Guess the Spot: International Edition

You got it!
OK--take a shot at this one. And yes, that's my wife and me in front, having a nice lunch

wpnv38kOfUDUbqO7Y95h4lOBr2BF9c53yyiwKXkO2oOR3BXCY5gBimLAMFZLJwTZnG-0_2y4t4n2b23Xh9cgMX-8PVHOFlJrJj-VnXnQ-iaTK9FKLT5J-uP3sQS-StxuJ23-xcheUAdYxtmdIMkqpoD9aC-jxb6D66ndZCXMNBYQCC63G8Uuzo6SqGf6Oh6j2oGvfgXufuJRqTRiQLE5wUPpd00Nwbba6LYY7lBXJY9AdrkAkPotcjfUZnuYMt4nqICVGx7YrDzN2YuGANuzKt4YCZgB7yBmW0fwjaEaNTLbW5qAhYRZCPgmQAcsr4NLcwpGwmy_OHKWM2nTWrEfIx_2iQN7h0kZLBra3mxus_VvFTBhAiulFXwtYtpqRZiUv_0L5g7V_-nMS6BulXFunvMrnPfFfGc6UEnZgBRu1Gg19jch91eKMRZYSitgMKVVIDX36iA-6y-kZuB-w8xK3XqjZBwAaXqrHzR2ICZRjGH3JhePQktMTBlDifVshVwOizVF3NZV4pVkW7og87b_GcsAn-AaWALn7cEJG43Ab2qELNJYUkuLqr_EZCQEJYFewMJZB6yXI3axsiOXMEE4tcChdOtAzSiUBILEe_1zBTUHylEjBuYxPlKmQ-_8llrffEvrFYVYu0UJqBOed0qMpdR6sLwk2RDEV9yvNTYP5X8WPzA=w1134-h838-no

Looks an awful lot like Mt. FitzRoy, in Argentina. Hmmmm. Maybe from a different angle than most photos I've seen.

Patagonia, Lake Torre

Never been there but my brother has photos of a trip he took and it looks the same.

It is indeed Laguna Torre....and the needle in the background is the legendary Cerro Torre.

My wife and I had hiked there this February, and while we were eating our lunch I heard someone moving around behind us. Eventually I turned around to see a young woman who had taken our photo on her I-phone. She was a professional tour guide from Slovakia, and was hiking on vacation. She took our photo because she thought we looked so cute there.

There are two reasons people think you are cute: either you are very young and attractive....or you are very old and pitiable.

She did agree to send us the photo... which you now see in front of you.

It's a very memorable shot, as well as a memorable place. When I sell everything I own (not much) and begin my world travels, I'll go see it.

I guess I'm up. This isn't a landscape shot, but also isn't in the U.S., but is in dinosaur country (hint). The creature you see before you has a viewing platform in its mouth, which will give you an idea of its size. It's in a tourist town. Name the town.

IMG_9994.JPG

@balzaccom
You got it! The largest dinosaur in the world, and also the largest mosquitoes. Don't ever try camping there, it was truly epic swatting mosquitoes with a Drumheller tourism brochure. I had moskie netting over the windows and still had a cloud in my car. But the Royal Tyrell Museum was worth it all.

Last edited:
@balzaccom
You got it! The largest dinosaur in the world, and also the largest mosquitoes. Don't ever try camping there, it was truly epic swatting mosquitoes with a Drumheller tourism brochure. I had moskie netting over the windows and still had a cloud in my car. But the Royal Tyrell Museum was worth it all.
OK. Take a shot at this one. I'll give clues if it proves too difficult:

COkDOsH2pGS45hale1dA5omZtude9hemxIGXD4ey92iuzrnBA0gaCxJmGzJkzPLcGBkYZQy0UxYuvpquUu2dWKjBMuZvjocZqmN1Eyf50KatC0Ly_WYQUQu-0A9R80lIS2Is7nFhA9XBoOZBYSFTuNQm68Zciry0Y-ijjx0gz19yk0p3Fp1LKeWcn81-tKarCzZCTF5ZwJSZ0NOGMKuPhJq2UTdCDes4cBy1-mRq7yA1UZOpJc10Qzi5XTglE2DkAOMk93BAaK8dj8C-wTTwwfNtcMeP66FAzN0Vo1ss3emuWeNG6iZSfFlhFc_Dsij1YFB1H64_ep_4xtszwvBbtEM2Z8HfaCXLY8EQQh0GFIhZ_ii5t9qy56gB29G-BElBK0-maio0szanoKUElAZ8vV_AuHg2Y_kqkJWR6i7qcFaBkp_kAUEileYXL-8XwMUaGhunTjgdxUEAG6yBU7-Fg-5_Q-_-xI0UuMQzH40U1-P4WPs7AIfWYu2NvKL74bg9fHSbgpYEzqVJjXpCdBRO59XMqvRFgIeaPzTS25sxxcXAX1_klpv2Nj84HuDEssIaQjtWwKwVvZzzb1_ErllWrwA5OVNMAjZk5uGjXEj8QNAPf8k_5Bn7xK8wDJjQ6GJLpLJpIFuncX9LJSwIafAsNoU3dkJ7mcDyDWZ47c8mGirDO64=w1118-h838-no

That peak on the left looks just like the same hook-nose shaped peak over Perrito Moreno glacier in Argentina. (again, from a different angle than I normally see that shot.) I don't know the peak name, but I'll go to a map to look up the lake that Perrito Moreno spills into....

Reactions: Ben
Dang, I can't find a peak name. But the shot is from Puerto Bajo Las Sombras, no? Just beyond El Calafate?

Well, I have scoured many different trip reports of Andes / Patagonia, to make trip plans for future treks. There is just so much cool stuff to see in this world!!

ok, this one should be double-super-easy, to those who've heard of it or seen it.
treesandneedles.jpg

Name the lake. There's a major site on the ridge to the left (mostly out of sight in this photo). Bonus points if you name what that is and also the national park. The color of the lake is a big hint.

IMG_9908.JPG

Last edited:
Emerald Lake, Yoho?

Lets see, I know Burgess Shale is above the lake, but it should be above to the right of the photo (I think). To the left would be.... is it Mt. Wapta? I think that's Yoho Pass directly ahead, going over to Yoho Valley. Let me think, the Presidential Peak (I think it's called is up over there to the right)..... Let me go get my map out, and I'll be back.

I hhink that's Mt. Wapta in the photo, to the right of Yoho Pass. It would be Mount President to the left. Is that right?