Guess the spot: Utah Edition

Also, it could be the unnamed slot in my profile photo, but I don't think so 'cause I just looked at all my photos from my two trips there and nothing matches up. It's the canyon just north of the Hite bridge (about one mile along the road) emptying into the Dirty D.

Okay, it's gotta be Duckett? Even with the map you posted, it didn't get through my thick skull that there are two junctions with 276 and 95!

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion folks, i didn't realize there are 2 junctions of Hwy 95 with Hwy 276.

I only knew the Southern Jct, we used it to take the Ferry and drive back to Torrey via the Notom Road and also to explore stuff in the Grand Gulch area!
We have driven scenic Hwy 95 between Blanding and Hanksville many times, have crossed the Henrys from the Notom road via Bull Pass and Little Egypt to Hwy 95, but always missed that part of Hwy 276 inbetween!

Thanks to @Udink i now realize we have to explore that part of Hwy 276, we have never been, at a next occasion after this Covid disaster!

The name of the canyon is in the longlist so @Udink is up!

The links below give an overview of things that can be enjoyed when leaving Hwy 95 at the Duckett Crossing and shows similar pics of Short Canyon!

Canyoneering Short Canyon - Cedar Mesa - Road Trip Ryan
Short Canyon - Cedar Mesa - Canyoneering (climb-utah.com)

The name of the canyon is in the longlist so @Udink is up!
Short Canyon would have been my next guess. You mentioned Big Arrowhead Arch and both of these canyons in an earlier post in this thread. I finally cemented what I thought was the correct canyon after a lot of research and seeing this Duckett Slot photo from Dan Ransom which looks very similar: https://danransom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/Duckett-Short-11.jpg

Next up, the high point of this mountain range takes its name from the composition of the rock (if you can discern it from this photo!). Bonus points for naming the exact location, but the name of the range or high point will do.

IMG_4266.JPG

That's it!
I have been in the area a few times but I don't recognize the exact location, and I'm traveling and my weak laptop doesn't really do Google Earth. It'll be a couple days before I can dig up a new image. If anyone wants to take over and post something in the meantime, please feel free!

I would have said "Fording the Fremont" (i like that better because it was a new english word for me at the time) but "crossing" is fine too!

:) You are up @Jackson !

Let's get the ball rolling here. First hint is that this is a pretty riparian area and I got mobbed by mosquitos as I was hiking out of here at dusk. I believe it was early May a few years ago.

Let's get the ball rolling here. First hint is that this is a pretty riparian area and I got mobbed by mosquitos as I was hiking out of here at dusk. I believe it was early May a few years ago.
Deer creek GSENM

Is it the trail along the way to Escalante Natural Bridge? (That's what my brain told me when I first saw the image).

Wow, I'm sometimes amazed at how the brain can recall things - especially my brain. :)

This one should be easy:

51216383058_963aaeb77f_k.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Guess the Spot: somewhere in Southern Utah General Discussion 4
Outdoor_Fool The value of the various Guess the Spot threads General Discussion 6
wsp_scott NYTimes article: Guess the spot saves someone's life General Discussion 1
JDWalters Guess the Spot: Eastern US Edition General Discussion 515
LarryBoy Guess the Spot: Trip Reports Edition Hiking & Camping 5
balzaccom Guess the Spot--DIY version General Discussion 33
Artemus Guess the Spot: International Edition General Discussion 283
Jammer Guess the Spot (not where you think) General Discussion 10
Backcountry Post Guess the spot: Maps Edition General Discussion 4670
Backcountry Post Guess the spot General Discussion 7683
Perry Can You Guess Where The Uintas Are? General Discussion 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
Jammer Havasu Falls Extra Spot General Discussion 3
Nick Spot X Gear 27
SKLund Sticking with SPOT Gear 0
Ross Unofficial Where’s The Spot General Discussion 0
Perry Good Deal on a Spot Gen 3 Gear 5
Jammer Spot/InReach for May? Trip Planning 7
Bridgette Good camping spot in the Uintas with 4WD Trip Planning 0
jonmessina Spot Tracker Rental? Trip Planning 1
uintahiker The bloodiest spot in Arizona Hiking & Camping 0
Jammer InReach vs Spot Messenger 2013 Gear 32
wnorton Do you use Spot Connect or DeLorme InReach? Gear 6
Nurrgle Good car camping spot in the Uintas General Discussion 9
Nick SPOT Connect Gear 2
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 12
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
regehr recent Utah meteorite General Discussion 0
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Rudolf_The_Red Hello from BFE, Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
H Horse Canyon needles district Utah Off Road 0