Wind Rivers Traverse - Backpacking 90 miles in the Wind Rivers

What were your thoughts Art?
If that was the borrowed one that he and Nate slept in up in the high Wind Rivers I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like saran wrap :) you could see movement through the fabric and when they had their headlights on and were doing whatever they were doing - oh my golly. No, but really, it looked flimsy but after playing with it I believe it is not at all flimsy. The opposite. I am considering a new tent but a) I only carry one trekking pole and b) I am not paying a $500 premium on a $400 tent (or whatever it is) for saran-wrap. I only carry mine for probably 25 nights a year so probably not worth it to me.

Last edited:
If that was the borrowed one that he and Nate slept in up in the high Wind Rivers I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like saran wrap :) you could see movement through the fabric and when they had their headlights on and were doing whatever they were doing - oh my golly. No, but really, it looked flimsy but after playing with it I believe it is not at all flimsy. The opposite. I am considering a new tent but a) I only carry one trekking pole and b) I am not paying a $500 premium on a $400 tent (or whatever it is) for saran-wrap.
BTW sorry for thread-jacking your great TR @steve...

It is expensive saran wrap. But durable and doesn't absorb water. Or stretch when wet. It is kind of see through. What was _ up to in there?

It is expensive saran wrap. But durable and doesn't absorb water. Or stretch when wet. It is kind of see through. What was _ up to in there?
That's a good question. I averted my eyes after the first suggestion of ....

Might be a stupid question, but with floorless tents, do you use a bivy or waterproof shell inside the tent for your sleeping bag?

I dont. If I'm worried about scorpions or spiders, I'll take a bug net bivvy. This is the most waterproof tent I've used. Water doesn't get more than an inch or two inside. This "saran wrap" is Cuben fiber. Fascinating material that is not cheap, but has some amazing properties. As river mentioned, it doesn't absorb water, it doesn't stretch, and it's incredibly strong and incredibly light. My pack is also made of cuben fiber, and it's never let a drop of water inside.

I've got more video of this tent in use on our salt creek trip video. You can find it on my yt channel.

Haha slc dan.....

Good trip Steve......

Our 2009 traverse trip we did about 115 miles, gpx file is in the resource section.....packs started at 41 lbs with camera and fishing gear..... 21 lbs at the finish.

You can get lighter stuff without going crazy...... :)

Those high alpine lakes looked so beautiful! Getting up and over those glaciers looked interesting. I enjoyed the video. Looking forward to the next one!

How wet does a floorless tent get inside during a heavy rain?

Tara na!

We have been in plenty of rain with this tent. We have never had the rain seep in more than 2" past the edge. You have to be more mindful of where you pitch it, and how the ground will soak up the water, but we haven't had issues yet.

We also had bug net bivvys around out pad and sleeping bag. If it did get wet, that should help a little bit.

If you get to camp and it's been raining for hours before you get there, you're going to be sleeping on wet dirt/mud (its mud before you even set up your tent).

It's not for everyone, but I absolutely love that tent. They make floors and bug nets for it, but we haven't needed them yet. It's best to think of this as a shelter, not a tent. It's 1.8 lbs for a 4 man shelter that never stretches, is extremely strong, and never absorbs water. (thus it never gets heavier). Plus it's incredibly easy to pitch.

We have been in plenty of rain with this tent. We have never had the rain seep in more than 2" past the edge. You have to be more mindful of where you pitch it, and how the ground will soak up the water, but we haven't had issues yet.

We also had bug net bivvys around out pad and sleeping bag. If it did get wet, that should help a little bit.

If you get to camp and it's been raining for hours before you get there, you're going to be sleeping on wet dirt/mud (its mud before you even set up your tent).

It's not for everyone, but I absolutely love that tent. They make floors and bug nets for it, but we haven't needed them yet. It's best to think of this as a shelter, not a tent. It's 1.8 lbs for a 4 man shelter that never stretches, is extremely strong, and never absorbs water. (thus it never gets heavier). Plus it's incredibly easy to pitch.
Cool. Thanks for taking the time to answer my silly questions. I'd love to try a tent like that sometime.

Last edited:
Yay! Another video of this trip. I, very much, look forward to these.

That country looked beautiful. The off trail travel looks pretty intense too. What made you choose to go up to Wall Lake and not down and around via Seneca? Would you go that route again?

That guy that got lost! Oh my goodness, I think i would have been freaking out. Part of me would want to stay and help look, but I think I would ultimately do what your group did. Continue on with my orginal plan. Hopefully he was found and all was well.

We wanted to help too, but they were way faster hikers than us, and they had combed the entire area for at least 7 hours with no sign of him. I had my SAR beacon with me, and they could have used it, but it would have sent my emergency contacts a message saying i was in dire need of help. They chose not to use it after all.

I was WAY out of my comfort zone there, and I worried about our own safety to be honest. It sounds stupid, i know, but there were so many unknowns that could have been big trouble for us. At this point we were 45 miles from the nearest trailhead, and if we had a week long winter storm, it would pin us down, we'd lose the trail, and we'd run out of food. I wasn't very relaxed on this trip, especially since I was the trip leader, and I took responsibility for everyone's safety. Man, it was tough seeing those guys with a lost friend though.

We wanted to help too, but they were way faster hikers than us, and they had combed the entire area for at least 7 hours with no sign of him. I had my SAR beacon with me, and they could have used it, but it would have sent my emergency contacts a message saying i was in dire need of help. They chose not to use it after all.

I was WAY out of my comfort zone there, and I worried about our own safety to be honest. It sounds stupid, i know, but there were so many unknowns that could have been big trouble for us. At this point we were 45 miles from the nearest trailhead, and if we had a week long winter storm, it would pin us down, we'd lose the trail, and we'd run out of food. I wasn't very relaxed on this trip, especially since I was the trip leader, and I took responsibility for everyone's safety. Man, it was tough seeing those guys with a lost friend though.

yeah... not a fun situation to run into on a trip like that. kidna sucks some of the fun out of it.

What made you choose to go up to Wall Lake and not down and around via Seneca? Would you go that route again?
what about your route selection?

what about your route selection?

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me.

We chatted with Bob and reviewed a few other routes that recommended going that way. I'm glad we did, it was pretty. The pass over into Wall Lake wasn't bad at all. I know it's sacrilege and i'll be burnt at the stake for saying this, but Wall Lake wasn't the most spectacular area for me. It could have been the wind, chilly temps, and how overcast it was. It wasn't a tough hike, but it seemed to last forever, trying to get down to the start of Wall Lake. If it had been sunny and 70*, I think we would have wanted to stay there all day. With nasty weather (and ours wasn't that nasty), I was just trying to get out of there as quick as possible, since it was a major wind tunnel.