What's Cooking?

So my daughter is heading back to Lewis and Clark in Portland tomorrow morning for her last semester - assuming she graduates that is. :thinking: So on her last night in town I always let her pick the meal, and tonight she chose salmon.

Our menu consisted of baked salmon, seasoned with smokehouse maple, and some Cajun salt, steamed broccoli, and some rice. Good choice Katie. :thumbsup:

11.jpg

About like I do salmon... Salt brown sugar maple soak, rinse, smoke with hickory..... Mmmmm

I love your what's cooking posts because I like to try to figure out what all the assorted stuff on your cooking area and table is, and I'm not talking about the food. :)

I love your what's cooking posts because I like to try to figure out what all the assorted stuff on your cooking area and table is, and I'm not talking about the food. :)

Well, in the above shot, you can see a mouse pad that I use when I am teleworking. I go into the office Monday through Wednesday and telework Thursdays and Fridays usually. Also, there is a camera case that holds my Canon Powershot SX720 HS that I used to take the picture of the salmon. A pretty meager existence here at the Scat household. :)

Well, in the above shot, you can see a mouse pad that I use when I am teleworking. I go into the office Monday through Wednesday and telework Thursdays and Fridays usually. Also, there is a camera case that holds my Canon Powershot SX720 HS that I used to take the picture of the salmon. A pretty meager existence here at the Scat household. :)
Yeah, that shot was a bit scarce on the peripherals. I esp. like it when you include contents for future meals and medical bottles and stuff like that because it sparks the imagination as to what you're REALLY up to. Scatman's Secret Life.

- A tuxedo cat aficionado (Felix)
- A household that has no fear of looking into the gullet of a wild grizz
- Someone who puts important things on the SIDE of the fridge (out of sight, out of mind?)
- A possible Luddite
- Time kept by the laws of the jungle, and it's HIGH NOON and almost too late
- A cryptic placemat with a mysterious bowl on it - or maybe it's the floor mat of a VW Bug with an urn containing the remains of the last person the grizz ate
- Various mysterious and probably nefarious round items in the background, possibly luring one into some kind of trap

I dunno, there are many other hidden secrets there that I probably shouldn't talk about on a forum...

ETA: Keep in mind I have a 13-inch laptop so my screen's kind of small. There's probably even more.

Last edited:
Cat food on mat? And clocks so youre not late

- A tuxedo cat aficionado (Felix)
- A household that has no fear of looking into the gullet of a wild grizz
- Someone who puts important things on the SIDE of the fridge (out of sight, out of mind?)
- A possible Luddite
- Time kept by the laws of the jungle, and it's HIGH NOON and almost too late
- A cryptic placemat with a mysterious bowl on it - or maybe it's the floor mat of a VW Bug with an urn containing the remains of the last person the grizz ate
- Various mysterious and probably nefarious round items in the background, possibly luring one into some kind of trap

I dunno, there are many other hidden secrets there that I probably shouldn't talk about on a forum...

ETA: Keep in mind I have a 13-inch laptop so my screen's kind of small. There's probably even more.

That grizz is protecting the cat food bowl. @Bob got it right.

Everything to me is out of sight out of mind. Not intentionally mind you. :)

I've been trying out some new recipes for my @scatman cook book. This one's called Scatster's Peanut Beary Delight. In case you can't tell, it's a bear-sized cookie.

View attachment 118144

You're making me hungry you know.

You're going to have to hit the trail after eating that high caloric meal Skipper. Looking forward to the trip report. :D

Do you think that you could list the nutritional guide for this fabulous dish?

The cookie itself has the same nutritional value as corn, since it's yellow. The frosting, being white, is the same as mushrooms, and fruit is fruit, you'll have to look each one up, but it's almost nothing calorie-wise for fruit. The peanuts really throw things off at 0 nutritional value and 5,000 calories per/peanut, but bears need lots of calories, so that's a good thing. So all in all, a little nutrition with lots of calories, kind of like junk food, which bears love, especially national park bears. (Just don't eat the whole darn thing at once. Source: Tums)

The cookie itself has the same nutritional value as corn, since it's yellow. The frosting, being white, is the same as mushrooms, and fruit is fruit, you'll have to look each one up, but it's almost nothing calorie-wise for fruit. The peanuts really throw things off at 0 nutritional value and 5,000 calories per/peanut, but bears need lots of calories, so that's a good thing. So all in all, a little nutrition with lots of calories, kind of like junk food, which bears love, especially national park bears. (Just don't eat the whole darn thing at once. Source: Tums)

I'll need some basic instructions on how to put it all together. I'm not the brightest bulb in the package. :)

Amateurs …

Circus Peanut Salad
A bright orange jiggly salad complete with whipped topping, crushed pineapple, jello, and 32 circus peanuts.
4.75 from 4 votes
Print Recipe
Pin Recipe
PREP TIME
30 mins
COOK TIME
0 mins
CHILL TIME
4 hrs
TOTAL TIME
4 hrs 30 mins
COURSE
Appetizer, Dessert, pot luck, Salad, Side Dish
CUISINE
American, Southern
SERVINGS
12 people
CALORIES
200 kcal
Equipment
greased 13" X 9" baking pan
2 large mixing bowls

Ingredients

44 circus peanuts 32 for the salad, 12 for the top
1/4 cup hot water
6 oz orange gelatin I used 2 – 3 oz packets
3/4 cup boiling water
1 container whipped topping 8 oz
16 oz crushed pineapple I used 2 – 8 oz cans

Instructions

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 32 roughly chopped Circus Peanuts and 1/4 cup of hot water. Microwave for one minute and stir until melted and smooth.
Dissolve orange gelatin into 3/4 cup of boiling water and then pour into melted candy mixture, stirring until smooth.
In a separate bowl, combine crushed pineapple with whipped topping. Fold until evenly distributed.
Fold the whipped pineapple mixture into the melted candy mixture.
Pour into a greased 13" X 9" baking dish. Chill until firm. (~ 4 hours)
Top with 12 extra Circus Peanuts, one for each square if cut.

Notes

Once chilled, your circus peanut salad will have separated into layers with the bottom layer having more of the crushed pineapple, and the top more foamy.