Album Campsites

Nice, swims!
Where are the two lakes in the 2nd and 3rd picture? There is climbing to be done there.
Do your kids still partake?

This presidents weekend we backpacked/packrafted the lower Dirty Devil. The weather was blustery and had some significant precip.

Here's our completely sheltered camp during morning rain at the edge of the Red Benches route of the Hayduke Trail. This desolate plateau, also hiding the mysterious Chinese route with it's massive pagoda like cairns, leads to the edge of Fiddler Cove - and to the shore of the Dirty Devil.

The 2 person mid was too big for this narrow ledge, so we had to be a little creative in the set-up, and hope for not too much up canyon wind to get in there.

At 128 cfs we found plenty of flow for this narrow, fast part of the river.

Image 2-20-17 at 22.32 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

Image 2-20-17 at 22.52 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

During the mid 70's , I was always curious about the Hang Gliders I saw flying around Boulder/Golden so I took lessons, started buying gliders, and by the late 70's I was at the very top end of the pilot rating scale and still at a point of life that I could save everything I could for 1 yr. So in 1979, I quit my job, sublet my tiny apartment, and threw my glider on the top of my truck, along with my tent, sleeping bag and stove in the back , and traveled the country from HG site to HG site for 6 months.

31516210971_74e548bd18_o.jpg

30821742923_3a81a6f912_o.jpg

31259610250_4142ce6561_o.jpg

Utah was always my favorite site, and all the above were from there, and taken straight from camp, but there is no more iconic launch than Yosemite , and Glacier Point.

31594871976_1261aa21a3_o.jpg
I love the vintage shots. Thanks for posting.

The end of my Duomid's being nice, clean, and new. The desert sand and dust destroyed it. This is at the superbowl campground near the needles district of canyonlands NP.

moab17-033-L.jpg

The view the other way was better (includes some neat cliffs and the new adventure vehicle, which it turns out is suceptible to mice eating the wiring)
moab17-036-XL.jpg

w
The end of my Duomid's being nice, clean, and new. The desert sand and dust destroyed it. This is at the superbowl campground near the needles district of canyonlands NP.

moab17-033-L.jpg

The view the other way was better (includes some neat cliffs and the new adventure vehicle, which it turns out is suceptible to mice eating the wiring)
moab17-036-XL.jpg
The "superbowl" campground ??? The best kind of tent and the best kind of adventure vehicle are the ones you use and look like you used well :) I personally like to leave the red utah dirt on my vehicle to show off after a return to civilization. I think they both look good out there B!

http://www.grandcanyontrust.org/superbowl-campground this one. should have been called the dust bowl! nice evening views though. My vehicles are pretty much never clean, it's 5 or 6 miles to the nearest paved road from my house.

w
The "superbowl" campground ??? The best kind of tent and the best kind of adventure vehicle are the ones you use and look like you used well :) I personally like to leave the red utah dirt on my vehicle to show off after a return to civilization. I think they both look good out there B!

moab17-033-L.jpg

moab17-036-XL.jpg
Mice ate wiring in your truck??

Mice ate wiring in your truck??

At some point, yes, definite rodent damage. It could have happened at home and problems began showing while I was in Utah, I have had mice chew through one of the vacuum lines for the brakes on my car before. I have gone on a pretty serious rodent elimination campaign in my shop for the last month or so though so I'm hoping this didn't happen in my own shop. the pickup also showed no problems at all until I started it at the elephant hill trailhead the day after the above pic was taken.

Our campsite in Davis Gulch this past weekend. It was tucked into a bend that gave us shade all day long in the main part of camp with plenty of sun in the water. 100 yards downstream was LaGorce Arch and a half mile upstream was a double waterfall and the start of the hike. Perfect.

davis-3000-2.jpg

Our campsite in Davis Gulch this past weekend. It was tucked into a bend that gave us shade all day long in the main part of camp with plenty of sun in the water. 100 yards downstream was LaGorce Arch and a half mile upstream was a double waterfall and the start of the hike. Perfect.

View attachment 55011
Sweet! Nice to see that "Whale Chaser" is still on the water and in the hunt!