What's Cooking?

Haven't bought the tent yet. Waiting for the big REI sale in a week and for you to send me your tax refund. :)

It'll take a couple of months before I can send it to you. :)

And what is your mailing address again? Something, something Fremont Peak, Western Frontier?

Last edited:
Best wishes on getting that tax refund! Not sure how quickly the pony express can deliver those paper tax documents and how long it’s gonna take for the IRS to find someone who still reviews paper tax documents. :)

I've always sat down and filled out the forms and mailed them off. Half the fun is waiting for the check. :) It'll be here sometime in April I'm sure.

It doesn't matter to me if there is anyone left to review them or not, just send me the money. :thumbsup:

I actually had to pay in this year, that's why when @scatman said he got a refund I got all excited, then even moreso when he said I could help him spend it. That is what you said, eh Scat? And don't ever file electronically when you owe, as there's no delay at all. Poof - money's gone.

That's what I said alright. :p Road trip!

How many grizz do you think we can fit in the U-Haul?

Depends on the size, but don't forget how heavy they can be. We might want to add an old Suburban for extras, you know, if we see one or two hitchhiking on the road. They LOVE goulash, BTW. As for my address, just send it to General Delivery, Tombstone Territorial Park, YT. (I finally was able to climb out of that couloir on Fremont.) I'll be up there until you get the expedition all organized. Maybe we should get our grizzlies up there, as they're a bit wilder and not as clued in to people, so might be easier to trap. What did you say we were going to do with them? I missed that part.

ETA We might need most of your refund for gas, the way things are going. And are we gonna need tents for the grizzlies on the road trip? Maybe REI will give us a quantity discount. And we're gonna need more than a few bags of that haggis (poor lil sheepies).

Last edited:
I love goulash! Who knew? You forgot the zip on that YT. I'll need the nine digit zip code it you don't mind. We're taking them to the Sierra Nevadas silly. If the California flag is going to have a grizzly on it, then dammit they ought to have a few in the state don't you think?

Well, it's just common knowledge that we'll need some of the refund for petrol. Duh. No tents for the grizz. They are supposed to circle our tents, popping their jaws and making low guttural noises, wondering what is in the tents.

I'm afraid grizz and sheep don't mix.

Right. The Sierras. I think we should take a few to @b.stark in Nebraska, since they used to roam there, too. As for tents, this photo shows they have tent sense. The bear is NOT raiding someone else's tent but going into its own camp. People can be SO presumptuous - when you show this around, everyone thinks it's a tent raid. And when I said poor sheepsies, I was thinking of the haggis, of course. In that sense, bears and sheep do mix OK, though the sheep get the bad end of the deal, as usual.

tent.jpeg

No, but it'll make it safer to transport them there. Maybe some guru could resurrect them after they get there and we are long gone.

Right. The Sierras. I think we should take a few to @b.stark in Nebraska, since they used to roam there, too. As for tents, this photo shows they have tent sense. The bear is NOT raiding someone else's tent but going into its own camp. People can be SO presumptuous - when you show this around, everyone thinks it's a tent raid. And when I said poor sheepsies, I was thinking of the haggis, of course. In that sense, bears and sheep do mix OK, though the sheep get the bad end of the deal, as usual.

View attachment 108277

Plains grizz are a lot meaner than their Rocky Mountain brethren. Notice in this shot that it passed up the cooler for tent innards? And there could be some prime stouts and/or porters in that cooler.

How many grizz can you fit in the 6 1/2 foot bed of my truck?

At most three. Not enough to establish a viable Sierra population.

OK, but you get to tranquilize them first. Did you ever see this?

Yes, I've seen that many times. The Craigheads were innovators. I believe they were the first to tranquilize a grizzly bear, not knowing at first what the right amount of dosage should be. There certainly was a big boar in Hayden Valley back in the 60's. This doesn't mean that you are unwilling to hold the door to the crate does it? :D

I understand you can still find some knick-knacks from their original research in Hayden Valley.

I've read that the Craigheads were responsible for the concept of the GYE and getting others to understand how important grizzly habitat is.

I'm working on my Troy Hurtubise-style grizzly armor and it will hopefully be ready by then.

I've read that the Craigheads were responsible for the concept of the GYE and getting others to understand how important grizzly habitat is.

I'm working on my Troy Hurtubise-style grizzly armor and it will hopefully be ready by then.

I forgot about their groundbreaking work on radio collars too. Though I'm not a big fan of that anymore. It seems to me that too many animals are collared these days for my liking.

I don't think that refund of mine will be enough for a bearproof suit for you. :(

It was hailing here with some thunder earlier, which can only mean one thing - a good bowl of hot soup!

This is Pasta e Fagioli Soup.

The finished product
IMG_3249.JPG
With some roasted garlic bread
IMG_3250.JPG

Recipe:

1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 pound of lean ground beef - I used lean ground turkey instead
2 whole carrots
4 celery stalks
1 large yellow onion
28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
32 ounce container of beef broth - I used the one with 50% reduced sodium
2 whole bay leaves
1 teaspoon of dried oregano - I used closer to one tablespoon
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 can of cannellini beans
1 can of kidney beans - I used the dark red kidney beans
1 cup of ditalini pasta uncooked - I used the whole wheat version

Instructions:

1. I browned the ground turkey, then threw in the carrots, celery and yellow onion, and let cook for an additional five minutes
2. Pour in the beef stock, the crushed tomatoes along with all the spices
3. Let this simmer on low heat (2.5 on my stove) for 3-4 hours.
4. With 30 minutes remaining, add the beans and the pasta, and continue to simmer or the remaining thirty minutes.

Makes about five hearty bowls.

This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker / crockpot if so desired, though if cooked on low heat, then you'll need to go for 8 - 10 hours. If high heat, then 3-4 just like the Dutch oven.

Last edited:
Kaboom!

That's right, time for the Saint Paddy's Day tradition - the Irish Car Bomb!

Ingredients:
IMG_6220.JPG
1. Bottle of Guinness
IMG_6221.JPG
2. Half a shot of Irish Whiskey
IMG_6222.JPG
3. Half a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream
IMG_6223.JPG
4. Drop the shot into the pint of Guinness
IMG_6224.JPG
5. And enjoy!
IMG_6225.JPG
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6227.JPG
IMG_6229.JPG
Tool of the trade
IMG_6232.JPG
Juniper was so impressed, she decided to clean herself. :D
IMG_6234.JPG

I hope that Kirkham's Springbar Tent of yours can withstand a Car Bomb or two @Rockskipper. We're going to need to have a couple of these just before we round up those grizzlies. :D

Happy Saint Paddy's Day!

Attachments

• IMG_6234.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 6
I would drink a couple if you left everything out but the Bailey's. :)

One problem, though, I don't have an Old Faithful glass.

Last edited: