Guess the spot

Then since the lake is at his back which one cannot see then will say ... The Pacific Ocean, or the Atlantic Ocean, or the Arctic Ocean. Which ever way he is facing then to his back rather a few feet or thousands and thousandss of miles will be one of these three oceans. And the five oceans in the world are the largest bodies of water on this planet.

It is not in the Winds. In the valley in view is the most well-travelled (or at least most well known) trail of the range this lake is in.

The stream is unfortunately unnamed, but it may feature in my next clue, if it's needed.

You're in the right mountain range, but get off the beaten path a bit.

I'm gonna be majorly spitballing from here. Maybe it's Mystic Lake down below since that one's super popular. How about Silver Lake as the lake behind you?

You were closer with your first guesses.

Next hint: The lake below the stream, out of view in the valley, is named for how the stream gets to that lake.

Gravity Lake!
Well... yes but no. Water plus gravity plus cliffs make _____.

After you guys got gravel lake so fast I wanted to make sure this one was a real challenge, and I guess it is! It helps that this spot is not visited much because it is very difficult to get to.

Gravity Lake was going to be my guess also.

Martin Lake. @Jackson did all the legwork on this one so I'll let him post.

@b.stark Did you spend some time roaming that hanging valley south of Martin Lake?
I actually don't have a photo readily available, so if anyone else wants this one, have it.

Scatman, you are really making this super easy. I have been here many many many a time. First these meadows are the ones that one passes thru right before crossing Castle Creek as one goes up the Upper Yellowstone River Drainage in the Teton Wilderness.

Then this mountain ... It is just a part of what on the maps is called Thunder Mountain. This mountain and cliffs, here in the photo, is actually at the end of the North Arm of Thunder Mountain.

I climbed this peak some years ago. Near the top found an old Bighorn Sheep Rams Skull which I packed out and I still have. It was late in the summer, in a drought year next to a big melting snowbank. Also nearby was the size of a football field that was filled with the stone chips where the Indians sat and made arrowheads out of Petrified Wood.

Great Great Great Country!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Gravity Lake was going to be my guess also.

Martin Lake. @Jackson did all the legwork on this one so I'll let him post.

@b.stark Did you spend some time roaming that hanging valley south of Martin Lake?

Yes, and it's a spectacular valley. We exited via the pass that leads to Elpestrine Lake.

Scatman, you are really making this super easy. I have been here many many many a time. First these meadows are the ones that one passes thru right before crossing Castle Creek as one goes up the Upper Yellowstone River Drainage in the Teton Wilderness.

Then this mountain ... It is just a part of what on the maps is called Thunder Mountain. This mountain and cliffs, here in the photo, is actually at the end of the North Arm of Thunder Mountain.

I climbed this peak some years ago. Near the top found an old Bighorn Sheep Rams Skull which I packed out and I still have. It was late in the summer, in a drought year next to a big melting snowbank. Also nearby was the size of a football field that was filled with the stone chips where the Indians sat and made arrowheads out of Petrified Wood.

Great Great Great Country!!!!!!!

I had an inkling that you might know this. :) You're up @Kmatjhwy.

Scatman, a nice photo of a fabulous place. Thanks for posting!

Now here are three photos of a backcountry cabin that I know of. The photos are from different angles of the old cabin. I have been here a number of times. These photos are of the cabin as it existed maybe 10 years ago. Times could have changed the cabin since it is an old structure in a country of deep winter snows. Am seeing if indeed some of you really do know or not know your backcountry.

Can you tell me the near exact location of this fabulous backcountry cabin. Hint ... There are several Great Trails located right close by but one is unable to see this cabin from those trails. If one is on those trails and does not know this old cabin exists, then that person will walk right on by unknowing that such a old treasure as this exists.

Again where is this old cabin's exact location?

p349338881-4.jpg

I
p452026065-4.jpg

I
p135767828-4.jpg

Last edited:
Also will give another hint ... It is in someplace wild here in NW Wyoming.