What did you buy today?

Not purchased today, but here's some of my new gear for the year that was recently purchased.

Like @Perry, I too received an order I had placed for an X-mid from Drop.
View attachment 78429

Also got these new Flex-lit Air chairs (just under a pound) from REI when they were 30% off during the big anniversary sale a couple weeks ago...
View attachment 78430
These are next on my list. They look awesome.

Like other models, these definitely don't do well in soft ground though, at least not without some additional support for the legs to rest on.

I have the helinox chair zero and I did the mod found here with the practice golf balls. It has been going strong for a year for both me and my buddy. For my chair, the balls don't affect the packing into the chair sleeve.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/helinox-chair-zero/

You can kind of see in this pic. The back legs would have been completely buried. Unfortunately, the log is blocking Tim's chair.

IMG_6545-2.jpg

The teal bird head and the retro green stove are not working for me.
Also a turqoise pot behind the cup. I don't what I was thinking mixing all those off shades!! Haha
The bird had my vodka though, so it had to stay nearby. I was nervous about lighting my first propane...anything.

before I went to Yellowstone, I bought my first car camping tent ever.

REI Basecamp 4, a lot of room and I can stand up in it. It worked wonderfully in Yellowstone where I had an 8-night base camp and will work great when my sister and niece visit me from Germany and we go on camping trips.

i-VcRmPr5-L.jpg

It's sort of heavy, but pretty sturdy and held up to all the storm fronts accompanied by passing thunderstorms pretty well.
That was one of my concerns and I took me a while to decide which tent I wanna have.
last month's deal with 25% off finally decided that I needed tho buy this one, lol.

i-2qPw3rW-L.jpg

It has lots of storage room, good ventilation and two large entrance vestibules where you can actually sit in a chair when it rains.
The toughest part is to get the rainfly above the pitched tent because I'm pretty short and the height is about 70 inches bottom to top, lol.

My second gear purchase of the year arrived Friday.
I've been using a Tarptent Notch for years(~300 nights in it), and will continue to use it with the mesh inner when the bugs are out, but the narrow ends and inability to suspend a bathtub floor without some added pieces leaves a bit to be desired when using the fly only, which I prefer in cool weather and for "shoulder season" trips out West.
After much critique of my shelter, and exploring alternatives, the Six Moon Designs Deschutes checked all my boxes, but I'd been debating the purchase for some time due to finding negative reports on their quality. Finally decided to just buy one, figuring I would send it back if I wasn't happy with it.
Silnylon would have been fine, but I'd lusted over the cuben/DCF version for awhile, and when SMD posted on Facebook that AntiGravityGear had ONE available on the very day I planned to place my order, I pulled the trigger.
No fanboys here, and it's not perfect, but it's fine. And the tarp alone is 220g/7.76oz:oops:
Shown at the maximum recommended height/pole length.
I'm not a big DCF fan(would not have considered it if it were .51oz/yd instead of .74), and didn't need to lighten my load, but I'm really tickled about this thing.
Also lucked out with initial stake placement, and it went up even faster than my Notch. That was quite a surprise, and helped make for a very positive first impression.
Did I mention...holy crap, it's light!

First use will be next month in the High Uintas!:thumbsup:

I picked up an old SMD Moonlite backpack. It is only 22 oz and looks brand new after being well over 15 years old. I have the matching Europa tent at 32 oz. Please excuse the nasty feet in the pic.
0CD8B33C-0408-404C-8CC9-66D8740AA49F.jpegFADABB5B-70F6-46C8-A415-0D0DD71DFE50.jpeg

before I went to Yellowstone, I bought my first car camping tent ever.

REI Basecamp 4, a lot of room and I can stand up in it. It worked wonderfully in Yellowstone where I had an 8-night base camp and will work great when my sister and niece visit me from Germany and we go on camping trips.

i-VcRmPr5-L.jpg

It's sort of heavy, but pretty sturdy and held up to all the storm fronts accompanied by passing thunderstorms pretty well.
That was one of my concerns and I took me a while to decide which tent I wanna have.
last month's deal with 25% off finally decided that I needed tho buy this one, lol.

i-2qPw3rW-L.jpg

It has lots of storage room, good ventilation and two large entrance vestibules where you can actually sit in a chair when it rains.
The toughest part is to get the rainfly above the pitched tent because I'm pretty short and the height is about 70 inches bottom to top, lol.
My wife would love that thing.

After years of wanting one and renting them a handful of times, I finally ordered an InReach and it arrived today. The event that finally pushed me to get one is that I needed to do a last minute rental for my Winds trip in July, and ended up having to rent a sat phone since they were out of InReaches. The sat phone ended up costing me over $200 total between the rental cost and the charges from our cell carrier for the minutes used on the calls to my wife with the international number. Not going to let that happen again.

IMG_20190901_153449~2.jpg

Got it on Amazon for over $100 off retail price too, so that's cool.

After years of wanting one and renting them a handful of times, I finally ordered an InReach and it arrived today. The event that finally pushed me to get one is that I needed to do a last minute rental for my Winds trip in July, and ended up having to rent a sat phone since they were out of InReaches. The sat phone ended up costing me over $200 total between the rental cost and the charges from our cell carrier for the minutes used on the calls to my wife with the international number. Not going to let that happen again.

View attachment 81234

Got it on Amazon for over $100 off retail price too, so that's cool.

Thank you so much for posting this @Jackson - we were about to buy one too, we didn't see this Amazon deal yet (probably a Labor day sale!).

I scored a 1950s Eddie Bauer Karakoram jacket at a thrift store. It’s similar to the parkas on the 53 K2 expedition. I sold and it is currently on its way to a collector in Oregon who works with museums and movie sets.
2354A725-6663-4E70-A756-9D98457A1FFF.png7E7A1ADB-2E8B-4C92-BCFE-6242C7CD9713.pngE32FAB80-F7C6-4701-9922-029AFFD7B7DB.jpeg

In preparation for my winter trip to Yellowstone, I bought some ultra-warm winter boots with a comfort zone of -40F.
Plus, an ultra-warm down parka.
I can't wait for winter and the trip to come.

Next on my list some nice cross-country ski for backcountry explorations. I'm eyeballing with these skis: