What's Cooking?

Looks like you were eating good! I just ate lunch but this makes me hungry anyway. And good to see there was no shortage of dark beers. I'll never forget your disappointment when they had none at the Merry Piglets in Jackson haha.

Still disappointed Jackson. Still disappointed. :)

Okay I can't take any credit for this because my daughter made it today. It is a grapefruit pie that just finished setting up in the fridge. It has the consistency of key lime pie. I'll let you know what I think after I have a piece. I love grapefruit, so we will see.

02.jpg

Okay I can't take any credit for this because my daughter made it today. It is a grapefruit pie that just finished setting up in the fridge. It has the consistency of key lime pie. I'll let you know what I think after I have a piece. I love grapefruit, so we will see.

View attachment 124588

So … what was the verdict on this?

I ask this as my wife and granddaughter are videoing their “cooking show” in our kitchen. Although today’s show (their premiere taping) does not involve cooking. “Cookie Turkeys” using fudge stripe cookies, rollos, candy corn, and chocolate frosting. Once our technical wizard, i.e., granddaughter, edits the video, perhaps I can share their culinary acumen with the forum.

So … what was the verdict on this?

I ask this as my wife and granddaughter are videoing their “cooking show” in our kitchen. Although today’s show (their premiere taping) does not involve cooking. “Cookie Turkeys” using fudge stripe cookies, rollos, candy corn, and chocolate frosting. Once our technical wizard, i.e., granddaughter, edits the video, perhaps I can share their culinary acumen with the forum.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been in Seattle.

The grapefruit pie was good. It took a few bites to get used to the flavor, but I liked it. I think it was even better after sitting in the fridge for another day.

Over a decade ago I used to work in Tijuana.
Tacos El Gordo was a good place to go late at night, after a party, or a movie or wherever... or a place to take client visitors who were in a hurry and wanted to try things like cabeza, lengua or buche.
On the scale of good food in Tijuana, El Gordo is mid-range, but consistently good.

I usually avoid Vegas, but I was there last weekend for a punk festival and we stopped at one of the now franchised El Gordos for a late breakfast.

It was good, and tasted like TJ.
Suadero, Buche, al Pastor and Carne Asada (suadero and buche are the best).

IMG_6938 (1).jpg

What's cooking you ask? Well, that'd be @TractorDoc's daily reports on the Thorofare and Teton Wilderness that's what. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, it that time of the year again for me to start using the Dutch oven. I decided to try a recipe called 9 ingredient cabbage soup tonight. Actually, I'm making the 10 ingredient kind since I decided to add a can of pinto beans to the soup that the recipe does not call for because I like beans. :)

I started off with:

- 1Tbls. of olive oil
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
- 2 cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 2 ribs of celery
- 4 large carrots (I bought 8 smaller ones since my grocery store had no large ones)
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper

01.jpg

Warm up the oil in your Dutch Oven

Chop up the cabbage, the onion, the carrots and the celery

02.jpg

Put the cut up vegetables in the Dutch oven over medium heat and cook long enough for the onions to become transparent (took about 7 minutes)

03.jpg

Add the chicken broth, the diced tomatoes and the pinto beans, along with the salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

04.jpg

Turn the heat back to medium-low and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

05.jpg

Halfway through the simmering process.

06.jpg

All done and ready to serve.

07.jpg

Nice big bowl with my old standby, sourdough bread.

08.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few days' worth of what's cooking:

Smoked ribs and roasted veggies:
IMG_7083.jpg

Some Japanese Curry:
Stir fry and get some color
IMG_7087.jpg

Then add the Golden Curry that was on sale for 1/2 price at the grocery store.
IMG_7088.jpg

And last of all, some no-mushroom stroganoff that my kids will eat, sauteed vegetables, and butter lettuce/fruit salad with peach flavored cream soda.
It's better with mushrooms, but sometimes you have to make exceptions so the kids eat it.
IMG_7094.jpg

Tonight the plan is beef and broccoli... steak is expensive, so it will be one sirloin steak, a lot of broccoli and probably green beans or carrots mixed in there too.

Here's a few days' worth of what's cooking:

Smoked ribs and roasted veggies:
View attachment 127256

Some Japanese Curry:
Stir fry and get some color
View attachment 127257

Then add the Golden Curry that was on sale for 1/2 price at the grocery store.
View attachment 127258

And last of all, some no-mushroom stroganoff that my kids will eat, sauteed vegetables, and butter lettuce/fruit salad with peach flavored cream soda.
It's better with mushrooms, but sometimes you have to make exceptions so the kids eat it.
View attachment 127259

Tonight the plan is beef and broccoli... steak is expensive, so it will be one sirloin steak, a lot of broccoli and probably green beans or carrots mixed in there too.

That stroganoff looks awfully good. :hungry:

Camp cooking: only one small pot, so not charred enough, but it was a tasty Fajita bowl!

You don't need char with a backdrop of scenery like that :)
It looks warmer than Utah.

Funny, cuz fajitas are on the menu for sometime this week here!

On a cold rainy day here in Salt Lake, I have decided to try cast iron lasagna for dinner.

Recipe
01.jpg

Yellow onion chopped and cooked in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil for 7 minutes
02.jpg

Minced garlic - 3 cloves
03.jpg

1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
04.jpg

Add garlic, red pepper flakes and 1 lbs. of ground turkey, and cook for 7 more minutes. The recipe called for sweet Italian sausage,
but I used ground turkey instead.
05.jpg

Cheese mixture
06.jpg

Add 3 cans of fire roasted tomatoes to Dutch Oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes
07.jpg

Boil twelve lasagna noodles for 8 minutes. I used whole wheat noodles
08.jpg

Ricotta mixture
09.jpg

Transfer sauce to a mixing bowl
10.jpg

Then in typical lasagna fashion, start layering with meat sauce first
11.jpg

Then noodles
12.jpg

The ricotta mixture
13.jpg

Then a layer of cheese mixture
14.jpg

Do this two more times.

Three layers
14.jpg

Then transfer your Dutch Oven to a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. I did mine for 37. :)

All done. I let it rest for ten minutes before trying.
16.jpg

Scoop some out
17.jpg

And enjoy.
18.jpg

When the desert nights are 14-15 hours long, soup is good.

You take this (smallest turkey I have cooked in over a decade, a measly 15 lbs...), anyways, you take the carcass of this right after you carve it and let it simmer for as many hours as you have before you leave for the desert.

IMG_7125.jpg
You stash that stock in a tupperware and put it in the bed of your truck, drive down south a few hours in the dark and into a snowstorm.
Leave it packed in snow overnight or a couple of days- I lost track...
Keeping it cold, but not frozen.

Then you break out the stove at sunset, heat it to a rolling boil, drop in some leftover turkey and ham. Bring it back to a boil, and then add some frozen peas and carrots.
IMG_7305.jpg
You might need a good windbreak, since temps of 30d and breezy are not prime for camp stoves.

Then you serve it in these dinky-cup things, because you forgot to pack real bowls. It is best eaten just as the sun is setting.
You can top it with hot sauce, or cheese, or my homemade cranberry sauce with some habanero this year for extra kick.
You can include some spare rolls on the side too.
IMG_7316.jpg

Hopefully your son and nephew forgive you for bringing crappy bowls- but at least there were 3 of them and 3 of us, so we didn't have to share.
Your son may also wish that you had brought the promised can of cream of chicken soup to make it a creamy soup.
He still will probably eat it and then eat more until all of the soup was gone.

Then you drink cider and sit in the dark on the rim for as long as possible, until your fingertips freeze, because you know that even then it is only 7:02pm and the sun does not come up for 12 more hours... :) and 12 hours is still a long time in a sleeping bag.

Gimpy Winter Beef Stew

You can only make this recipe if you have a sore foot. :D

This recipe is a basic beef stew, nothing fancy. I'll once again be using my stove top Dutch oven to make the stew, so let's get started.

The recipe calls for two pounds of stew beef. @Rockskipper was supposed to hand deliver some stew bison, but she must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque. :)

01.jpg

You want to add three tablespoons of vegetable oil - I used 1 of vegetable oil and two of olive oil. After the oil has heated, brown the stew beef in the Dutch oven. I did this in two one pound batches.

02.jpg03.jpg

Once browned on all sides remove the beef from the Dutch Oven and place on a plate

04.jpg

You then add four beef bouillon cubes to four cups of hot water in a bowl to dissolve the cubes.

05.jpg

Then add the broth back to the Dutch Oven along with the beef. Then add one teaspoon of dried rosemary, one teaspoon of dried parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.

06.jpg

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for one hour.

07.jpg

In the meantime, you want to chop up four carrots, four ribs of celery, one yellow onion, and the recipe called for three large potatoes, but I used seven medium red potatoes instead.

08.jpg

09.jpg10.jpg
11.jpg12.jpg

Once all the veggies are chopped, mix two teaspoons of corn starch with two teaspoons of water in a small bowl

13.jpg

After and hour of simmering is up, add the vegetables and the corn starch mixture to the Dutch oven.

14.jpg
15.jpg

Bring back to a boil once again, and then back off the heat to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for one more hour.

16.jpg

Finni!

17.jpg

Served with some jalapeño cheese bread.

18.jpg

Now go elevate that foot! :D

The recipe calls for two pounds of stew beef. @Rockskipper was supposed to hand deliver some stew bison, but she must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque. :)
Albuquerque? I thought you said Yellowstone (they sound a lot alike). It's taking a long time on snowshoes.