Album Wildlife

I finally found my first desert tortoise a few days back in Joshua Tree NP. All the years I was hoping to see one, but it never happened.
Thanks to lostlandscapes, without his recommendation of Lost Palms Oasis trail I would have never found this guy

i-nWrZT8P-L.jpg

558686_2990441375424_1010832735_n.jpg

How about a little wildlife in an urban setting? I woke up yesterday morning, walked into my living room and there was a buck about 6 feet from my front door. I live on the east side of the Salt Lake valley in Cottonwood Heights but I'm still quite a ways from the mountains (2000 East). I was able to snap a pic of him as he fled the scene.

deer-in-slc.jpg

And just outside the same living room window a year or so ago, we were enjoying some coffee on a lazy weekend when we see something fall out of the sky followed by an explosion of feathers. I looked outside to this little murder scene. Anyone know what kind of bird that is (on top)?
bird-killing-bird.jpg

this sweetie welcomed me on my hike back in Kanarra Creek a few weeks back.
It stayed in this position for a few minutes, so I could get my shot with my point and shoot camera and a dying battery.

What is he?

These little guys provided the entertainment last night while I sat in front of my tent with a sundowner and a cigar.

Cute little buggers!

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-385W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-383W.jpg

I don't know if this was Mom, or a sister, or what, behind the tent. But she watched for awhile too but
didn't seem as entertained as I was...

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-422W.jpg

- DAA

Usually just whistle at them or sometimes blow a fawn in distress call - that usually gets them to turn and look back.

- DAA

Can someone help identify these elk calls/vocalizations as to their purpose? DAA? They don't sound like the normal male bugling during rut to me. It seems too early for the rut to have begun. There were multiple animals making the noises. I only actually saw one female but it was obvious there were many animals in the woods in the background. I filmed this last week at about 10K' in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness in the NE Wind Rivers. It was at dusk. Earlier in the trip at a different place we were in a meadow in our tents after dark when a bunch of mewing elk surrounded our tents while grazing. Interesting sounds too. A sign of contentment or them letting each other know where they were in the dark and that there was no danger. At least that is my interpretation.

Reactions: DAA