Guess the spot

They look laccolithic, like the La Sals...
Well, I hear a speculation, but not a guess, Liz.

What other mountains are laccolithic and what does that look like?

You got it. The view north from the summit of what I can never remember how to spell so I just write it out how I say it:
TuKuNikkeeVotz at 12,482'. A true mountain island in the desert sky.

I heart the salmon color and the high and wild alpine tundra.

Well, there are a number of laccolithic mountains around, including the West Elks, the Henrys, the Abajos, Pine Valley Mtn, etc., and for some reason, these looked like the Sallies, but not quite, as I am used to seeing them with a bit of snow on top. And of course, since laccoliths basically weren't violent eruptions (as compared to mountains like the San Juans), they're characterized by rounded eroded tops. And because they pushed up through the layers of Morrison etc. (they're typically young mountains), you often see slopes that don't look like your characteristic mountain slopes.

Did you know that Mount Tuk (Tukuhnikivatz) is a Ute word meaning "place where the sun's rays linger?"

Will post a photo soon. And note new Avatar, @Artemus, though I'll probably get tired of looking at myself and change it, but next time I'm walking down the street near the SLC capital, you'll recognize me, right? I always wear a longjohn top under a T-shirt, but the felt hat has been replaced by a BCP Scatman hat.

Last edited:
Will post a photo soon. And note new Avatar, @Artemus, though I'll probably get tired of looking at myself and change it, but next time I'm walking down the street near the SLC capital, you'll recognize me, right? I always wear a longjohn top under a T-shirt, but the felt hat has been replaced by a BCP Scatman hat.
Well I don't know that I will be able to pattern match you to that little, dark, smiling pic but I will sure try next time you are at a protest with me. :cool:

And as far as the BCP Scatman hat - pics or it didn't happen, right @Scat ?

Last edited:
And not even very far from your house, relatively speaking, anyway. But not in Utah. Think breccia, young man, breccia.
absarokas. Specifically in the weird eastern extension to the E of the S fork of the shoshone.

Good guess, geologically speaking, but not that far from Art's house in an easterly direction, closer, not Montana

Last edited:
No, it's in a state close to Utah - very close to Utah. One of the nicest backpacking trips I've ever taken. Kind of reminds me of a castle in Europe or something...except you might just see some elk around it. :)

Last edited:
Back