COVID-19 Affecting Your Plans?

Unless you are 70+ or have an underlying health condition (diabetes, CHD, high blood pressure, immunocompromised), it's unlikely you'll have a serious complication. Even at 70-79 years, it's in ~8% case fatality rate. Given your activity level, I suspect you are pretty healthy. Bring a personal locator beacon, as we all should for other potential injuries. For piece of mind, you could keep any eye on your temperature.

p.s. From an exposure perspective I'd rather be in the backcountry than sitting in SF, where I am now. :)
Its not
quite accurate about the young. https://thecity.nyc/2020/03/one-in-four-nyc-hospital-virus-patients-is-under-age-50.html

I live in a fairly rural area in eastern Washington state... our numbers currently are as follows:
Confirmed Cases by Age Number Updated
Under 20 805/04/2020
20-39 3405/04/2020
40-59 3205/04/2020
60-79 1705/04/2020
Over 80 105/04/2020
TOTAL 9205/04/2020

Kinda seems like it’s a pretty even split for the so called younger and not so younger demographics. So far nobody has passed away according to our local health department where I got these numbers. Things change pretty quick and that potentially would include the virus as well.

I was reading today about the massive case counts in Florida and it got me thinking about this thread today and how it had been silent quite a while.

Anyone been able to get out on some good trips this summer? I've enjoyed the trip reports I've seen on here. I've been able to go out backpacking once and hiking a few times, but haven't done much otherwise. Partly due to a big upcoming interstate move, but also because being shut in for a while kind of killed my motivation until recently. Seems like most places are open for camping, hiking, and backpacking to some degree now. At the same time, I've read lots of complaining online by people in various western states about people from out of state coming in droves for outdoor recreation.

I was reading today about the massive case counts in Florida and it got me thinking about this thread today and how it had been silent quite a while.

Anyone been able to get out on some good trips this summer? I've enjoyed the trip reports I've seen on here. I've been able to go out backpacking once and hiking a few times, but haven't done much otherwise. Partly due to a big upcoming interstate move, but also because being shut in for a while kind of killed my motivation until recently. Seems like most places are open for camping, hiking, and backpacking to some degree now. At the same time, I've read lots of complaining online by people in various western states about people from out of state coming in droves for outdoor recreation.
Sadly, we canceled our August trip to the Winds; instead, we'll hike and camp in the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It obviously won't be the same, but hopefully we'll have clear days and beautiful views along Lake Superior and from high up on the ridge. We will hope for a Winds trip next year...

Sadly, we canceled our August trip to the Winds; instead, we'll hike and camp in the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It obviously won't be the same, but hopefully we'll have clear days and beautiful views along Lake Superior and from high up on the ridge. We will hope for a Winds trip next year...
I've seen pictures of the Porcupine Mountains and they look incredible. I'm sure that will be a great trip.

I sure hope things are better in a year, but I guess we'll see. I would imagine there will be a vaccine by then. I can revisit this comment in a year and assess. Haha.

Friends in Durango, CO are complaining abut Texans (nothing new), but now it's different because they won't wear masks in spite of the town posting signs saying it's mandatory. They said the town is overrun by Texas plates.

Here in W. CO it seems like there are a gazillion RVs and trailers, many which look new. When the heat breaks, I'm going to head north to Montana, but I can self-isolate in my rig, supply ahead of time and all that.

But @Jackson are you leaving SLC because you're all done with your degree now? If so, a big congrats!

Friends in Durango, CO are complaining abut Texans (nothing new), but now it's different because they won't wear masks in spite of the town posting signs saying it's mandatory. They said the town is overrun by Texas plates.

Here in W. CO it seems like there are a gazillion RVs and trailers, many which look new. When the heat breaks, I'm going to head north to Montana, but I can self-isolate in my rig, supply ahead of time and all that.

But @Jackson are you leaving SLC because you're all done with your degree now? If so, a big congrats!
Lol.... And montana will say all they see is Colorado plates... And new RV s. It's like that her in island park...a LOT of new RV s, trailers UTV s slot of out of state and out of county instate plates.....

The UP is a special place from what I see. Spectacular with the fall colors. Had the first cancellation of the September Winds trip I'm leading for a local hiking group. Mostly due to air travel concerns. I'm going even if everyone cancels, even if I have to quarantine on the return. Taking precautions such as using a KN95 and booked with Delta to have open middle seat.

We should have a better idea in a few weeks about how the summer tourist surge is affecting destination towns like Jackson and Pinedale Wy. Most reports I've seen say the tourists are welcome. Visitors really should respect the local laws though.

Haven't done any summer trips myself other than local overnights on the AT. But that's mostly due to foot issues, not COVID.

Kind of! I've been done for a bit over a year now. But I applied for and got offered a job at a local law firm in Bozeman recently, so we're buying a home in Belgrade and making the move at the end of this week. Timing isn't ideal with the pandemic and all, but it's what worked out, so we're going for it.

Kind of! I've been done for a bit over a year now. But I applied for and got offered a job at a local law firm in Bozeman recently, so we're buying a home in Belgrade and making the move at the end of this week. Timing isn't ideal with the pandemic and all, but it's what worked out, so we're going for it.

Congrats on the new job. I'll expect you to know Yellowstone like the back of your hand now. :)

Bozeman? Many fine adventures await you, and now @scatman has a place to stay when he's coming/going to Yellowstone. And Belgrade's a lot calmer than the Boze.

Congrats - I remember when you said you were taking your law exams. You'll love it up there, but watch out for those polar vortexes (vortices?).

The UP is a special place from what I see. Spectacular with the fall colors. Had the first cancellation of the September Winds trip I'm leading for a local hiking group. Mostly due to air travel concerns. I'm going even if everyone cancels, even if I have to quarantine on the return. Taking precautions such as using a KN95 and booked with Delta to have open middle seat.

We should have a better idea in a few weeks about how the summer tourist surge is affecting destination towns like Jackson and Pinedale Wy. Most reports I've seen say the tourists are welcome. Visitors really should respect the local laws though.

Haven't done any summer trips myself other than local overnights on the AT. But that's mostly due to foot issues, not COVID.
We have loved our previous UP trips - Pictured Rocks and Isle Royale are both gorgeous. This will be our first time in the Porkies; my teaching schedule prevents us from getting up there during fall color.

Hope your feet are better soon and you're able to enjoy some nice trips!

I just got back from a trip up to Kalispell to see my mom. Spent some time in Yellowstone and a bit in the Beartooths. Weather was miserable most of the time, but still better than sitting in my house. Was going to car camp around the winds and do a short hike but I was "through" at that point and drove all the way home.

Yellowstone/Tetons were a you-know-what-show. Glacier just now opened Going to the Sun to Logan Pass I believe. No plans to open the East side this year from what I've heard.

Short hikes in the Beartooths. Very few mosquitos as of last week. Probably no longer the case.

I just got back from a trip up to Kalispell to see my mom. Spent some time in Yellowstone and a bit in the Beartooths. Weather was miserable most of the time, but still better than sitting in my house. Was going to car camp around the winds and do a short hike but I was "through" at that point and drove all the way home.

Yellowstone/Tetons were a you-know-what-show. Glacier just now opened Going to the Sun to Logan Pass I believe. No plans to open the East side this year from what I've heard.

Short hikes in the Beartooths. Very few mosquitos as of last week. Probably no longer the case.
My boss went to Glacier and elsewhere in NW Montana last week and he said that it was pretty nuts with the closures. For any popular spots, you had to get there well before 7 a.m. or in the late afternoon to get a parking space. I guess that's to be expected when half the park is closed off and people are going nuts with outdoor recreation trips.

Lol.... And montana will say all they see is Colorado plates... And new RV s. It's like that her in island park...a LOT of new RV s, trailers UTV s slot of out of state and out of county instate plates.....
Same in Utah. Lots of Texas, California, Colorado, and others, but honestly, that's just how it is in every western state for the last decade or two. Impossible to tell who's a recent move-in and who's just visiting because there is so much of both all the time. I'm sure I'll get eyerolls from people in Montana for having Utah plates even though we'll be residents.

Hey @scatman - here's a great idea for you - you could quit your job before you retire! Make up a bunch of plastic license plates for Montana and sell them to visitors - and the plastic probably wouldn't register on police/traffic cameras, either. Yes, I know, I'm a genious! Or however it's spelled... :p

Last edited: