Missing hiker in Uintas - Ray Humpherys

I am continuing to update an online map with information as I get it (so positions are subject to change).

(Edit: Map link removed)

For people who are unfamiliar with the area, this shot shows the general area as seen from the northeast ridge of Mount Watson. The camera is looking west-northwest. The gorge of the Middle Fork Weber River runs laterally across the frame. Ray had to have crossed that gorge (and the river) to reach the spot from which he was recovered.

Hidden Lake Humpherys.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the updated topo, it really makes it obvious how weird this is. The campsite is at ~10300', the river is at ~9500' and he was found at ~10100'. Not only did he travel 1.5 miles, but he descended and ascended a decent amount as well. It is hard to imagine an experienced person not recognize that kind of elevation change, especially since getting to the lake shore and back would not involve much elevation change at all.

I'm glad the family did not have to wonder for the next year or more what happened, but I'm sure they are still going to be puzzled/troubled by this for a long time.

That photo really does show how truly odd his behavior was. Even if he was really panicked, you'd think he would have noticed the lake once he got up higher.

Nothing about this case makes any sense. Not only did he not stay put when he realized he was lost within what the first 5 minutes? He then proceeded to wander for who knows how long, AND crossed a major river? I could understand that behavior from a young kid, but a grown adult with lots of backpacking experience? It just doesn't make sense.
Totally agree

I think some people lose their bearings in the dark. I stay out in the dark quite a bit out there, so I personally feel totally comfortable at night walking away from camp. It does helps I have two Luci Lamps lit up in camp. Hard to miss those.

If he had a water bottle and a headlamp where was he going? Especially in the hours he was reported missing in. Even with a headlamp I would not attempt a descent in that terrain after dark unless I had to. I've seen it in full daylight. Looks almost as fun as descending the cliffs above Adax Lake.
Nothing about this case makes any sense. Not only did he not stay put when he realized he was lost within what the first 5 minutes? He then proceeded to wander for who knows how long, AND crossed a major river? I could understand that behavior from a young kid, but a grown adult with lots of backpacking experience? It just doesn't make sense.
I find your comment to be rather cold. It seems quite obvious to me that Mr. Humpherys was mentally impaired at the time; and this has nothing to do with age or experience.

I find your comment to be rather cold. It seems quite obvious to me that Mr. Humpherys was mentally impaired at the time; and this has nothing to do with age or experience.

I don’t feel that their comments were meant as a disparagement of the victim but rather trying to explain rationally something that cannot be understood by a rational person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you tell me where I mentioned anything about age? Not sure why I was quoted in your post. I've been to this lake and the area he desceded. His family supposedly had been visiting this lake backpacking for nearly 30 years according to the story in the Park Record. Experience is everything out there. He knew the area. If you visit an area that much, you learn it forwards and backwards. Which makes it even more bizzare how he could have gotten lost and wandered into the area he was found in. The Middle Fork Of The Weber from Hidden Lake is a steep descent to the river. Steep on the other side as well. I have been on both sides of this drainage, Adax and Anchor Lakes on the west side, and Hidden Lake on the east side and on the pass above Long Lake looking down the entire Middle Fork drainage.

This was a star trail I shot from the rise just west of Hidden Lake last time I was there. You can see that the terrain drops off at the horizon line in the photo. And you can see across the drainage how steep the terrain is. I am sorry you found my comments cold. But I respectfully disagree with your quoting my post in regards to your comments.

3763792_orig.jpg

Last edited:
I am continuing to update an online map with information as I get it (so positions are subject to change).

Click here to view on CalTopo
For people who are unfamiliar with the area, this shot shows the general area as seen from the northeast ridge of Mount Watson. The camera is looking west-northwest. The gorge of the Middle Fork Weber River runs laterally across the frame. Ray had to have crossed that gorge (and the river) to reach the spot from which he was recovered.

View attachment 66803

Now seeing your post, its got me asking was he trying to hike to Anchor Lake? He was found pretty close in terms of his where his body was located. Which means he descended, crossed the river, and then ascended the west side. That seems more intentional than just being lost. The rocky area just west of Hidden Lake in your photo is where I shot the star trail I posted above. You can draw a straight line on that Topo you posted from Hidden Lake to where he was found. Why do this during sleeping hours? Puzzling to say the least.

Now seeing your post, its got me asking was he trying to hike to Anchor Lake? He was found pretty close in terms of his where his body was located. Which means he descended, crossed the river, and then ascended the west side. That seems more intentional than just being lost. The rocky area just west of Hidden Lake in your photo is where I shot the star trail I posted above. You can draw a straight line on that Topo you posted from Hidden Lake to where he was found. Why do this during sleeping hours? Puzzling to say the least.

Thanks to everyone for the detective work and pictures. I’m so hoping the family will have more answers soon about their loved one. One scenario I cannot seem to get out of my head is.....did he come back to camp, put fire out?Was he very quiet so no one heard?They were all asleep. He went to bed and woke up really early at 5, did a solo and was hoping to b back within a couple hours or abt the time the family was getting up for breakfast. When he was on his solo did he run into a wild animal? Or something may have caused the fall or injuries trying to get away from something like that. We may never know for sure. Prayers for the family.

Thanks to everyone for the detective work and pictures. I’m so hoping the family will have more answers soon about their loved one. One scenario I cannot seem to get out of my head is.....did he come back to camp, put fire out?Was he very quiet so no one heard?They were all asleep. He went to bed and woke up really early at 5, did a solo and was hoping to b back within a couple hours or abt the time the family was getting up for breakfast. When he was on his solo did he run into a wild animal? Or something may have caused the fall or injuries trying to get away from something like that. We may never know for sure. Prayers for the family.

I thought about that as well, but I think they said the 2 gallon water jug was missing. I can't see him taking that on a cross country hike. I'd assume he would have had better water bottles. Either way, it is really a sad deal.

I thought about that as well, but I think they said the 2 gallon water jug was missing. I can't see him taking that on a cross country hike. I'd assume he would have had better water bottles. Either way, it is really a sad deal.

I’m curious exactly what you heard about the two gallon jug. Was it that the family actually said it was missing or was it they saw him take it to get water?

I’m curious exactly what you heard about the two gallon jug. Was it that the family actually said it was missing or was it they saw him take it to get water?

From my understanding he was seen with it when he went to get water and when they found him missing, the water jug was also missing.

From my understanding he was seen with it when he went to get water and when they found him missing, the water jug was also missing.

So then both Ray and the jug left camp with the family's knowledge and both he and the jug never returned. So, as @uintafly said, it does sounds unlikely he had any other intentions beyond getting water.

I can't recall where I heard it, but what Nick said is also my understanding. I also assume that if the jug was back at camp, that would have been a big deal and would have been more publicized. Plus, if he shot out for a quick morning hike, wouldn't an experienced hiker at least take a pack with some limited gear?

A little off topic, but incidents like this are exactly why my kids never leave my sight when we are in areas like this. 2 years ago we were camping at 3 divide lakes and one of my buddy's made a "helicopter parent" dig at me for not letting my then 5 year old leave camp with the other kids unless I came along. But it is just so easy for someone to get lost out there, let alone a kid.

I can't recall where I heard it, but what Nick said is also my understanding. I also assume that if the jug was back at camp, that would have been a big deal and would have been more publicized. Plus, if he shot out for a quick morning hike, wouldn't an experienced hiker at least take a pack with some limited gear?

I think this is where I read it, earlier in this thread before Ray was found:

Ray was carrying a clear, collapsible 2-gallon water container. He did have a head lamp. Neither has been located.

The jug was a clear, collapsible one. Two-gallon capacity. He took it with him to get the water Wednesday night. It was not at camp the next morning. That is direct info from the search briefings.

A little off topic, but incidents like this are exactly why my kids never leave my sight when we are in areas like this. 2 years ago we were camping at 3 divide lakes and one of my buddy's made a "helicopter parent" dig at me for not letting my then 5 year old leave camp with the other kids unless I came along. But it is just so easy for someone to get lost out there, let alone a kid.

I think you are wise.

Can you tell me where I mentioned anything about age? Not sure why I was quoted in your post. I've been to this lake and the area he desceded. His family supposedly had been visiting this lake backpacking for nearly 30 years according to the story in the Park Record. Experience is everything out there. He knew the area. If you visit an area that much, you learn it forwards and backwards. Which makes it even more bizzare how he could have gotten lost and wandered into the area he was found in. The Middle Fork Of The Weber from Hidden Lake is a steep descent to the river. Steep on the other side as well. I have been on both sides of this drainage, Adax and Anchor Lakes on the west side, and Hidden Lake on the east side and on the pass above Long Lake looking down the entire Middle Fork drainage.

This was a star trail I shot from the rise just west of Hidden Lake last time I was there. You can see that the terrain drops off at the horizon line in the photo. And you can see across the drainage how steep the terrain is. I am sorry you found my comments cold. But I respectfully disagree with your quoting my post in regards to your comments.

3763792_orig.jpg
My apologies to you. I was commenting on a post that was directly under yours by andyjaggy (probably a response to your post) where he mentioned age and experience. It is actually quite easy to get lost when you are mentally impaired at all. I am a lot older than Mr Humphreys and I have been to every lake in the western uintas. About 5 years ago I got disoriented in a remote area of the Weber Drainage which I had been to at least 4 previous times. After taking a pill for an ailment I had at the time, I for the life of me could not remember terrain, landmarks or much of anything else. At the time I was heading back. So I just followed my compass and walked straight through the forest for a couple of hours in the rain knowing that I had to travel west. It was in late August and the days were getting shorter. I decided to call it quits about 5:00 pm and gathered firewood and built a fire on a high rock ledge with about a 400 drop off and an extremely good vista and waited for morning and more clarity. The temperature was in the upper 30's and the sky was clear. I only had a sweatshirt and the night lasted forever. The next morning I had a bite to eat and figured out where I thought I was on the quad map and where I thought needed to go. I started hiking and was back to where I needed to be to leave the area in about an hours time. My whole point is that it can happen to anyone regardless of age, experience or how many times you have been to an area.

My point wasn't that he got lost because he was old. Just the opposite, that someone with his age and experience shouldn't have made such basic mistakes, thus why I commented it is such an odd situation. I think you are looking for offense where none is meant.