COVID-19 Affecting Your Plans?

I hope this doesn't become a trend for the National Parks:

Glacier National Park has modified operations in accordance with the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local public health authorities. Due to current and anticipated staffing and operational limitations related to the COVID-19 outbreak, combined with the uncertainty of trail and backcountry campground availability, all backcountry camping advance reservations for the 2020 season have been cancelled.

I hope this doesn't become a trend for the National Parks:

Yellowstone is opening in phases pretty soon.
I have not heard about the backcountry situation yet, but all campgrounds will open mid-June. Other accommodations will only open cabins with private baths.
I had to cancel two nights in a cabin with a shared bath and rebook it for a cabin with a private bath. But so far my six weeks camping in the park are still on. They also sent out backcountry permits.
So I have high hopes for my summer heat escape to Yellowstone.
One thing to keep an eye on is if Montana and Wyoming still require 2 weeks self-quarantine for anyone visiting out of state. If this is still required in July, I will get a vacation rental prior to my visit. I guess 2 weeks of self-quarantine in Montana or Wyoming is not a bad thing at all. At least no dust and 100+ temperatures

1588363941326.png

There's how Yellowstone is doing it, from the confirmation email I received. I don't get why Glacier can't just do the same thing. Call or email them to confirm, submit the worksheet, then they email you the permit for you to print out. No physical contact or proximity required. And really, they should just offer that option in every park, pandemic or not, because of how convenient and efficient it is.

I get that it all depends on whether they still have the backcountry closed, but it's just strange that Glacier cancelled everything rather than try something like this.

Looks like there's a partial reopening of Capitol Reef on Tuesday:

Effective May 5, 2020: Park to Increase Recreational Access to the North and South Districts
Capitol Reef National Park will reopen access to day use in the North District (Cathedral Valley) and South District (Waterpocket Fold), and overnight stays in Cedar Mesa campground and Cathedral Valley campground. Many facilities and areas remain closed.

Also noting that confirmed San Juan Co. and Navajo Nation (UT region) COVID-19 cases just shot up dramatically yesterday. Maybe they expanded reporting or testing, or there were care facility outbreaks.

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 8.53.29 AM.png

Looks like there's a partial reopening of Capitol Reef on Tuesday:

Also noting that confirmed San Juan Co. and Navajo Nation (UT region) COVID-19 cases just shot up dramatically yesterday. Maybe they expanded reporting or testing, or there were care facility outbreaks.

View attachment 88557
There is, and we have already been overrun by tourists starting this weekend. It had been very quiet here, which was lovely, and suddenly yesterday there were cars everywhere again.

we have already been overrun by tourists starting this weekend. It had been very quiet here, which was lovely, and suddenly yesterday there were cars everywhere again.
More than normal for this time of year?

I went away for weekend of fishing and remote camping with the dogs last friday. I've camped at wedge overlook few times before, never imagined it would be as busy as I saw it last friday, every nook and cranny was taken over with vehicles and people. It felt like some kind of festival going on there. I retreated back towards Elmo and found a spot for the night away from everyone, but saw so many vehicles with campers going towards wedge overlook and buckhorn road. Fished my usual spot the next day and drove back.

I went away for weekend of fishing and remote camping with the dogs last friday. I've camped at wedge overlook few times before, never imagined it would be as busy as I saw it last friday, every nook and cranny was taken over with vehicles and people. It felt like some kind of festival going on there. I retreated back towards Elmo and found a spot for the night away from everyone, but saw so many vehicles with campers going towards wedge overlook and buckhorn road. Fished my usual spot the next day and drove back.
Sadly the word is out about the Wedge.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's too bad. It seems like even just a few years ago, it wasn't really all that busy out there.

I was in the southern Swell yesterday and saw a lot of vehicles on the roads and people camped all over the place, but as soon as I hiked off into the wilderness I saw no one else all day.

Well, there goes my second permit to Canyonlands this spring. Just got this email:

Dear Canyonlands National Park Backcountry Permit Holder,

The National Park Service is working with state and local health authorities to phase in re-opening of Canyonlands National Park with public health in mind. With this overnight camping including backcountry camping will continue to be closed through May 29, 2020. All backcountry permit reservations through May 29 will be cancelled.

If you have a permit reservation for a trip that extends beyond May 29 the campsites/zones after May 29 will remain reserved for you in our system. If you wish to cancel these campsites/zones and receive a credit for your reservation, please reply to this email.

Permit Credits: All cancelled reservations that have been paid for will receive a credit for a future reservation starting within one year. When reapplying for a reservation please use the same email address and enter a note in the comments section indicating you wish to use your credit. If possible, also include the cancelled permit reservation number.

Our office hours will be limited, and communications may be delayed. We may not be available by phone and will respond to emails as soon as possible. Please refer to the park's website for up to date information.

We look forward to welcoming backcountry visitors back into park and hope to have you visit in the future.

More than normal for this time of year?
We had been super, super quiet. Very little traffic, very few people, very calm. Since the weekend, I’d say we’ve pretty much sprung right back up into the usual large surge of visitors for this time of year. I’m sure it will continue to increase. Though I also bet some of them might be surprised to see that most of the businesses around here are still closed, so maybe they aren’t staying unless they’re camping and brought their own food with them.