Guess the spot

Mexico :wavespin::wavespin::wavespin:

LOL - Nope

Hint - You're going north to climb Fremont Peak with @Jeffrey Chandler but you got a bit off course (a little too far north and west) and you're somewhere on a long highway with four lanes and you pass a big reservoir named after an explorer and just when you think you're gonna die of hunger a good fishing town finally appears with a big beaverhead nearby and stuff and there's the Mexican food bus and the food is good and you'd never guess this would be where it is in a state with very little Mexican food, but there it is.

Easy, eh?

Oh, and another BIG hint - the actual track/core of the Yellowstone hotspot is directly below this bus, for reals, and it's not in Wyoming.

Last edited:
http://www.mantleplumes.org/WebDocuments/Pierce2009.pdf
Is the track of the Yellowstone hotspot driven by a deep mantle plume? — Review of volcanism, faulting, and uplift in light of new data
Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 9.20.54 AM.png

Fig. 1. Seismic tomography reveals an inclined conduit of warm mantle material (thermal plume) inclined to the northwest from beneath Yellowstone (illustration from Huaiyu Yuan, based on Yuan and Dueker, 2005). At a depth of 500 km, the inferred plume is beneath Dillon, Montana (yellow dot and dashed lines), but in this study the inferred plume was traced no deeper than 500 km. Red outlines of hotspot calderas somewhat diagrammatic and also denote the progression of volcanic fields.

Last edited:
It's a mantle plume that's causing the track of the hotspot.

A mantle plume is an upwelling of abnormally hot rock within the Earth's mantle, and as the heads of mantle plumes can partly melt when they reach shallow depths, they are often invoked as the cause of volcanic hotspots. (from Wiki)

Last edited:

A mantle plume is an upwelling of abnormally hot rock within the Earth's mantle, and as the heads of mantle plumes can partly melt when they reach shallow depths, they are often invoked as the cause of volcanic hotspots. (from Wiki)

Thanks for the fun 'mantle plume' lesson @Rockskipper !
That was awesome - though I'm not telling you how much time I spend this morning trying to figure out where that Mexican food truck is :rolleyes:

Thanks for the fun 'mantle plume' lesson @Rockskipper !
That was awesome - though I'm not telling you how much time I spend this morning trying to figure out where that Mexican food truck is :rolleyes:
Did it make you hungry? :)
I'll meet you there for lunch.

ETA: I once spent two days MOL searching Alaska maps for one of @Ben 's famous (infamous) map spots, only to find out it wasn't in Alaska. I learned a lot about the state. :facepalm:

Last edited:

ETA: I once spent two days MOL searching Alaska maps for one of @Ben 's famous (infamous) map spots, only to find out it wasn't in Alaska. I learned a lot about the state. :facepalm:

That's funny! I did get hungry and I'm just a bit off course ("just a little too far south and east") for lunch.:cool:

That's funny! I did get hungry and I'm just a bit off course ("just a little too far south and east") for lunch.:cool:
That's OK, I just made a bowl of chili. @LarryBoy made me hungry from reading his blog about the CDT. I'm a bit off course as well (as usual). :)

I knew that I had seen that bus somewhere....the clues made it easy to guess at. Never ate there, but we pretty much always stop at Dillon for a quick break from roadtrippin' to or from Utah - coffee at the little kiosk on the N end of town, and a perusal of Ranchers Supply while Jo checks out the Patagucci outlet.
It's going to be hard to challenge you folks, let's try this:
_9075085-copy.jpg

http://www.mantleplumes.org/WebDocuments/Pierce2009.pdf
Is the track of the Yellowstone hotspot driven by a deep mantle plume? — Review of volcanism, faulting, and uplift in light of new data
View attachment 68670

Fig. 1. Seismic tomography reveals an inclined conduit of warm mantle material (thermal plume) inclined to the northwest from beneath Yellowstone (illustration from Huaiyu Yuan, based on Yuan and Dueker, 2005). At a depth of 500 km, the inferred plume is beneath Dillon, Montana (yellow dot and dashed lines), but in this study the inferred plume was traced no deeper than 500 km. Red outlines of hotspot calderas somewhat diagrammatic and also denote the progression of volcanic fields.

What's the blue stuff under Wyoming.