What's Cooking?

Tonight's dish is a garbanzo bean, chorizos soup.

Ingredients -

1 lbs. dry garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
5 leeks. chopped
4 carrots chopped
1 package of cubed ham
12 cups of chicken broth
3 chorizos, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds. ( I only used two)

This recipe is supposed to be done in a pressure cooker, but I modified it for my Dutch ovens. I also added four chopped Yukon gold potatoes even though the recipe didn't call for them.

Soak the chickpeas overnight
01.jpg

Simmer the beans for two hours
02.jpg

Brown the sliced chorizos
03.jpg

Chop the vegetables
04.jpg

Combine and cook for eight minutes. At this point I realized that I would need a second Dutch oven to hold all of the ingredients
05.jpg

Cube four Yukon gold potatoes
06.jpg

I divided everything between the two Dutch ovens
07.jpg

And then I simmered the soup for another 35 minutes until the potatoes where soft
07b.jpg

Dished it out into a large bowl and had some jalapeño cheese bread with some added jalapenos on it.
08.jpg

Not much of a corn beef and cabbage kind of a guy, even on St. Patrick's Day, so I made some (Irish?) chili. I've posted this recipe before, but this time I added a green bell pepper to the mix, and I switched out black beans for kidney beans, and instead of a small can of mushrooms, this time I used a large can.

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

I then topped the bowl off with some Cache Valley Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese.
16.jpg

You lost me at mushrooms … but it does look really tasty!

Last night, I made enough souvlaki for a whole week... It will give my wife something to eat with salad while I work events the next four nights in a row.
IMG_8567.jpg

A week or so ago there were some peach bourbon babyback ribs.
IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg
I was not patient enough and only got these to 197d... some were perfect, some needed to get to 201d, but they were good. Sprouts are good when you char them crispy beyond recognition :)
The whole meal was also less than the cost of 1 steak.

This also reminds me, there was some good food had in SE Utah what was now a few weeks ago:

Some golden curry in the Needles... and plenty of Easter candy, like Peeps and cadbury eggs.
IMG_7983.jpg

Clamatoes and homemade chili with dogs... Those might be circus peanuts in the background of the pic too.
IMG_8191.jpg

Philly Cheese steaks with provolone... not cheez whiz- IYKYK
IMG_8268 (1).jpg

Also calling back my younger years, the classic Dinty Stew with instant rice and cornbread muffins.
IMG_8364.jpg

Good to see some proper camp grub! I always shake my head at friends who go with freeze dried backpacking meals when car camping.