Guess the spot: Maps Edition

People talk about going to this place some times on this site, but I've never seen a report from any one going here.

Every few hours, I keep coming back here and staring at that map, with the nagging feeling that I should know this one. (I'm fully expecting to have one of those forehead-smacking "I coulda had a V8!" moments when I find out the answer.)

I love the looks of some of those valleys, especially that curvy one up in the northeast quadrant that skirts into the greener segment. Dangit, that just looks so familiar!! I can't place it.

It is awfully hard to see those contour lines... I don't suppose you could pick an area of this and blow it up a teensy bit?

Some one should know this. That's why I haven't given some hint yet that would give it away. I can post an other zoom when I get home. In the mean time I can tell you the high points top out above 11,000'.

Ahhh Ruby Mountains. Favre Lake, Lamoille Lake, etc. On my list, but don't know when I'll make it.

Have you been?

I knew some one would know. Still surprised it took this long.
I haven't been.

wow, I'm glad I didn't spend much time hunting for it. I would've never got it - that's an area as foreign to me as the Ross Ice Shelf. Who knew Nevada even had a lake anywhere east of Tahoe? ;-)

Hopefully I got everything blanked out. I always feel like I forgot something.

EDIT: I forgot to blank out a few things. They were probably too blurry to read anyway, but oh well.map.png

Last edited:
Oh oh oh - I think I know exactly where that is! Hopefully I can check my map and answer before a certain someone [who I know hikes there!] beats me to it.

Yep, I was right. Blodgett Creek Valley, Blodgett Pass, Lake, etc. Selway Bitterroot Wilderness.

I actually have an ~50-mile horse-shoe-shaped backpacking route pre-planned there, which would enter[/exit] via Blodgett, to Big Sand Lake, north to Frog, Colt Killed, Packbox Pass, to Big Creek Lake and out Big Creek toward Victor. :D

Back