Missing hiker in Uintas - Ray Humpherys

My point wasn't that he got lost because he was old. Just the opposite, that someone with his age and experience shouldn't have made such basic mistakes, thus why I commented it is such an odd situation. I think you are looking for offense where none is meant.
I think you're having a hard time understanding what I am saying. You state "Someone with his age and experience shouldn't have made such basic mistakes." Well he was mentally impaired at the time. That is why he did make those basic mistakes that you refer to.

I think you're having a hard time understanding what I am saying. You state "Someone with his age and experience shouldn't have made such basic mistakes." Well he was mentally impaired at the time. That is why he did make those basic mistakes that you refer to.

While it may certainly be true, those are just assumptions. All involved: let's stop the bickering please.

My apologies to you. I was commenting on a post that was directly under yours by andyjaggy (probably a response to your post) where he mentioned age and experience. It is actually quite easy to get lost when you are mentally impaired at all. I am a lot older than Mr Humphreys and I have been to every lake in the western uintas. About 5 years ago I got disoriented in a remote area of the Weber Drainage which I had been to at least 4 previous times. After taking a pill for an ailment I had at the time, I for the life of me could not remember terrain, landmarks or much of anything else. At the time I was heading back. So I just followed my compass and walked straight through the forest for a couple of hours in the rain knowing that I had to travel west. It was in late August and the days were getting shorter. I decided to call it quits about 5:00 pm and gathered firewood and built a fire on a high rock ledge with about a 400 drop off and an extremely good vista and waited for morning and more clarity. The temperature was in the upper 30's and the sky was clear. I only had a sweatshirt and the night lasted forever. The next morning I had a bite to eat and figured out where I thought I was on the quad map and where I thought needed to go. I started hiking and was back to where I needed to be to leave the area in about an hours time. My whole point is that it can happen to anyone regardless of age, experience or how many times you have been to an area.
No worries. I get a lot of flak from some folks on here for a certain subject I'm not gonna go into. Apology accepted. Honest mistake. Sounds like you knew what to do when you got lost. I'm glad you made it home safe!

A little off topic, but incidents like this are exactly why my kids never leave my sight when we are in areas like this. 2 years ago we were camping at 3 divide lakes and one of my buddy's made a "helicopter parent" dig at me for not letting my then 5 year old leave camp with the other kids unless I came along. But it is just so easy for someone to get lost out there, let alone a kid.
After what I've experienced, my kiddos never leave my sight. You are doing the right thing.

I also feel that if the head lamp and 2 gallon collapsible water bottle can be located, maybe more questions can b answered.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nick Missing Hiker on Kings Peak General Discussion 3
K Missing 411 General Discussion 12
GarrettM Carpooling App or Some Hack I'm Missing? Resource Discussions 0
N Missing camera General Discussion 2
Parma Missing Person In Canyonlands General Discussion 2
Bob Missing the snow ? General Discussion 5
Dave Missing Boy Scout in the Winds General Discussion 7
Melissa Missing Endangered Melvin Heaps General Discussion 40
regehr 9 dead, boy missing in flash flood in Arizona swim hole General Discussion 1
andyjaggy Missing Uinta Man Found General Discussion 0
CaptnKidd Canyonlands (2010) with Mineral Bottom Switchbacks Missing.... Off Road 6
hatchcanyon The missing link to Lockhart Basin Off Road 2
Seldom Seen Anderson Missing Backpackers General Discussion 10
Nick 2 Boy Scouts Missing Near King's Peak General Discussion 6
Nick Randy Udall missing in Wind Rivers General Discussion 4
F Group Leaves Injured Hiker Behind General Discussion 3
Rockskipper 'Bear cam' viewers save stranded hiker in Alaska General Discussion 5
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
balzaccom Hiker history Backpacking 0
GramaNana Hello from Utah - future GWT hiker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 11
zionsky Hiker Dies from Fall at Angels Landing General Discussion 1
zionsky Rainier hiker back from the dead General Discussion 2
Rockskipper Hiker seriously injured by rock at Fisher Towers General Discussion 12
Parma PCT Hiker Trying to Lose 200 lbs on the Trail! General Discussion 7
N FL hiker who travels to Teton Wilderness area frequently. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Perry Hiker Dies in the Wave of Appearent Heat-related Conditions General Discussion 12
Perry Injured Utah Hiker Rescued Near Kings Peak General Discussion 9
Perry Grizzlies follow hiker - Holy Cow! General Discussion 14
regehr hiker injured and rescued in Little Cottonwood General Discussion 3
WasatchWill Runner's Toe (or Hiker's Toe) General Discussion 10
Jackson Hiker Killed by Grizzly Bear in Yellowstone General Discussion 59
Deepak YAH. Yet Another Hiker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Mr. Me Another (but Awesomer) Hiker/Photographer Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
ogg Court ruling, hiker must pay SAR bill General Discussion 12
balzaccom How did the hiker cross the stream? General Discussion 5
Vegan.Hiker Drones to be used for hiker resupply General Discussion 8
regehr Hiker death in White Pine, Little Cottonwood General Discussion 0
Vegan.Hiker East coast hiker visiting Utah Trip Planning 28
Bill Gear Review Clik Elite Hiker Gear Reviews 9
Yellowstone 1 Gear Review Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter Gear Reviews 3
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2023 Trip Planning 39
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
2eez4life Uintas Conditions 2022 Trip Planning 18
regehr Uintas this weekend? Trip Planning 4
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9
6 Uintas Trip Planning Trip Planning 5