Album Campsites

I read the reg as within 1/4 mile of the lakes you cannot have a fire = the yellow encircled sections highlighted on the map. So your saying if you camp outside that you can have a fire, or are you saying if you camp within that you can have a fire?

I read the reg as within 1/4 mile of the lakes you cannot have a fire = the yellow encircled sections highlighted on the map. So your saying if you camp outside that you can have a fire, or are you saying if you camp within that you can have a fire?

For the record, all of my camp sites have been legal and I always follow the rules. If you had been backpacking with me you would know this.

There are many posts on this thread which I could question the legality of their camp selections and locations. But I am not the camp police. I just admire that they went somewhere beautiful.

I'm not quite sure why you have targeted my post for your criticism with 23 pages of campsite posts. I don't remember seeing in the title of this thread to post up campsites, then the community will question whether they were legit or not. I'm not gonna argue this with you because your post is not related to the topic of this thread, and you don't know me. If you do not like me that is fine. But please leave the drama for someone who is interested. I do not come here for drama or arguments. Thank you.

Last edited:
To get back to your question, you cannot have campfires within the yellow circled areas.

"campfires and wood stoves will be prohibited within ¼ mile of the following locations..."

For the record, all of my camp sites have been legal and I always follow the rules. If you had been backpacking with me you would know this.

There are many posts on this thread which I could question the legality of their camp selections and locations. But I am not the camp police. I just admire that they went somewhere beautiful.

I'm not quite sure why you have targeted my post for your criticism with 23 pages of campsite posts. I don't remember seeing in the title of this thread to post up campsites, then the community will question whether they were legit or not. I'm not gonna argue this with you because your post is not related to the topic of this thread, and you don't know me. If you do not like me that is fine. But please leave the drama for someone who is interested. I do not come here for drama or arguments. Thank you.

I don't think he was targeting you (reading it from here it doesn't seem that way to me) but you seem to be taking it very personally. It sounds like Windy is unsure of the regulations and was following up to learn more about the regulations and instead of helping you are just getting very defensive. Just my observation of this thread at this point....

@Dr Nebz I didn't mean to come off as the camp police and put you on trial. And I do apologize if I've offended your flawless record of rule following. I simply took your post of the fire at Ryder lake to be illegal and was just trying to understand the regs. Thanks.

I don't think he was targeting you (reading it from here it doesn't seem that way to me) but you seem to be taking it very personally. It sounds like Windy is unsure of the regulations and was following up to learn more about the regulations and instead of helping you are just getting very defensive. Just my observation of this thread at this point....

Lets be clear, this is an appropriate question: "Can you have fires at Ryder Lake?" That is an acceptable question which would have gotten a nice response from me.

This is not a question by Windy. Here was Windy's first post. "I do believe that fires are prohibited at Ryder lake @Dr Nebz.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5424815.pdf"

You don't ask a question with the intent to gain knowledge starting with "I do believe" as the opening to your question.

I did answer the first time. I responded with this. "1/4 mile from the lake is the permanent closure order for fires. They are not banned. Read the top line in the link you posted. I’m well aware of the regulations in the Uintas."

Sorry for sharing some pictures from my camps over the summer in the Uintas. I won't let it happen again.

Here's near John Lake from last summer. My second ever solo trip. It was a perfect summer afternoon/evening. Killing me to think about how nice it was out there right now. And that I didn't do more little weekend overnighters like this last year.IMG_20180623_184903.jpg