…

Dead Horse & Ejod Lakes are awesome and would make an excellent place to setup camp. I've seen pictures of some huge fish out of Ejod in particular.

Over Dead Horse Pass in Rock Creek, Ledge Lake is cozy, has some nice cliffs, a waterfall and good fishing. The Lakes up around Jodie Lake are crap, most of them are all drained out as of 2007 and again this year when Dan and Cody went through. Pics of Reconnaissance look cool but it's way above tree line so no shelter. If you take the high road through Rock Creek, Helen and Lightning are both nice lakes with good fishing. Black Lake has good fishing but the scenery is meh. Ouray is kind of shallow and swampy and again, not high on the scenery factor. A couple good campsites on the north end though. Start up a thread in the trip planning section if you have more questions. Cody and Dan probably have more suggestions and langutah did the whole thing just last year so he may as well.

My name is Jeff. I live in SE Michigan and belong to a local backpacking/outdoors club.

I often volunteer with the club to teach others how to backpack, use map and compass, etc.

Last year I climbed Mt Rainier and My Olympus. This year, I'm spending 2 weeks in the Adirondack high peaks area of upstate New York.

Next year, I have my sights set on the Wind River Range, and I've already begun to look at topo maps, routes, etc. I have a few Wind River guidebooks on order as well.

My parents consider being "outside" sitting in their screened in porch. So, it's probably not a surprise that I came to backpacking later in life—my late 30s. I'm trying not to make the same mistake with my kids. We do a fair amount of car camping, geocaching, and day hikes—no backpacking trip yet. Haven't been able to convince my wife, but I haven't given up, either.

So far I've been to the White Mountains, the Smokies, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and next month the Sawtooth Mountains. All of those previous hikes were with a small Canon SD730. This year I want to take better pictures. So, I just purchased a Panasonic G3 and am trying to remember all I learned in my college photography class. So far, not much.

While looking for a camera bag/pouch to use while hiking (probably getting the Clik Elite Micro) I stumbled across this great forum... a place that combines two of my newest activities.

Been lurking for a little while and finally decided to introduce myself.

Hello everyone.

I'm coming to this site as an outdoorsman who is rediscovering his backpacking roots. I did a bit of backpacking in the scouts but as an adult my attention primarily turned to fishing / hunting. After hiking 4 miles in to a small backwoods lake recently, I found myself recalling all the fun backpacking adventures when I was younger.

Luckily, many of the things I carry in my EDC bag are the very things typical to backpacking loadouts (and I have duplicates) and so my initial cost outlays are much lower than many people starting out.

I have a small hike scheduled for this Sunday and a decent 2 day backpacking trip set for the end of this month. I wonder how my new gear will perform :)

I have been reading this site for a couple of years now. I love Nick's trip reports and pictures! It only took my husband 26 years to convince me to try backpacking and now I love it. Unfortunately we have not gotten out once to backpack this summer but we have done a few canyoneering trips with WMC and a trek to Machu Picchu. We are planning to go this weekend and Labor Day weekend as well and hope the weather holds out so we can go a few more times in September. We have only done day hiking down south due to water concerns but may have to give that a try this year as well. I love all the info on this site - what a great resource. Keep those trip reports and pictures coming!

Stoked for you on the Highline! I debated giving it a go around that time but the shorter days, being solo and scoring the time off made me decide to wait until next year.

I can tell you where the good spots to camp would be in some sections but not all since I didn't complete it. Here we go..

Deadman Lake looked like a great place to camp, especially if you don't get started first thing in the morning and aren't trying to make it really far that first day. Once over that next unnamed pass between Deadman and Whiterocks, the prime spots are fewer. As you may have seen in my TR, Whiterocks Lake itself is hideous and no good for camping or fishing because of it. Dollar Lake was okay with a few fish but we had no luck pulling any out although we didn't try too hard, Dan was the only one who fished and it was with a Tenkara so a spin setup might do okay. Still not many actual fish in there though.

There are a lot of meadows between Whiterocks and Chepeta that could make great campsites and possibly even have some stream fishing although I didn't really pay attention as we went through.

Now skip the rest of the trail all the way over to Red Knob…

Dead Horse & Ejod Lakes are awesome and would make an excellent place to setup camp. I've seen pictures of some huge fish out of Ejod in particular.

Over Dead Horse Pass in Rock Creek, Ledge Lake is cozy, has some nice cliffs, a waterfall and good fishing. The Lakes up around Jodie Lake are crap, most of them are all drained out as of 2007 and again this year when Dan and Cody went through. Pics of Reconnaissance look cool but it's way above tree line so no shelter. If you take the high road through Rock Creek, Helen and Lightning are both nice lakes with good fishing. Black Lake has good fishing but the scenery is meh. Ouray is kind of shallow and swampy and again, not high on the scenery factor. A couple good campsites on the north end though. Start up a thread in the trip planning section if you have more questions. Cody and Dan probably have more suggestions and langutah did the whole thing just last year so he may as well.

Great looking out Nick. I appreciate the tips on campsites and etc... It's been a long time coming and I hope to come back with some good pictures and will certainly report on the fishing. Thanks Again!

I have been reading this site for a couple of years now. I love Nick's trip reports and pictures! It only took my husband 26 years to convince me to try backpacking and now I love it. Unfortunately we have not gotten out once to backpack this summer but we have done a few canyoneering trips with WMC and a trek to Machu Picchu. We are planning to go this weekend and Labor Day weekend as well and hope the weather holds out so we can go a few more times in September. We have only done day hiking down south due to water concerns but may have to give that a try this year as well. I love all the info on this site - what a great resource. Keep those trip reports and pictures coming!

Hi StephB, welcome to our sport and our love of nature and the wilderness. On backpacking the south... the red rock desert and our Wilderness in southern Utah... there is more public land in the dry country in Utah than there is mountain Wilderness :) And many of the same people here that enjoy the High Country in the summer enjoy the Desert Country in the south in shoulder seasons and winter. Water is part of the planning process. There is plenty if you pay attention and you spend your days walking from water hole to water hole. Don't let water concerns discourage you. Research and ask for help. The WMC is a great organization and sponsors many, many desert trips too.

Again, welcome.

Great looking out Nick. I appreciate the tips on campsites and etc... It's been a long time coming and I hope to come back with some good pictures and will certainly report on the fishing. Thanks Again!

Hi Dstring Dave ! Good on 'ya on doing the Highline! You are going to love it. Don't listen to Nick. :) Don't skip to the trail from Chepeta to Red Knob. He was sick so he skipped it - BUT YOU DON'T HAVE to.

On campspots... many abound. Don't sweat it. Walk until you are tired and then pick a spot. Or walk until your mileage goal. I pick spots on the edge of treelines with long views and trees for lightning shelter. A view of the stars is paramount although I had trouble staying up until deep dark on my crossing due to some unanticipated tiredness (tongue fully in cheek). A highlite for me in was way up high in the Upper Yellowstone just after passing Anderson pass under Smith's Fork Pass. Under Red Knob pass to the southeast is another spectacular camp spot on a lake and near there, Crater Lake. Just ask Nick about that one.....

Need any other advice? Be safe, be well and enjoy nature!

Art Langutah

Hi all! Have been watching the site for a while now, I love photography and the outdoors. Recently moved back to Michigan's Upper Peninsula from Saratoga, WY. Now I just need to get some vacation time built up and get some trips in the works.

Hello, my name is Joe, I live in Philly, and I just got back from a cross country road trip with my gf. It renewed my love of the outdoors after living in Philly for a while now. I have some gear already, but have been looking to be able to do some over night hikes instead of just car camping! Woohoo!!!

Hello All, I found this site through flickr, but mostly NateGeesaman.

I get out as much as possible, and the further out I go, the more I need it. I've loved all the TR's I've read, so I figured I should start participating and not lurking.

Back