What is Wrong with People??

kwc

The Sycamore at sycamore gap on Hadrians wall was cut down last night in a criminal act of vandalism.

The most photographed tree in Britain due to the setting, the NorthEastern icon was made even more famous by a scene in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

A Police investigation is open, but realistically there is little chance of finding the culprit(s), and even if they do a beloved tree which was estimated to be 250-300 years old is gone forever.

IMG_1964.jpeg

Reminds me of the famous Golden Spruce in BC and how it was cut down by a timberman trying to make a statement about cutting down trees. They later decided he was mentally ill. That's about the only way to explain something like this, as you'd have to be mentally ill.

No respect and no punishment dealt anymore

A 200-300 year old tree destroyed. How about imposing the laws for such an offense 200-300 years ago. I looked up the code:

"The 'Bloody Code' was the name given to the English legal system from the late 17th Century to the early 19th Century. The number of crimes carrying the death penalty in 1688 was 50. By 1815 it was 215! in the 1800s you could be hanged for:
  • murder
  • arson
  • forgery
  • cutting down trees
  • stealing horses or sheep
  • destroying turnpike roads
  • stealing from a rabbit warren
  • pickpocketing goods worth a shilling (roughly £30 today)"

The kid carried a chainsaw up to the tree and just cut all the way through. I'm guessing there are some mental issues going on.

I'm not going to go so far as to suggest hanging, but punishment of some sort should be required.