What's Cooking?

That's some hearty lasagna. How much does that pan weigh?

Grilled some burgers for the 4th.

My burger had pepper jack cheese, tomatoes, red onions, and green chilis. Enjoyed it with some baked beans, and an assortment of chips. Washed it all down with a blood orange ginger cider from Portland.

200.jpg
201.jpg
202.jpg

I am def not a food stylist...
We have a bunch of cherries, so I made Sour Cherry Jerk Chicken. Mesquite smoked with some mushrooms and served with kiwi and grapes and jasmine rice.

While I really like my apricot chipotle bbq sauce, this Sour Cherry Jerk might be a real crowd pleaser. Apricot bbq is next. My neighbor across the street has sweeter apricots than my next door neighbor, so I am waiting for those to ripen this week. I need them overripe and squishy.

IMG_5021.jpg

I am def not a food stylist...
We have a bunch of cherries, so I made Sour Cherry Jerk Chicken. Mesquite smoked with some mushrooms and served with kiwi and grapes and jasmine rice.

While I really like my apricot chipotle bbq sauce, this Sour Cherry Jerk might be a real crowd pleaser. Apricot bbq is next. My neighbor across the street has sweeter apricots than my next door neighbor, so I am waiting for those to ripen this week. I need them overripe and squishy.

View attachment 122937

That looks delicious!

I’ve made strawberry rhubarb pie before but never straight up rhubarb pie.

rhubarb needs to go with something else......

I’ve made strawberry rhubarb pie before but never straight up rhubarb pie.

Give it a try. It is a little tart though. Truth be known, the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, but I only used 2/3 of a cup. I don't mind the tartness.

rhubarb needs to go with something else......

I love rhubarb! My grandmother used to make a rhubarb sauce that was to die for. It was the consistency of apple sauce, but with some tartness to it. Yum! :)

The first peach of summer has arrived at the Scatman household! Time to celebrate! Ring the bells! I just love a good peach, and as the Allman Brothers once said, "Eat a Peach!"

01.jpg

I hit the downtown farmers' market in SLC this morning before heading out to play some basketball. Besides peaches, I picked up some apricots, fresh Aggie corn, a couple of tomatoes, some Diablo Kitchen Sink Salsa, some jalapeno cheese bread, and a loaf of olive bread for the Mrs..

Sorry, no hiking this weekend as I am resting a tender left knee from my Reid's Peak hike last weekend. :(

Pennsylvania peaches have arrived in our local farm stores. We bought some the other day and they turned out to be pretty good. Jackie got some white plums and said they were very good too. Our local sweet corn is a bit behind its usual arrival, probably due to the hot humid wet weather that the area has endured over the month of July. We’ve had some but it’s definitely not up to its usual sweetness. Cantaloupe is out now too and Jackie reports that it’s very good (so far); I am not a cantaloupe fan. We bought some pickling cakes and Jackie canned 8 pints of bread and butter pickles.

We did not plant our usual veggie garden this year since we didn’t know how long we’d be gone on our road trip. We did plant red potatoes and onions and they are doing well.

A couple years ago we planted some milkweed seeds in the fall and we got a few plants growing. So last fall I planted some more seeds and we now have quite a nice group of milkweed plants going beside the house. Hopefully we’ll have some monarchs about now.

Pennsylvania peaches have arrived in our local farm stores. We bought some the other day and they turned out to be pretty good. Jackie got some white plums and said they were very good too. Our local sweet corn is a bit behind its usual arrival, probably due to the hot humid wet weather that the area has endured over the month of July. We’ve had some but it’s definitely not up to its usual sweetness. Cantaloupe is out now too and Jackie reports that it’s very good (so far); I am not a cantaloupe fan. We bought some pickling cakes and Jackie canned 8 pints of bread and butter pickles.

We did not plant our usual veggie garden this year since we didn’t know how long we’d be gone on our road trip. We did plant red potatoes and onions and they are doing well.

A couple years ago we planted some milkweed seeds in the fall and we got a few plants growing. So last fall I planted some more seeds and we now have quite a nice group of milkweed plants going beside the house. Hopefully we’ll have some monarchs about now.

I'm not a cantaloupe fan either, or any melon for that matter. The plums sound good though.

Looking forward to some monarch pictures in the future.

Headed back to western North Carolina this past week for some family business, and while I didn't do any cooking, that doesn't mean I didn't eat well. I think that I gained back all of the weight I lost on my Thorofare trip a couple of weeks ago.

The Wedge Brewery in Asheville, NC - down along the French Broad River

04.jpg
AOB Stout was in order, while Sheila had the Passionfruit Blackberry Sour. Go with the stout. :)
03.jpg
Scat at the Wedge - I need calories after @TractorDoc, @Bob and @wsp_scott worked me the week before. :hungry:
05.jpg

Next up was Joey's Pancake House

05b.jpg
Bacon and eggs and a side of grits should do
06.jpg
And the lemon poppy seed pancakes with blueberries were delicious
07.jpg

Then it was on to Frog Level

08.jpg
And of course, the Frog Level Brewery
09.jpg
Where we ordered a pretzel that was fantastic. It came with melted pepper jack cheese and a honey mustard dipping sauce - and
I got a Bug-Eyed Stout to top things off. The Pretzel almost looks like it is smiling? If it had been, I'd have had to have thrown it in
Richland Creek. :D
10.jpg
10b.jpg
We went back the next day and got the pretzel again, but this time I ordered the Barrel-aged Stout. The Bug-Eyed was better
12.jpg
A northern cardinal landed in the trees/shrubs across the creek while I enjoyed my stout
11.jpg

If you ever are visiting or passing through Waynesville, be sure and visit Frog Level and the brewery. The have a wonderful patio in back of the brewery that sits on Richland Creek. I thought the atmosphere was just wonderful.

Some Frog Level humor
13.jpg
14.jpg

Then it was on to Clyde's for some good southern style food.

16.jpg
Fried chicken, green beans and fried okra with rolls or cornbread will put some pounds on. :)
15.jpg

Next up, Maggie Valley Restaurant
17.jpg
Liver mush if you prefer
18.jpg
Couldn't resist taking this picture of the sign before leaving
19.jpg

Saying my goodbyes to my mother's first cousin Betty, who just turned 90 years old back in July, before heading to the airport. I
think she might have a little Scat DNA in her.
20.jpg
And a whiskey burger and fries at the Minneapolis - Saint Paul Airport before boarding my flight to Salt Lake City last night. I don't
remember the name, but that is some kind of porter that I had with the burger. It was okay, but not as good as the stouts that I
had throughout the week.
21.jpg

Last edited:
Headed back to western North Carolina this past week for some family business, and while I didn't do any cooking, that doesn't mean I didn't eat well. I think that I gained back all of the weight I lost on my Thorofare trip a couple of weeks ago.

The Wedge Brewery in Asheville, NC - down along the French Broad River

View attachment 124260
AOB Stout was in order, while Sheila had the Passionfruit Blackberry Sour. Go with the stout. :)
View attachment 124259
Scat at the Wedge - I need calories after @TractorDoc, @Bob and @wsp_scott worked me the week before. :hungry:
View attachment 124261

Next up was Joey's Pancake House

View attachment 124262
Bacon and eggs and a side of grits should do
View attachment 124263
And the lemon poppy seed pancakes with blueberries were delicious
View attachment 124264

Then it was on to Frog Level

View attachment 124265
And of course, the Frog Level Brewery
View attachment 124266
Where we ordered a pretzel that was fantastic. It came with melted pepper jack cheese and a honey mustard dipping sauce - and
I got a Bug-Eyed Stout to top things off. The Pretzel almost looks like it is smiling? If it had been, I'd have had to have thrown it in
Richland Creek. :D
View attachment 124267
View attachment 124279
We went back the next day and got the pretzel again, but this time I ordered the Barrel-aged Stout. The Bug-Eyed was better
View attachment 124268
A northern cardinal landed in the trees/shrubs across the creek while I enjoyed my stout
View attachment 124269

If you ever are visiting or passing through Waynesville, be sure and visit Frog Level and the brewery. The have a wonderful patio in back of the brewery that sits on Richland Creek. I thought the atmosphere was just wonderful.

Some Frog Level humor
View attachment 124270
View attachment 124271

Then it was on to Clyde's for some good southern style food.

View attachment 124272
Fried chicken, green beans and fried okra with rolls or cornbread will put some pounds on. :)
View attachment 124273

Nest up, Maggie Valley Restaurant
View attachment 124274
Liver mush if you prefer
View attachment 124275
Couldn't resist taking this picture of the sign before leaving
View attachment 124276

Saying my goodbyes to my mother's first cousin Betty, who just turned 90 years old back in July, before heading to the airport. I
think she might have a little Scat DNA in her.
View attachment 124277
And a whiskey burger and fries at the Minneapolis - Saint Paul Airport before boarding my flight to Salt Lake City last night. I don't
remember the name, but that is some kind of porter that I had with the burger. It was okay, but not as good as the stouts that I
had throughout the week.
View attachment 124278
Looks like you were eating good! I just ate lunch but this makes me hungry anyway. And good to see there was no shortage of dark beers. I'll never forget your disappointment when they had none at the Merry Piglets in Jackson haha.