Album Wildlife

Kinda out of his ekenent

No sign of bears in Panthertown Valley, NC, which is a protected black bear preserve.
My personal belief is that an apex predator, the Carolina Cobra, has established domain over the Valley, and decimated the bear population.
But it's just a theory...
20210609_152435.jpg

Sorry for the shaky GIF; I was trembling with fear!
20210609_152333_2.gif

Trout taking a fly in the South Platte River at Deckers, CO.

071621-5-L.jpg

A pretty bold "camp" deer.
RCM00604-Naturaliste le Trois 9-2021-210903-46.jpg

When I first saw him from a distance looking at us, I said "Hey girl". Thinking it was the doe we had scared an hour before. The daughter said, "He's a boy." to which I said "Dude looks like a lady, na na, na na..."
It was then I felt a failure as a parent. My daughter just stared at me, obviously not understanding.
I am going to have to buy her an Aerosmith t-shirt to go with her AC/DC...
The deer was unruffled, and walked towards us until he heard the shutter from this pic.
He came back a few more times.

This gopher snake was hanging out nearby when I pulled a recently deceased pocket gopher out of a trap in my garden. I didn't think he'd be interested in it since it was already dead, and I was pretty sure it was too big for him anyways. While he was close to 4' long his head wasn't much bigger than a quarter. The gopher was as big as a large baked potato. I tossed it in front of him, and after a thorough inspection he went for it! It took him 30 minutes, but he did it.

Hopefully the short video I made posts:

CapturesNAKE.JPG

This gopher snake was hanging out nearby when I pulled a recently deceased pocket gopher out of a trap in my garden. I didn't think he'd be interested in it since it was already dead, and I was pretty sure it was too big for him anyways. While he was close to 4' long his head wasn't much bigger than a quarter. The gopher was as big as a large baked potato. I tossed it in front of him, and after a thorough inspection he went for it! It took him 30 minutes, but he did it.

Hopefully the short video I made posts:

View attachment 101479
Very interesting to see. Gopher snake living up to its name!