Wind Rivers Traverse - Backpacking 90 miles in the Wind Rivers

With how little of the Cirque you included in the video, it was obvious how anxious you all were just to be done with that trip and get back to the car and how quickly you all wanted to get out of there.

100%. It was also a function of us forgetting to film more. It's amazing how being the subject as well as the man behind the lens complicates things. I can either focus on hiking, or focus on filming the hike. It's tough to do both. :) It takes constant thought to remind myself to film each piece. Also, we never really got in a great position to film the cirque, since we were up against the mountains for most of it.

To be honest, I was expecting the Cirque to be ever cooler. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing, but it wasn't so amazing that we wanted to spend an extra 4 hours there just lying around.

I had to keep reminding myself you were going out at Big Sandy, not Elkhart. The walk out from Elkhart sucks compared to the walk out from Cirque. That's a MUCH better way to top off such an epic journey! Oh, and 4k rocks. Thanks.

Good to know. We've been curious what the walk out from Elkhart is like. I scratched the lens on my GoPro on this trip, and I was pretty disappointed with the footage. Watching it back in 4k is definitely the way to go (unless you don't have a 4k TV/Monitor).

We're contemplating doing one more video highlighting all the gear we used on the trip. We've had a lot of questions about it, and I think it might be fun for some people.

Thanks for watching everyone, and thanks for all the kind comments.
Great videos. Makes me miss summer in the mountains.

It would be great to see more footage inside the Ultamid to get an idea of usable space and how it compared to the other tents.

It would be great to see more footage inside the Ultamid to get an idea of usable space and how it compared to the other tents.

I'll have to do a full review of the ultamid. There's a ton of square footage on the ground, and it slopes up pretty quickly, so you don't rub against the walls much. We've had 4 people in it before and it was fine.

We've got a bit more footage of the ultamid in our Salt Creek Video:

Personally.....the Cirque is overrated unless you are a climber.....many other places way nicer
I agree with Bob. I think it was over hyped for me so I expected more...

FYI - Instead of dropping down to Arrow Head Lake stay left and high from the pass. I've hiked both ways and it's 100 times easier than that boulder field along Arrow Head.

Good to know! That was not an easy section. We'll definitely try that next time. Thanks.

The Wind River High Route, as proposed by Adventure Alan and discussed here, is a super trip, and became one of 2015's best outings for us. A sentiment @steve probably felt too.

I'm sure most of you have seen this thread on BPL, touching on controversial subjects. Even if Skurka's pay-per-view itinerary happens to be superior, I'm grateful for Alan's open and generous presentation of his route.

But on the other hand, does the Internet's ease of sharing info lead to overuse of these remote backcountry areas? On the WRHR we saw one other party having the same goal, with print-outs from Alan's site in hand. A few weeks later Steve did it. Trolling the appropriate sites and forums, I estimate at least another dozen parties attempted the route in Aug/Sept. For something of this scope, that seems like a high number.

The also predominantly trail-less Sierra High Route is most certainly more traveled.

Last edited:
The Wind River High Route, as proposed by Adventure Alan and discussed here, is a super trip, and became one of 2015's best outings for us. A sentiment @steve probably felt too.

I'm sure most of you have seen this thread on BPL, touching on controversial subjects. Even if Skurka's pay-per-view itinerary happens to be superior, I'm grateful for Alan's open and generous presentation of his route.

But on the other hand, does the Internet's ease of sharing info lead to overuse of these remote backcountry areas? On the WRHR we saw one other party having the same goal, with print-outs from Alan's site in hand. A few weeks later Steve did it. Trolling the appropriate sites and forums, I estimate at least another dozen parties attempted the route in Aug/Sept. For something of this scope, that seems like a high number.

The also predominantly trail-less Sierra High Route is most certainly more traveled.

Internet's ease of sharing is a double edged sword. Something that we are constantly discussing it seems, probably more in person than on the webs. There isn't a one-fits-all answer for this question, more of a continuum that says keep it secret! on one end, and free for all on the other.

There are places that I feel need to be kept secret, but I must admit are mostly for selfish reasons. There are sensitive areas, and leaving only footprints is certainly not actually attainable.

The trade off is quite large though. If people know how spectacular these places are, how drastically necessary a dark starry night, how the uninterrupted trickle of stream can bring peace to ones soul, they might be more interested in protecting the place. A stance that Steve Allen uses in his guides, and I find justifiable in most cases. There is also the idea that by opening other areas, we are taking high stress off of others.

When publishing routes, I think we have an obligation to stress LNT practices. More importantly, the simple joys that we experience can create partners in protecting what precious wilderness we have left.

If we don't also become stewards for the land, we're missing something.

Last edited:
Kulla...... I think the internet gets more people out on routes. Heck, we did our version of the high route in 2009. Saw a few people and they were mostly amazed what we were undertaking......

One problem I see is someone, not as skilled, would try some routes and get into trouble... but with all the people out there not much stays a secret. What took me years to find locations to, now can be found relatively quickly, if you know how to research the web..

Steve thanks for sharing those awesome videos! Sounds like a great trip. Very inspiring!

I agree with Bob. I think it was over hyped for me so I expected more...

FYI - Instead of dropping down to Arrow Head Lake stay left and high from the pass. I've hiked both ways and it's 100 times easier than that boulder field along Arrow Head.

It is possible to avoid the boulder field on the west side of Arrowhead Lake simply by taking the Climber's pass and staying up high against the cliffs until you are past the the boulders. There is one spot where you have to climb down about six feet but it is much easier than either dropping down to Arrowhead Lake and then climbing all the way back up the main trail on the east side of the lake or, alternately, staying high up on Jackass pass on the east side of Arrowhead Lake. The Climber's Pass is the only route I take when going into or leaving the Cirque these days.

I struggle with the same dilemma regarding information on the internet. There seem to be main dangers:

1) Too many people travelling off-trail over ecologically delicate terrain, leading to environmental degradation
2) Lower barriers to entry encourage less skillful people to try their hand in truly gnarly environments, posing dangers to themselves and others
3) Hipsterism - I enjoyed this area before it became popular!

Ok so the third one is clearly tongue-in-cheek, but I think the first two dangers are very real. Personally, I'm in that crowd. A buddy and I did a high-route style trip through the Winds last year, and we used some several key points of beta from Wilson/Dixon/Skurka (Skurka was gracious enough to share some beta including a rough copy of his maps with us, before he actually published them). The fact that Alpine Lakes Basin is passable, for example, or Bonnevile-Raid col.

Where too much information becomes unhelpful, for me, is when it presents a one-stop-shop for all the information you need to complete a route. It's one thing to ask "hey, is this pass doable" or "where do you think the best trailheads are". When it comes to off-trail routes, I think per-requisites must include the ability to map/plan/compile one's own route. Contrast this with a Skurka bundle, which has pre-made maps, climate discussion, transportation suggestions, all in one (too) convenient place.

*I'm a huge hypocrite of course because I'm hiking the Hayduke trail in stages, something which I didn't map myself and haven't deviated too much from the main route/established alts

I struggle with the same dilemma regarding information on the internet. There seem to be main dangers:

1) Too many people travelling off-trail over ecologically delicate terrain, leading to environmental degradation
2) Lower barriers to entry encourage less skillful people to try their hand in truly gnarly environments, posing dangers to themselves and others
3) Hipsterism - I enjoyed this area before it became popular!

Ok so the third one is clearly tongue-in-cheek, but I think the first two dangers are very real. Personally, I'm in that crowd. A buddy and I did a high-route style trip through the Winds last year, and we used some several key points of beta from Wilson/Dixon/Skurka (Skurka was gracious enough to share some beta including a rough copy of his maps with us, before he actually published them). The fact that Alpine Lakes Basin is passable, for example, or Bonnevile-Raid col.

Where too much information becomes unhelpful, for me, is when it presents a one-stop-shop for all the information you need to complete a route. It's one thing to ask "hey, is this pass doable" or "where do you think the best trailheads are". When it comes to off-trail routes, I think per-requisites must include the ability to map/plan/compile one's own route. Contrast this with a Skurka bundle, which has pre-made maps, climate discussion, transportation suggestions, all in one (too) convenient place.

*I'm a huge hypocrite of course because I'm hiking the Hayduke trail in stages, something which I didn't map myself and haven't deviated too much from the main route/established alts
I'm torn about the whole subject. I Love the idea of having all of those places to myself and kinda wish I was in that elite group who did all the amazing stuff before it was even public. But, i am not that guy. Most of my recent adventures have been fuled by information I have found (even purchased) on the internet. With out its aid I wouldn't even know about some of the stuff I have done.

I can just hope that people are smart and respectful and treat the popular places kindly. I do rejoice in the fact that there are still wild places.

I struggle with the same dilemma regarding information on the internet.

I understand the ethical dilemma, but my experience suggests that the concerns are not strongly founded. I did the SHR in 2008 with Buzz, and afterwards put the maps out there, and since then have had enough downloads that you'd think it would be as popular as the JMT. Wrong. I spent a lot of time in SEKI and YOSE since 2011, and almost NEVER see people on the SHR, nor much evidence of them. And among high alpine routes, the SHR is considered "popular." Info on the Wind River High Route has been out for a few years, yet last year I only saw one party out there on it, in prime time end of August. I think we need to stop taking ourselves so seriously by thinking that some online information is going to ruin the areas that we love. Yes, it might inspire a few groups each year, but they're probably the types of groups that you enjoy running into anyway.

Totally agree.I really enjoy (and reference frequently) the info you post @Andrew Skurka , it's made me aware of some great routes. Thank you for all your contributions to the outdoors community.