Backcountry Vehicles

No offense taken, I keep saying they've really mom-mobiled the new Jeeps. Bummer that they did that to the GCs! I've been testing the GCs, Liberty and XTerra. The XTerras all have rust and trashed plastic in the interior, the Liberty is too small, the Grand Cherokee has been the leader so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That have really sissyfied all the off road vehicles because most want a smoother ride and less hassle. Its hard to even find a full frame SUV any more.

My wife has a two door Wrangler that is still very basic but it rides like a log wagon. The four doors ride better because of the longer wheel base and you still get a solid front axle with a manual transfer case.

My F150 is better off road, can't beat the limited slip axles and a V8 but it won't go on many of the trails because it is too wide.

DSC_0219.JPG
I have had Toyotas before...But, after having a toyota land cruiser; I can say that I probably won't buy another rig. Solid build, great reliability, and simply just a tank.

You actually like having to get out in the mud to lock hubs?!?! :confused:
No, you plan ahead and lock them in BEFORE you drive in the mud hole....... :giggle:

[QUOTE=" The XTerras all have rust and trashed plastic in the interior, the Liberty is too small, the Grand Cherokee has been the leader so far.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sell you my 04 Xterra.......no rust and inside is all there, actually pretty perfect shape 90K on it. Actually probably can't it's the wifes. Never did like the GC's too streeted out, earlier Cherokees were great though.

That have really sissyfied all the off road vehicles because most want a smoother ride and less hassle. Its hard to even find a full frame SUV any more.

Not all. Tacomas, Tundras, 4runners, FJ cruiers, Sequoias, Land Cruisers, and Wranglers all have a fully boxed frames with true 4wd systems with a high and low transfer case.

Since the government has mandated a minimum average MPG standard across models for a manufacturer, they're feeling the pressure (and are required) to go lighter duty and lighter weight.

Have you looked into a 2003-2008 4runner? Fantastic rigs for the price. Tacomas and tundras are still more expensive than the 4runners, despite a lower price when new.

Even though a lot of new rigs come with "soccer mom" awd, they can still get a lot of places with a skilled driver.

I find this thread interesting mainly from the perspective of what people consider "backcounty" with respect to vehicles. My wife and I considered a lot of possibilities when it became obvious that we needed something more than the Subaru Forester just to make sure we could get home in the winter. We took a Wrangler JK for a test drive the first year they came out (2007) and it was more gutless than any thing I have ever owned, the only exception being a 1960 Benz 190Db diesel. But at least that car got fantastic mileage and ran a half million miles, even if it had no backcounty capability.

Fast forward to 2012 and the arrival of the 3.6L JK. Night and day power difference and better mileage to boot over the older 3.8L. While there are certainly other options depending on one's definition of backcountry, if you really want off road ability along with something to go get groceries, a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (4 door) is very hard platform to surpass. Ours has seen some pretty wicked Jeep trail without any problems and I wouldn't hesitate to make that same purchasing decision again.

Not all. Tacomas, Tundras, 4runners, FJ cruiers, Sequoias, Land Cruisers, and Wranglers all have a fully boxed frames with true 4wd systems with a high and low transfer case.

Since the government has mandated a minimum average MPG standard across models for a manufacturer, they're feeling the pressure (and are required) to go lighter duty and lighter weight.

Have you looked into a 2003-2008 4runner? Fantastic rigs for the price. Tacomas and tundras are still more expensive than the 4runners, despite a lower price when new.

Even though a lot of new rigs come with "soccer mom" awd, they can still get a lot of places with a skilled driver.

OUR 2006 4RUNNER IS SWEET...QUICK, CAPABLE, AND RELIABLE...GREAT VEHICLES!

I find this thread interesting mainly from the perspective of what people consider "backcounty" with respect to vehicles. My wife and I considered a lot of possibilities when it became obvious that we needed something more than the Subaru Forester just to make sure we could get home in the winter. We took a Wrangler JK for a test drive the first year they came out (2007) and it was more gutless than any thing I have ever owned, the only exception being a 1960 Benz 190Db diesel. But at least that car got fantastic mileage and ran a half million miles, even if it had no backcounty capability.

Fast forward to 2012 and the arrival of the 3.6L JK. Night and day power difference and better mileage to boot over the older 3.8L. While there are certainly other options depending on one's definition of backcountry, if you really want off road ability along with something to go get groceries, a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (4 door) is very hard platform to surpass. Ours has seen some pretty wicked Jeep trail without any problems and I wouldn't hesitate to make that same purchasing decision again.

:rolleyes: Ohhh puleeeeeeeeasee... There are plenty of other 4WD vehicles that could handle their own against a Jeep. Everyone has their preferences but suggesting that nothing else does as well as a your ideal Wrangler is just plain silly. I'd take a stock Tacoma TRD Off Road over a stock Wrangler Rubicon any day of the week and I guarantee I could keep up and more. And it'd look a lot better doing it too! ;) And no, that does not depend on my definition of backcountry.

haha ............................................ all you ever hear is Jeep and Toyota for a 4x4. The Nissan Xterra can hold it's own against any. The Nissan Frontier can hold it's own against any similar. Everyone needs to look outside of the box what the advertisers push on everyone. They are built to last and perform. That's why all the car beands out there, so we can choose...... :)

haha ............................................ all you ever hear is Jeep and Toyota for a 4x4. The Nissan Xterra can hold it's own against any. The Nissan Frontier can hold it's own against any similar. Everyone needs to look outside of the box what the advertisers push on everyone. They are built to last and perform. That's why all the car beands out there, so we can choose...... :)

FWIW, the advertisers push the Nissans just as hard. I just think they're unreliable and not as good looking! :) I seriously considered both a Frontier and a Titan at one point. But Toyota resell value is so good that you can swap it out every few years and barely lose any money. It's bordering on ridiculous how much a used Tacoma is worth. A good negotiator can usually get a new one for about as much as one with ~10k miles on it. I'm also very fond of my Toyota salesman. We've tried to go to other brands but get quickly reminded how slimy and evil most car salesmen are and always run back to him.

But I agree with you about them holding their own on the trail. They're all basically the same in that respect, IMO. Some may be slightly better here or there but they can all handle the same obstacles for the most part. That's why I was kind of laughing at the notion that a Jeep is hands down better than whatever else. Maybe not for some serious rock crawling type stuff, but for 99% of 'backcountry roads', any decent HC 4WD vehicle will do nicely. So then it's really just personal preference - what look do you like, resell, storage, reliability and so on.

I'd love to see the ford ranger come back, especially if it had a little 4 cyl ecoboost.

I'm not a Ford guy, but I have to admit I was stoked when I saw the Bronco was coming back. Then sad when I learned it was a hoax.

upload_2015-2-24_11-6-4.png

Toyota resell value is so good that you can swap it out every few years and barely lose any money. It's bordering on ridiculous how much a used Tacoma is worth.

100% agree.

You can buy a brand new TRD tacoma for $35k

Then you can drive it 50k miles and sell it for $30k. It's ridiculous. I wonder if the new, ugly, 2016 tacomas will be the same way.

I thought the 2014 Tundra redesign was ugly at first. Now I'm totally drooling over it. I imagine it'll be the same with the 2016 Taco. Funny though, my first impression was 'nice', then after you just said that I went and looked again and I was like 'yeah, that is kinda ugly'. Haha!

2012-2015 were my favorite tacomas. If they made one with the 4.7L V8, they would be sold out years in advance, even though the new motor has just as much power.

I keep forgetting this is a western forum. I live in the salt belt, those Toyotas with full frames don't typically last too long. By the time I get to them the frame is already so rusted out that they look like unibody vehicles. ;)

I'll stick with my brute, even if it only gets 12mpg.
6bf527f169a2a6bfb485ccd4ad88e30b.jpg

When i think offroad vehicle, the 1980's Chevy Suburban always comes to mind.
Mostly because when i was a kid that's all we used when we'd go camping with the ole boy scout troop...they could go anywhere!