Backcountry Vehicles

:rolleyes: Ohhh puleeeeeeeeasee... There are plenty of other 4WD vehicles that could handle their own against a Jeep. Everyone has their preferences but suggesting that nothing else does as well as a your ideal Wrangler is just plain silly. I'd take a stock Tacoma TRD Off Road over a stock Wrangler Rubicon any day of the week and I guarantee I could keep up and more. And it'd look a lot better doing it too! ;) And no, that does not depend on my definition of backcountry.

OK, Ill go back to my corner but I respectfully disagree with your Rubicon assessment.

I'd like the early Broncos back they fixed the rust.....

:rolleyes: Ohhh puleeeeeeeeasee... There are plenty of other 4WD vehicles that could handle their own against a Jeep. Everyone has their preferences but suggesting that nothing else does as well as a your ideal Wrangler is just plain silly. I'd take a stock Tacoma TRD Off Road over a stock Wrangler Rubicon any day of the week and I guarantee I could keep up and more. And it'd look a lot better doing it too! ;) And no, that does not depend on my definition of backcountry.

I'll give you this when you consider the typical Rubicon owner out there. However, pair a Rubicon up with someone who knows how to handle a vehicle off the pavement, and I'd put my money on the Jeep :)

Well you can't deny the part about the Taco looking better doing it! ;) Haha! I'll just be over here hating on jeeps, as usual. :)
Hey, I'm a guy driving a Willys 3B. I'll have you know ugly is in the eyes of the beholder----------------------------------------------------------------------

But it sort of grew on me. Wart?

I find this thread interesting mainly from the perspective of what people consider "backcounty" with respect to vehicles. My wife and I considered a lot of possibilities when it became obvious that we needed something more than the Subaru Forester just to make sure we could get home in the winter. We took a Wrangler JK for a test drive the first year they came out (2007) and it was more gutless than any thing I have ever owned, the only exception being a 1960 Benz 190Db diesel. But at least that car got fantastic mileage and ran a half million miles, even if it had no backcounty capability.

Fast forward to 2012 and the arrival of the 3.6L JK. Night and day power difference and better mileage to boot over the older 3.8L. While there are certainly other options depending on one's definition of backcountry, if you really want off road ability along with something to go get groceries, a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (4 door) is very hard platform to surpass. Ours has seen some pretty wicked Jeep trail without any problems and I wouldn't hesitate to make that same purchasing decision again.

Haha, I love this thread. The back & forth between Jeep vs. Toyota is an age old battle! Obviously it's such a subjective thing, and both vehicles do just fine. But my preference is a Tacoma over a Rubicon or Jeep anyday of the week.. This will get me to and back from pretty much any definition or perspective of what backcountry is. Oh, and I can carry more than a gallon of water and a small backpack in it :uhhuh: For me I need the extra room, with kid, dog & gear no way a jeep could give me the room I need. Oh and Nick is spot on, Tacomas look way better doing it! :D

Cheers All,
Jesse

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Haha, I love this thread. The back & forth between Jeep vs. Toyota is an age old battle! Obviously it's such a subjective thing, and both vehicles do just fine. But my preference is a Tacoma over a Rubicon or Jeep anyday of the week.. This will get me to and back from pretty much any definition or perspective of what backcountry is. Oh, and I can carry more than a gallon of water and a small backpack in it :uhhuh: For me I need the extra room, with kid, dog & gear no way a jeep could give me the room I need. Oh and Nick is spot on, Tacomas look way better doing it! :D

Cheers All,
Jesse

View attachment 27149 View attachment 27151 View attachment 27150
Like I said, depends on one's definition of backcountry. Nice truck, but you wouldn't get a 100 yards into the trails I like just because that space you prefer makes it way too big. And the reason I still prefer my space deficit disordered 3B for the tough stuff. Uncivilized or not.

16024655623_aa899e19e0_b.jpg

It is certainly a case of to each their own, but with a heavy dose of where the "own" is going to be.

Like I said, depends on one's definition of backcountry. Nice truck, but you wouldn't get a 100 yards into the trails I like just because that space you prefer makes it way too big. And the reason I still prefer my space deficit disordered 3B for the tough stuff. Uncivilized or not.

16024655623_aa899e19e0_b.jpg

It is certainly a case of to each their own, but with a heavy dose of where the "own" is going to be.

Absolutely John, not trying to say mines bigger at all! Haha.. Yours is for sure and yes will get you "more" places. The longer wheelbase I have definitely is limiting, but I don't rock crawl. Not my preference. Very happy to see your 3B will get you where you need to go. As long as your happy, I'm happy where I can get to. Nice rig btw. Just cause I don't like jeeps dosnt mean I don't respect them for what they are. Just some fun prodding, it's never meant to be a competition for me. Just sharing!

Did I post this in this thread already? :roflmao: '97 Ford F-250 with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel. Got me into the Maze and Doll House camp #3. I s'pose just about anything is good enough to get you into the backcountry. :D

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/02/nissan-xterra-discontinued-after-2015.html

Nissan is discontinuing the Xterra at the end of 2015.

Nissan’s Jeep Wrangler competitor needs upgraded safety and emissions equipment to stay on the market and it seems the brand has decided that the investment is not worth it. This is mostly due to the Xterra’s declining sales, which fell by 7 percent last year to 16,505 units sold.

The Xterra has only received light updates since it went on sale back in 2005 and although it is commended for its tough body-on-frame design that makes it ideal for off-roading, it has been criticized for its poor fuel economy and unrefined driving dynamics.

The 2015 Xterra is now available at Nissan dealerships with some light upgrades including an updated infotainment unit and a new exterior paint option. Power comes from a 4.0-liter V6 with 261 hp and 281 lb-ft of torque. The 2015 Xterra will start from $24,520 with a five-speed automatic transmission.

Too bad, always been with Nissan, but like all things ....they change. Altho I thought the newer (>2005 ) looked bigger and more streeted out than the older ones. I have a 04 Xterra and a 02 Frontier currently.