What's Cooking?

Everybody hungry? Good. Tonight's meal is what I call Recovery Goulash.

You know what I'm talking about: A three mile hike that seems like it will never end, with 1100 feet of elevation gain in 1.5 miles. Your lungs and calves are burning, while your heart feels like it will beat right out of your chest. :eek: And don't forget the steep decent on a cold February day. o_O You feel like you might be a pint low in the blood department, and you need to absorb as much iron as possible don't you? With a scheduled 15 minute stationary bike ride on your doorstep tomorrow. How will you ever recover in time? :coffee:? No, caffeine is not the answer! The answer is - Recovery Goulash! :D

Of course, I'll be using the old stovetop Dutch oven once again.
IMG_1105.JPG

You'll want to use some lean ground beef for this one. I'm hoping since I'm using beef instead of turkey, @Bob will give it the two thumbs up and call it reel food. :)
IMG_1106.JPG

Brown the meat
IMG_1107.JPG

Add a yellow onion, two stalks of celery, and one clove of garlic. Let them soften up a bit - 5 minutes
IMG_1108.JPG

Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato sauce, and 1 can of dark red kidney beans.
IMG_1109.JPG

Add 1 can of V8 juice, 1tbs of steak sauce, 1tbs of Worcestershire sauce, 1tsp of thyme leaves, 1tsp of smoked paprika, and 1tsp of oregano.
IMG_1110.JPG

1 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat elbow macaroni
IMG_1111.JPG

Salt and pepper to taste and then cook for 30 minutes covered.
IMG_1112.JPG

And enjoy!
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG

Makes four hefty bowls.

Eat one bowl, wait an hour, and you should feel fully recovered. :D

Looks a bit different than the goulash that my mother used to make BUT your goulash looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Looks a bit different than the goulash that my mother used to make BUT your goulash looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I'm sure my recipe is Americanized and not the Hungarian original. :) Still, it is pretty tasty.

Looks good, but I'm worried about those pill bottles in your photo - is there a connection?

Hold on, I'm going to have to check.

Okay, all three bottles are Cyclobenzaprine. One bottle is from 2010, one is from 2012 and the last is dated 2015. As you can tell, I'm not a very good pill taker. These muscle relaxers were originally for an injury I suffered playing basketball back when I was in my mid-forties. I did a quick spin and messed something up in my pelvis/si joints/hips area. The muscle relaxers helped me get some sleep at the time because the achiness was keeping me awake. Eventually, I had a PT pop my SI Joint and everything went back to normal for a long period of time, up until about three years ago and things started getting achy again. I've been to numerous doctors and told them about popping my SI joint again, but they don't seem to listen to me, so instead of spending a lot more money, I have just been living with the discomfort. Unfortunately, the old PT isn't on my insurance anymore, or else I would have gone back to him for more treatment. Also, my sports medicine doctor who I was originally seeing for this issue left, so I had to find someone new to see for it, and that hasn't been as successful as I would like. Perhaps it is just because I'm getting older.

Hold on, I'm going to have to check.

Okay, all three bottles are Cyclobenzaprine. One bottle is from 2010, one is from 2012 and the last is dated 2015. As you can tell, I'm not a very good pill taker. These muscle relaxers were originally for an injury I suffered playing basketball back when I was in my mid-forties. I did a quick spin and messed something up in my pelvis/si joints/hips area. The muscle relaxers helped me get some sleep at the time because the achiness was keeping me awake. Eventually, I had a PT pop my SI Joint and everything went back to normal for a long period of time, up until about three years ago and things started getting achy again. I've been to numerous doctors and told them about popping my SI joint again, but they don't seem to listen to me, so instead of spending a lot more money, I have just been living with the discomfort. Unfortunately, the old PT isn't on my insurance anymore, or else I would have gone back to him for more treatment. Also, my sports medicine doctor who I was originally seeing for this issue left, so I had to find someone new to see for it, and that hasn't been as successful as I would like. Perhaps it is just because I'm getting older.
Can’t be th gettin older thing….it must be th lack of snow up there….y’all usually have lots more cold n snow…down here it’s been colder n icier n snowier, resulti’ in my ole Achilles takin longer to heal.

Remember, weather anomalies mess ya up!

Can’t be th gettin older thing….it must be th lack of snow up there….y’all usually have lots more cold n snow…down here it’s been colder n icier n snowier, resulti’ in my ole Achilles takin longer to heal.

Remember, weather anomalies mess ya up!

47 and sunny today in the capital city! It supposed to get up to 50 on Sunday. Spring is here! :thinking:

47 and sunny today in the capital city! It supposed to get up to 50 on Sunday. Spring is here! :thinking:
Fire up the grill! Forecasted to be 48 here in Bozeman. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit a higher temperature than that. Feels too warm, but it's not outside the range of normal. Record high temperature for today's date here is 72 (set in 1961), so we're nowhere near that at least! Haha.

My Scat senses are tingling! Somebody must be talking about me. :)

Sign me up for a box of 20! This can't be, or else those on the front of the package would be wearing kilts and playing bagpipes.

We've got lots to discuss @Rockskipper. You know that Saint Paddies Day is approaching rather quickly.

I finished my federal income taxes and drove down to the post office to mail them off this afternoon, and on the way home I stopped by the liquor store for one of these:

IMG_0004.JPG

It's tradition for me to have an Irish Car Bomb on the 17th of March, though maybe I'll tone it down to just a pint of Guinness this year. Maybe we should do a group car bomb this year? I have it on good authority that @TractorDoc might be doing the double bomb to celebrate the Irish. :D He does have a stomach of steel.

So @Rockskipper, as I was saying before, I mailed off my tax return, and I need to know what we're going to do with the refund once it arrives? I'm thinking maybe renting a U-Haul and getting some grizzlies back into the Sierras. We can camp out along the way in that new tent you have picked up.

It's been a funky day here at the Scat House, with a little Sly and the Family Stone and some O'Jays thrown in for good measure. But while getting into the groove, I wanted to recognize the passing of Bobbie Nelson, Willie's sister, who was a talented musician in her own right, and appeared frequently on many Willie Nelson records.

I tweaked my knee last Saturday playing ball, enough so that I could barely walk on Sunday. It's borderline better now, with just a twinge of discomfort at this point. So what do you think Skipper? Should I give it a go in the morning?

I think you'd better take a day off, Scatster, if we're going to be hauling grizzlies. You'll need all you can muster, and that baked tater ain't gonna cut it for protein. Better add some spinach. Is Dooley coming along? We might need him to pack in some medical supplies and such.

Spinach is a good idea. I've actually got some in the fridge, but I didn't use it.

Of course Dooley is coming - not only medical supplies in, but bodies out. :D

Did you pull the string on that tent?

Haven't bought the tent yet. Waiting for the big REI sale in a week and for you to send me your tax refund. :)

Haven't bought the tent yet. Waiting for the big REI sale in a week and for you to send me your tax refund. :)
Best wishes on getting that tax refund! Not sure how quickly the pony express can deliver those paper tax documents and how long it’s gonna take for the IRS to find someone who still reviews paper tax documents. :)

I actually had to pay in this year, that's why when @scatman said he got a refund I got all excited, then even moreso when he said I could help him spend it. That is what you said, eh Scat? And don't ever file electronically when you owe, as there's no delay at all. Poof - money's gone.