Guess the spot: Utah Edition

the notifications are still instant as far as i know, but i experience the same thing with some of the watched threads, particularly the guess the spots, where i'll miss messages there for days. i don't know if i some how miss the initial notification, and then don't get notified for subsequent posts, or what.

The same happens to me, but I've noticed that it only happens when I've previously gotten a notification for it but not looked at the actual thread and allowed the notification to be dismissed. I don't get any notifications again until I look at the thread again.

Hopefully that made sense. I'd be happy to attempt rewording it. Haha.

The same happens to me, but I've noticed that it only happens when I've previously gotten a notification for it but not looked at the actual thread and allowed the notification to be dismissed. I don't get any notifications again until I look at the thread again.

It is definitely built to function that way so that you only get notified of the first new post until you go look at the thread. I think it's so people who maybe aren't as interested don't get emails blasted at them day after day after day.

yeah, that's it.

personally, if there's some thing that i'm not actually interested in i'll go and unwatch the thread to avoid further notifications. i do wish there was some way around this for things like guess the spots though, where it pays to pay attention.

Do you mean email notifications? The notifications on the site are still instant, right? If email, are you just not getting the email or is it coming after a long delay?

Rather than relying on email, because while I do check it consistently, I don't always dive deep into my emails throughout each day (I've got my email configured to notify me on my phone of select kinds of emails, and forum posts aren't included in those notifications). Generally I rely on Tapatalk notifications on my phone, and of course the new alerts up on the top right of the forum when signed in on the web interface. With Tapatalk, I may just need to dive deeper into some settings, specifically for this thread. On the web interface alerts, as others have now confirmed, for some reason, I'm not always seeing an alert for each new post on at least this thread here. Only when someone quotes/replies directly to one of my posts, (e.g. you and Art most recently) is there an alert that shows up, despite the fact that I am watching this thread. I did not see an alert for the most recent posts from Jackson, Ben, etc.

Edit: After reading the response to Jackson above, it now makes sense why I didn't receive subsequents alerts. Somehow I must have glanced over the initial alert since I had last posted a hint, before thinking to check back in on my own. I'll be more vigilant about this in the future.

In the mean time, carry on EVERYONE! Time to figure out what cabin that is above.

Last edited:
Probably a lot of folks here have walked by this cabin. And if you walked by it once, then you most likely walked by it twice.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Guess the Spot: somewhere in Southern Utah General Discussion 4
Outdoor_Fool The value of the various Guess the Spot threads General Discussion 6
wsp_scott NYTimes article: Guess the spot saves someone's life General Discussion 1
JDWalters Guess the Spot: Eastern US Edition General Discussion 515
LarryBoy Guess the Spot: Trip Reports Edition Hiking & Camping 5
balzaccom Guess the Spot--DIY version General Discussion 33
Artemus Guess the Spot: International Edition General Discussion 283
Jammer Guess the Spot (not where you think) General Discussion 10
Backcountry Post Guess the spot: Maps Edition General Discussion 4670
Backcountry Post Guess the spot General Discussion 7683
Perry Can You Guess Where The Uintas Are? General Discussion 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
Jammer Havasu Falls Extra Spot General Discussion 3
Nick Spot X Gear 27
SKLund Sticking with SPOT Gear 0
Ross Unofficial Where’s The Spot General Discussion 0
Perry Good Deal on a Spot Gen 3 Gear 5
Jammer Spot/InReach for May? Trip Planning 7
Bridgette Good camping spot in the Uintas with 4WD Trip Planning 0
jonmessina Spot Tracker Rental? Trip Planning 1
uintahiker The bloodiest spot in Arizona Hiking & Camping 0
Jammer InReach vs Spot Messenger 2013 Gear 32
wnorton Do you use Spot Connect or DeLorme InReach? Gear 6
Nurrgle Good car camping spot in the Uintas General Discussion 9
Nick SPOT Connect Gear 2
SteveR SE Utah Bugs in May? General Discussion 3
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 13
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
regehr recent Utah meteorite General Discussion 0
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Rudolf_The_Red Hello from BFE, Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7