Guess the spot

I don't recognize it so all I can do is narrow it down. Does that list have more than 58 summits but less than 200 summits?

Last edited:
Less than 58 summits! The photo is looking directly at the North face. I would guess that 99.5% of the hikers don't it see straight on as they are coming up the West ridge.

If you were super rich, you could have bought this peak and 10's of thousands of acres around it a few years ago when it was for sale.

IMG_0094.jpg

Some hints: The super red areas are from burning coal seams. When it rains, fumeroles can be seen coming out. A lot of things in the nearby town are named after this feature, which runs for miles. A few years ago one of its many coal seams caught some vegetation on fire and burned part of a nearby town (27 homes IIRC). It's technically the geologic dividing point between the Rockies and the Colorado Plateau.

Name the feature which this is a small portion of.

View attachment 100082

Some hints: The super red areas are from burning coal seams. When it rains, fumeroles can be seen coming out. A lot of things in the nearby town are named after this feature, which runs for miles. A few years ago one of its many coal seams caught some vegetation on fire and burned part of a nearby town (27 homes IIRC). It's technically the geologic dividing point between the Rockies and the Colorado Plateau.

Name the feature which this is a small portion of.
Grand Hogback? I went on quite a Google excursion using those hints you gave. Seems like there's a decent amount of stuff with "Hogback" in its name around New Castle, CO.

Grand Hogback? I went on quite a Google excursion using those hints you gave. Seems like there's a decent amount of stuff with "Hogback" in its name around New Castle, CO.
It’s all yours. I was actually looking for Burning Mountain, which is part of the Grand Hogback. That particular photo is right above the elementary school in New Castle, so you were right on. Nice job.

ETA The town that lost a number of houses is Glenwood Springs Colorado. The name of the fire was the Coal Seam Fire.

Is this along the Firehole?
No, but the river this feature is on does have a confluence with the Firehole. This is a roadside spot that probably 99.999% of visitors drive by unknowingly. It's named and easily findable online though.

LOL Is it on the Gallatin? Maybe the other side of the park, or maybe not even in the park?
In the park! Firehole has been your closest guess. There's also a very well known and heavily visited waterfall on the river. This is upstream of the waterfall.