Album Wildlife

Does anyone know what kind of owl this is? Great horned? I found it under a road grader (that's a muddy tire in the background) just out of Bonderant, WY a couple of weeks ago. Actually, one of my dogs saw it and woofed, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it. I called the Teton Raptor Center near Jackson and they came and got it. It had been stunned by a car. Just curious as to what it is.

IMG_1571.JPG

Does anyone know what kind of owl this is? Great horned? I found it under a road grader (that's a muddy tire in the background) just out of Bonderant, WY a couple of weeks ago. Actually, one of my dogs saw it and woofed, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it. I called the Teton Raptor Center near Jackson and they came and got it. It had been stunned by a car. Just curious as to what it is.

View attachment 56054

A Great Horned Owl- Bubo virginianus- I believe. Poor thing

Thanks for the info. I think it's now recovering and they'll release it back where I found it, or in the vicinity.

You found a really pretty one. They have a lot of variation in color living across North America and I really like the patterns on this one.

It was beautiful. I didn't want to stress it any, but I did manage to get it to move around so I could see if it had a broken wing (it didn't). I've done some transport for bird rehab places, but only eagles and hawks. It managed to walk around some, then I left it alone. I've never been that close to one. The word inscrutable comes to mind.

Is it just the way the picture came out, of did that Owl have two different colored eyes? Either way, beautiful animal. We had a sick one on my parents' property this spring. Called FWP and they came to take it to a raptor center in Bozeman, I think. We never did find out whatever happened to it.

Is it just the way the picture came out, of did that Owl have two different colored eyes? Either way, beautiful animal. We had a sick one on my parents' property this spring. Called FWP and they came to take it to a raptor center in Bozeman, I think. We never did find out whatever happened to it.

I think the eyes were the same color, as I studied it pretty closely, looking for an injury, and it was just the angle and light. The people at the Teton Raptor Center were amazing. They had a volunteer from Bondurant up there right fast. These poor birds go after road kill at night and get hit more often than should happen. I hate to drive at night because of critters.

IMG_5088.JPG
I live on the edge of town right above the river. Because my back yard is mostly scrub oak going down to the water, I have a lot of wildlife come around, especially bears, who like to bed down in my grass. I have a big window where I can watch them, and this little fox comes by quite often and hangs out. These were taken through the window (unfortunately it's fixed so I can't open it for better shots). Not sure what has the fox's attention in the first one, but it might be one of my dogs out on the upper deck.

IMG_5097.JPG

Last edited:
In March of 2009 (IIRC) I was living in Moab and a huge dust storm blew in. I've never seen anything like it before or since, it reminded me of a haboob. The sky was dark and everything turned an eerie shade of red. I started taking pictures out my big window, when I noticed several ravens flying around, looking like they were playing. Whatever they were doing, they were excited. I snapped some shots, pretty blurry because of all the dust. Afterwards, it rained, and everyone's cars looked like they'd been driven through red mud at a high speed, just covered with red splotches. It was pretty memorable. Some of you here may recall it, too. The pair below appeared to be playing chicken, if ravens play chicken.

IMG_9386.JPG IMG_9403.JPG

View attachment 56129
I live on the edge of town right above the river. Because my back yard is mostly scrub oak going down to the water, I have a lot of wildlife come around, especially bears, who like to bed down in my grass. I have a big window where I can watch them, and this little fox comes by quite often and hangs out. These were taken through the window (unfortunately it's fixed so I can't open it for better shots). Not sure what has the fox's attention in the first one, but it might be one of my dogs out on the upper deck.

View attachment 56128
These are great, Rock! (what is your real first name if I could intrude, feels weird calling you Rock.) There are numerous sub-species of Vulpes vulpes with the Wasatch Red Fox being my favorite backyard one. ~Art

In March of 2009 (IIRC) I was living in Moab and a huge dust storm blew in. I've never seen anything like it before or since, it reminded me of a haboob. The sky was dark and everything turned an eerie shade of red. I started taking pictures out my big window, when I noticed several ravens flying around, looking like they were playing. Whatever they were doing, they were excited. I snapped some shots, pretty blurry because of all the dust. Afterwards, it rained, and everyone's cars looked like they'd been driven through red mud at a high speed, just covered with red splotches. It was pretty memorable. Some of you here may recall it, too. The pair below appeared to be playing chicken, if ravens play chicken.

View attachment 56390 View attachment 56391
Nice! Corvus corax are some of the most adept fliers in the animal kingdom and my favorite animal for innumerable reasons.

These are great, Rock! (what is your real first name if I could intrude, feels weird calling you Rock.) There are numerous sub-species of Vulpes vulpes with the Wasatch Red Fox being my favorite backyard one. ~Art
My name's Liz. :)