Album Wildlife

It's too early for the "real" rut, but pre-rut activity is getting into full swing, as it normally does in late August. That sounds like typical young bull just trying to impress his mom and his sisters with what a bad azz he is turning into :D. I watched two different young rag horns doing exactly that and sounding very similar last weekend in the La Sals. I was wishing I had a diaphragm and a grunt tube with me so I could have made a King Of The Mountain full on rut crazed bull scream just to watch those little bulls shit themselves :D.

Cow calls are generally more interesting and do seem to serve more elaborate communication purposes. Elk are of course a herd animal and there is generally a matriarch - a "lead cow" that decides when and where the herd moves. She often does a lot of the vocalizing, but the whole herd can get to yapping when they are having a good time out in a meadow grazing.

Had a very neat experience with cow elk vocalizing about 25 years ago while bowhunting on Monroe Mountain. Getting very near dark, I had managed to sneak out into the meadow right on the edge of a herd of feeding elk, all cows and calfs, no bulls among them, about 30 animals total. The lead cow was obvious, as they usually are. Anyway, one of the beta cows started chirping, about what I've no idea - it wasn't me as I was downwind and well concealed. But the lead cow came trotting up to this chirping beta and the two of them raised up on their hind legs and had a boxing match with their front hooves. The rest of the herd started chirping like CRAZY while this was going on. Being practically right in the middle of it, hearing all the individual animals and unique voices and inflections, it was just super cool. After about four instances of the raising on hind legs and boxing with front hooves, the beta shut her yap, the lead cow moved off and began a perimeter patrol which resulted in her detecting my presence, she gave the distinctive warning chirp and they all exited stage left, post haste.

Very cool experience.

Along similar lines and something I never hear or read about, but I've had similar experiences with pronghorns vocalizing. Seriously, I don't remember ever reading anything about them vocalizing, but I've been close in on a herd and heard them making soft chirps amongst themselves that sound very similar to cow elk calls.

- DAA

... but the whole herd can get to yapping when they are having a good time out in a meadow grazing...., ...one of the beta cows started chirping...., ..... she gave the distinctive warning chirp and they all exited stage left, post haste.... ,
- DAA

Thanks Dave! So it is immature male(s) practicing their bugling. I appreciate the info. I wish I had examples of the other vocalizations you refer to above. The "mewing" I described in the meadow in the dark was hard to describe.

A bunny wabbit that let me take his photo yesterday.

20130910_Bucks-2.jpg

20130910_Bucks-3.jpg

20130910_Bucks-4.jpg

- DAA

Moose, that is your sister? I've been there backpacking. What a fabulous place!

...yep, that's her... full of sugar and spice, despite looking a bit beastly. i reckon thats the effects of spending a few season living in the alaskan outback. :D
all humor aside, she's been "working" up in the Katmai, Kulik lodge, the last few seasons. she loves the place.

wow, it suprises me that not only have you heard of the Katmai National Park, but you've been there and backpacked it.:cool: it seems like damn near everyone (not from alaska) that i've talked too has never heard of the place... and yet its the 4th largest national park in the US and larger than any national park in the lower-48's (4th largest in alaska). however, it's apparently one of the more inaccessible parks out there.

i would love to see you post up a quick TR of your outing.

...yep, that's her... full of sugar and spice, despite looking a bit beastly. i reckon thats the effects of spending a few season living in the alaskan outback. :D
i would love to see you post up a quick TR of your outing.

Good one! I didn't mean "her"....

I would consider a TR but my pictures are burned into sliver oxide and misfiled who knows where. The process of scanning all of my pics continues to overwhelm me to the point of avoidance.:facepalm: 20 years of film photography predate my 15 years of digital life.

I remember playing hacky sack on the dirt in front of the lodge steps at midnight (still light) and having to move onto the steps temporarily while a huge bruin walked through our court with aplomb.

Three different bear pics @HomerJ. You referring to the first and second? I'd agree with you on the first two pictures of the same apparent animal. What say you about the third?

Three different bear pics @HomerJ. You referring to the first and second? I'd agree with you on the first two pictures of the same apparent animal. What say you about the third?

Yes, the first two.

The 3rd bear is definitely a grizz! The hump on his back and the curve on his snout give it away.

@HomerJ and @langutah...the first 2 pictures are of the same bear, which is a cinnamon black bear. The third picture is a grizzly and her coy (cub of the year ). I spent about 45 minutes photographing the cinnamon bear. He was very cooperative. The sow grizz and cub were photographed over a 2 hour period. I think I took about 200 pictures of her and the cub. Both encounters took place in the backcountry of Yellowstone. Thanks for your compliments.

Kevin.

I love all these shots, I can look at wildlife pics all day! I focus mostly on wildlife and landscapes (when weddings and portraits are not funding my hobby);) I only have one on this computer, most are on my desktop and I can post more from there.

Blue Crane.jpg

I love all these shots, I can look at wildlife pics all day! I focus mostly on wildlife and landscapes (when weddings and portraits are not funding my hobby);) I only have one on this computer, most are on my desktop and I can post more from there.

Please do! We love animal photos....