Haunted by Washington's Tiffany Range

I enjoy making videos and posting photos. I also enjoy the loneliness of the woods. Though I've already done a video and post here I was torn about doing another one. I actually started to question why I'm doing this. My main reason that I tell myself is for higher definition memories later and so my Mom can see places she can't go herself, but there is a simple fix for my dilemma; just don't upload the videos - keep them for myself and privately send them to her. I'm not a Joey C, Cat, AdventureArchive or Stan Mills and I never will get that big. But even a 100 views feels risky to me in the crowded Cascades.

I've always enjoyed making little movies and editing them and throwing in some of my favorite songs to edit randomly. Another great love has also been having mass quantities of beautiful outdoor space just for myself. Now, with more attention than ever pointed toward the Cascades, I am probably participating in self destructing behavior... I'll continue this later in this report as it will probably be the most detailed one I'll ever do lol. Something spoke to me about this area. Hell, this website(other than youtube of course) will be my only post for this trip as there aren't many Washington residents here and this place isn't exactly a "let's take a road trip there!" destination. I'll be avoiding nwhikers.net yet again for the Tiffany Range.

Within Okanogan National forest is several high 7k and low 8k foot peaks as far east as you can go within the Cascades eastern crest. This is called the Tiffany Range. Surrounded by a sea of burn separating it from the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness and monstrous Pasayten Wilderness. It is home to eerily similar looking mountains that are housed in the NE Pasayten. These aren't dramatic mountains, they aren't the most photogenic and pictures of em' probably won't attract too many eyes. But for some reason this weird small range in the ass end of Okanogan National forest gave me a tiny existential crisis...

I had friday through sunday off and my wife wanted to take her friend camping with us. My wife happened to work till noon that saturday and the weather pointed best toward the Tiffany Range again. We wanted to head back there from our last trip but feared that it wouldn't be as lonely. So jumping into the unknown I took off a day early to grab a camping spot in a CG called "Tiffany Springs". As I rolled up midday friday there was only 1 other person at the campground. I parked on the furthest end away from them. I set up camp and my adventures began. I summited Rock and Middle Tiffany(will go into further detail below) then headed back to front country camp, have a fire (Level 1 Restrictions so designated CG's were the only place allowing fires) and drink beer! As saturday rolled around and I was sitting around camp, the uneasy feeling that I was about to be swamped by the saturday crowd rolled over me. To ease the tension I went back out and hit the summit of Tiffany and checked out Little Tiffany Lake.

As I arrived back in camp the weird stress showed back up again. "There is no saturday crowd yet but they are still coming!"
5pm passed...
6pm passed...
No one showed up. (Now mind you, I've been to A LOT of lonely and remote areas, more so than this place will ever be. Places that I won't have to worry about others intrusion due to the sheer amount of masochism required to get there. Places with MUCH more dramatic views. So, even with those areas still as options if I want alone time... why is this bugging me so much!?!?)

It hit 7pm and my wife and her friend showed up. This would be her friend's 1st non-RV camping trip ever and tomorrow would be her 2nd hike ever: so I had an unassigned task internally to find the most beautiful walking area in the range to take them. Despite an off trail route, Rock Mountain was the easiest and prettiest, so I did that. My goal was to wow them and make them see the beauty I saw, though no where near as dramatic as the Glacier Peak Wilderness, Cascade Pass or Ptarmigan Ridge.

The hike rolled around and was executed. We got to the summit of Rock Mountain and my wife's friend was in love with it. She had lived in WA longer than I have and had no idea about places like this. She was obsessed and wanted to do girls trips with my wife and backpack when her fiancee got out of the military as a big group together. My wife now finally has a hiking friend that wasn't me! She had been trying to make a hiking friend for a LOOOOONG time. Now she finally has. But that was just one of the many things that I appreciated. I saw the joy of discovering something new from the outside looking in. It was... rewarding. Come to think of it, some of the most beautiful places I've gone and seen in this state I've used other peoples (mainly nwhikers) trip reports to help facilitate my adventures. This was one of the handful of areas I've just scrounged up through staring at google sat view. It felt like my special area. And sharing it felt good.

Seeing someone else enjoy it as much as I did when I first waltzed through it made me happy. So maybe that's why I publicly upload these dumb videos... I still have no conclusion to my feelings. I don't know why this area is so dear to me despite it's mediocrity compared to all else I've done and seen this year... I guess I just wanted to vent because my wife looked at me funny when I vented to her (lol) so maybe one of you will get it...

*record scratch* or the area can end up like the Enchantments that get so trampled by the instagram crowd that it now requires a lottery permit system LOL

UXtQV7g.jpg

kQvPF21.jpg

uxcSbce.jpg
KQ6LjL9.jpg
uEAOEWk.jpg
qyToJtG.jpg

3h9H3h1.jpg

Amazing bloom! Headed up Rock Mountain.

T59KxkD.jpg

Looking back at Tiffany mountain(8245 feet), halfway up Rock. The low center point is where Lacey and I camped in the spring.
Ktn2Npj.jpg

...almost to the top! It flattens out big time toward the summit. Clark Peak(7890ft) far left
OcB3iny.jpg

At the summit of Rock Mountain(7971 feet). Middle Tiffany in the BG, headed there next thing.
RHP31lv.jpg

Weird radar device thingy up top.
hu2zPuS.jpg

Middle Tiffany (7967 feet) summit with Tiffany in the BG. I went back to the front country CG. On my way back down (off trail mid you) I found a LOAD of garbage. Amongst it was a nice front country camping tent that a hunter probably bailed on as he may not have been able to physically hack it. Tons of other abandoned heavy camp gear. I packed it all out.
ogTpGA2.jpg

Stargazing with a buzz is surreal.

Saturday rolled around, time for Tiffany & Little Tiffany Lake!
3y1rzIR.jpg

Back at Honeymoon Pass. The climb begins!
RqHh0I2.jpg

Meadow walk from Honeymoon Pass up to Tiffany.
ZI0vXHf.jpg

Almost to the top of Tiffany.
tCq9ft4.jpg

Middle Tiffany
N23VTWA.jpg

First sight of Little Tiffany lake. After summit I'll head there next to fill up on water. It seems untouched from the massive burn.
EI0FTxy.jpg

Marmot beat me to the summit!
DhQERvs.jpg

2JGOQiG.jpg

wmTN8YR.jpg
f8k2pIi.jpg

Flowers good here too. Not AS good as Rock though.
rWvknta.jpg

The summit trail on Tiffany looking out toward the mighty Pasayten.
d2MEjxr.jpg

Back at camp I set the tent up that I found the other day and it was a nice front country tent! Mine now, finders keepers!

l8Ln3Ut.jpg

Sunday I reached the summit of Rock again and awaited for an awesome picture of my Wife and her friend cresting the ridge.

I"m still thinking of this place.

I didn't realize the Cascades were crowded. I've never been, but always assumed they were generally rugged enough that most people didn't go far into them. Glad you were able to enjoy the area without having to deal with crowding. Incredible photos and looks like an incredible place. I tend to find myself drawn to places maybe a bit less grandiose by most standards, so I get the feeling you're trying to convey.

I didn't realize the Cascades were crowded. I've never been, but always assumed they were generally rugged enough that most people didn't go far into them. Glad you were able to enjoy the area without having to deal with crowding. Incredible photos and looks like an incredible place. I tend to find myself drawn to places maybe a bit less grandiose by most standards, so I get the feeling you're trying to convey.

There are tons of young physically abled peeps in the seattle metro that head out into the woods every weekend. You are correct that the rugged nature keeps most out, but to get to the more rugged areas you will need more time than just Saturday and sunday. So, being part of the saturday / sunday crowd I can usually only time commit to saturday and sunday distances. The week long trips I've done deep into the cascades have been remote and lonely, but I only have so much vacation time :( I need to win the lottery. This is mostly why I stay away from the Alpine Lakes Wilderness or Mt. Rainier in WA, as they're within 1.5 hours from Seattle (compared to the Pasayten or Glacier Peaks 3-4hr drive) so they gets hit pretty hard by the weekend crowd.

There are tons of young physically abled peeps in the seattle metro that head out into the woods every weekend. You are correct that the rugged nature keeps most out, but to get to the more rugged areas you will need more time than just Saturday and sunday. So, being part of the saturday / sunday crowd I can usually only time commit to saturday and sunday distances. The week long trips I've done deep into the cascades have been remote and lonely, but I only have so much vacation time :( I need to win the lottery. This is mostly why I stay away from the Alpine Lakes Wilderness or Mt. Rainier in WA, as they're within 1.5 hours from Seattle (compared to the Pasayten or Glacier Peaks 3-4hr drive) so they gets hit pretty hard by the weekend crowd.
Enlightening. Thanks for the response. Sounds kind of similar to the Uintas with their proximity to the Wasatch Front, but probably even worse.

I need to win the lottery too!

Great TR. The wildflowers are incredible and I'm happy you scratched the name of that location. Enough instagram craziness already. Fantastic selfie, really great shot, Lacey will be happy.

Do you and @chandlerwest have a Marmot photo contest? :)

I understand the video dilemma. Rick used to make short videos for friends and family, but he stopped making them and switched to high definition 360 spheres (stitched photos) of a few key locations of a hike. He uses Kuula to view them in, pretty cool stuff. Your time lapse photography is always awesome.

Great TR. The wildflowers are incredible and I'm happy you scratched the name of that location. Enough instagram craziness already. Fantastic selfie, really great shot, Lacey will be happy.

Do you and @chandlerwest have a Marmot photo contest? :)

I understand the video dilemma. Rick used to make short videos for friends and family, but he stopped making them and switched to high definition 360 spheres (stitched photos) of a few key locations of a hike. He uses Kuula to view them in, pretty cool stuff. Your time lapse photography is always awesome.
thank you!

Those 360 spheres are freakin awesome. My brother has one but he lives in michigan lol

"why I'm doing this", you ask yourself? I have spent hours mulling over that deeply psychological question. The easy answer has always been a cop out. My family lives back east and I want to share my other worldly (to them) adventures. It can create mental and physical gridlock trying to answer "why I'm doing this." I am currently struggling to hit the "post reply" button because my overthinking self wants to ramble and ramble.......ha. I love your trip reports. I lived in Gig Harbor for a year but never got beyond the tourist corridors.

20 years ago I worked a twelve hour shift that afforded weekdays off. I did a lot of solo hiking out of empty trailheads only to return to an empty trailhead. 10 years later I started to see more people, even on weekdays. I shifted to shoulder season hiking, cold and wet weather, to gain back the solitude. It seemed like an okay trade-off at the time, I had the gear and was in good shape. As I've gotten older being cold and wet isn't as acceptable or fun.
When I switched to a regular 5 day a week shift, driving in circles looking for a spot in an already full parking lot, or parking a half mile down the road, turned me off to the point where I pretty much stopped going out. Bumping and grinding up a gravel road for miles and miles hoping to find a less "loved" area never seems to pan out, you'd think I would get used to it but it still boggles my mind to find cars at the end of the drive.
Getting married opened me up to a new sensation, as the original poster found, and I've been able to enjoy my old haunts through her eyes even though there are far more people there enjoying it with us.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

20 years ago I worked a twelve hour shift that afforded weekdays off. I did a lot of solo hiking out of empty trailheads only to return to an empty trailhead. 10 years later I started to see more people, even on weekdays. I shifted to shoulder season hiking, cold and wet weather, to gain back the solitude. It seemed like an okay trade-off at the time, I had the gear and was in good shape. As I've gotten older being cold and wet isn't as acceptable or fun.
When I switched to a regular 5 day a week shift, driving in circles looking for a spot in an already full parking lot, or parking a half mile down the road, turned me off to the point where I pretty much stopped going out. Bumping and grinding up a gravel road for miles and miles hoping to find a less "loved" area never seems to pan out, you'd think I would get used to it but it still boggles my mind to find cars at the end of the drive.
Getting married opened me up to a new sensation, as the original poster found, and I've been able to enjoy my old haunts through her eyes even though there are far more people there enjoying it with us.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That's really interesting. Also somewhat saddening to read. I guess it's just the way things go. Makes me wonder if the remote places I go now up in Wyoming and Montana will be busy in a decade or two.

That's really interesting. Also somewhat saddening to read. I guess it's just the way things go. Makes me wonder if the remote places I go now up in Wyoming and Montana will be busy in a decade or two.
Montana and wyoming I think have the luck of rough winters. Western WA it just rains and maybe snows 1 or 2 days a winter. Plus the booming tech industry it's the perfect storm. I think as of now montana and wyoming will be safe!