What's Cooking?

Tonight's dish is a garbanzo bean, chorizos soup.

Ingredients -

1 lbs. dry garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
5 leeks. chopped
4 carrots chopped
1 package of cubed ham
12 cups of chicken broth
3 chorizos, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds. ( I only used two)

This recipe is supposed to be done in a pressure cooker, but I modified it for my Dutch ovens. I also added four chopped Yukon gold potatoes even though the recipe didn't call for them.

Soak the chickpeas overnight
01.jpg

Simmer the beans for two hours
02.jpg

Brown the sliced chorizos
03.jpg

Chop the vegetables
04.jpg

Combine and cook for eight minutes. At this point I realized that I would need a second Dutch oven to hold all of the ingredients
05.jpg

Cube four Yukon gold potatoes
06.jpg

I divided everything between the two Dutch ovens
07.jpg

And then I simmered the soup for another 35 minutes until the potatoes where soft
07b.jpg

Dished it out into a large bowl and had some jalapeño cheese bread with some added jalapenos on it.
08.jpg

Not much of a corn beef and cabbage kind of a guy, even on St. Patrick's Day, so I made some (Irish?) chili. I've posted this recipe before, but this time I added a green bell pepper to the mix, and I switched out black beans for kidney beans, and instead of a small can of mushrooms, this time I used a large can.

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

I then topped the bowl off with some Cache Valley Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese.
16.jpg

You lost me at mushrooms … but it does look really tasty!

Last night, I made enough souvlaki for a whole week... It will give my wife something to eat with salad while I work events the next four nights in a row.
IMG_8567.jpg

A week or so ago there were some peach bourbon babyback ribs.
IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg
I was not patient enough and only got these to 197d... some were perfect, some needed to get to 201d, but they were good. Sprouts are good when you char them crispy beyond recognition :)
The whole meal was also less than the cost of 1 steak.

This also reminds me, there was some good food had in SE Utah what was now a few weeks ago:

Some golden curry in the Needles... and plenty of Easter candy, like Peeps and cadbury eggs.
IMG_7983.jpg

Clamatoes and homemade chili with dogs... Those might be circus peanuts in the background of the pic too.
IMG_8191.jpg

Philly Cheese steaks with provolone... not cheez whiz- IYKYK
IMG_8268 (1).jpg

Also calling back my younger years, the classic Dinty Stew with instant rice and cornbread muffins.
IMG_8364.jpg

Good to see some proper camp grub! I always shake my head at friends who go with freeze dried backpacking meals when car camping.

This also reminds me, there was some good food had in SE Utah what was now a few weeks ago:

Some golden curry in the Needles... and plenty of Easter candy, like Peeps and cadbury eggs.
View attachment 130332

Clamatoes and homemade chili with dogs... Those might be circus peanuts in the background of the pic too.
View attachment 130333

Philly Cheese steaks with provolone... not cheez whiz- IYKYK
View attachment 130334

Also calling back my younger years, the classic Dinty Stew with instant rice and cornbread muffins.
View attachment 130335

All of this looks delicious. I may need to hire you for my next car camping trip. You do know that circus peanuts make the meal? :D

All of this looks delicious. I may need to hire you for my next car camping trip. You do know that circus peanuts make the meal? :D

From his job description on his defunct webpage:
Chef Ugly is usually good to go with just good campsites, good food, and good company. He rarely charges, unless there are outrageous requests or you want to tip him bc he does an Onion Train or flips shrimp into your mouth. He does also really enjoy sugar and sweets... or ribeyes and scallops... :roflmao:

Maybe next desert season I will get you to come along with us to the desert. It really is conducive to great food, and circus peanuts.

Getting to that time of year when I put the Dutch oven away, but before I do, tonight's meal is called Campfire Dutch Oven Corn Bread Chili. Of course, I'll be using my stovetop and not an open campfire. I have never made this recipe before, so it should be interesting.

The recipe is as follows:

- 1 TBS of olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. of ground turkey (I only used one pound)
- 1 onion diced (I used a yellow onion)
- 1 red bell pepper diced (I added an additional orange bell pepper to mine)
- 1 anaheim chile, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 TBS chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained
- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (I used garlic and fire roasted diced)
- 3 oz chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 4 oz green chiles, drained and diced
- 1/2 cup of water if needed
- 1 box of cornbread mix

Chop up your vegetables
01.jpg

And mince four cloves of garlic
02.jpg

Chopped veggies
03.jpg

Ingredients
04.jpg

Brown your turkey
05.jpg

Mix in vegetables and cook for about six minutes
06.jpg

Add the chili powder, cumin and salt
07.jpg

Add black beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and chilis
08.jpg

And mix
09.jpg

Let simmer for 30 minutes to two hours. The longer you simmer the better it is supposed to be. I simmered mine for 60 minutes due to time restraints.

After 60 minutes of simmering
09b.jpg

Mix the corn bread mix in a mixing bowl according to box directions, mine called for using 1 egg, 1/3 cup of milk and 1/3 cup of water.

Once mixed, pour over the chili.
10.jpg

With a spoon spread corn bread mix to the sides of the Dutch oven as evenly as possible, then cover and place in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 26 minutes.

Not quite as brown on top as I thought it should be.
11.jpg

After spooning some out
12.jpg

Served with a slice of garlic bread.
13.jpg