West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022

scatman

On Sunday, it was time to go fetch my gallon of water and 32 oz. of Gatorade off of the Millcreek Ridge that I had stashed there two weeks ago for water bottle refills on my failed attempt to hike the entire ridge.

For those interested in the hike along the eastern portion of the ridge a week earlier:

East Millcreek Ridge Report

My wife dropped off my daughter and I at the Elbow Fork Trailhead at 6:00 am, and she would pick us up later in the afternoon at the West Slope Grandeur Peak Trailhead.

Heading up the Elbow Fork Trail, I realized that this was the fourth week in a row that I had been on this stretch of trail, from the trailhead up to the saddle below Mount Aire. I don't ever recall doing that before - hiking a trail four weeks in a row that is.

This hike was approximately eight miles in length, and it took us right at ten hours to complete. We did take a nice break on Church Fork Peak, and a late lunch when we reached Grandeur. The segment between Church Fork and Grandeur was the most difficult with route finding (I failed miserably at this), plenty of scrub oak bushwhacking, and some minor scrambling.

01.jpg
Elbow Fork Trailhead - this is becoming very familiar to me. :)

02.jpg
Thimbleberries in bloom along the trail

03.jpg
Cow parsnip

04.jpg
Wild pea

05.jpg
Showy goldeneye

06.jpg
Scarlet gila

07.jpg
Sunscreen time at the saddle below Mount Aire

08.jpg
Hooker's onion seen heading up from the saddle to gain the ridge

09.jpg
Stonecrop

10.jpg
Looking back towards Mount Aire, the last peak I reached last weekend before abandoning ship

11.jpg
Retrieving the gallon of water and the Gatorade a week late. :)

12.jpg
Lupine on the ridge

13.jpg
Penstemon

14.jpg
Already into some difficult bushwhacking. I almost stepped on a large rattlesnake just after this picture was taken. I couldn't get
my camera out fast enough to get a picture of it though as it slithered away into denser brush.

16.jpg
Wild rose

17.jpg
My daughter tells me that this is a one-eyed sphinx. Still bushwhacking at this point.

18.jpg
Still bushwhacking with long morning shadows - or perhaps just a bad picture taker. :)

19.jpg
Yay, we reached an opening along the ridge, with Wildcat Ridge across the canyon.

20.jpg
Some sulphur buckwheat along a game trail

21.jpg
You can just make out Grandeur Peak in the distance, teasing me like it had the previous weekend.

22.jpg
More off-trail to reach the top of the next hill

23.jpg
More showy goldeneye

24.jpg
My nemesis, Grandeur Peak, peeking out from the ridge.

25.jpg
Shrubby country at this point, looking back and up Millcreek Canyon

26.jpg
Columbine

27.jpg
Nearing the head of Burch Hollow

28.jpg
Common yarrow

29.jpg
The head of Burch Hollow

30.jpg
View down Burch Hollow

31.jpg
Sego Lilies were in bloom across the ridge

32.jpg
View to the north from Burch Hollow

33.jpg
Heading towards Church Fork Peak now

34.jpg
Beautiful mountain mahogany on the ridgeline

35.jpg
Church Fork Peak in the distance

36.jpg
Last hill to climb before Church Fork Peak

37.jpg
Some reptilian company along the way

38.jpg
Nearing the yurt, with the Church Fork Peak cairn just a little further

39.jpg
A good look at Grandeur now

40.jpg
Last stretch before the yurt

41.jpg
The yurt

42.jpg
Another sego lilly

43.jpg
The yurt has a visitor. I knocked, but no one would answer. :)

44.jpg
What's left of the ridge after Church Fork

45.jpg
Summit shot

46.jpg
A look back to the east and Mount Aire. Also visible are unnamed peaks 8490 and 8319 along with Millvue Peak

47.jpg
Katie, contemplating how we are going to proceed.

48.jpg
Some bees on a Scottish thistle

49.jpg
More columbine

50.jpg
An old aerial target on the ridgeline

51.jpg
Slow goings at this point

52.jpg
You put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking cross the ridge! :D

53.jpg
More scrub oak to contend with on the next hill. :( Grandeur still laughing at me. :roflmao:

54.jpg
A look back to the east, this time back towards Church Fork Peak

55.jpg
Another lovely mountain mahogany

56.jpg
A dead mountain mahogany

57.jpg
Western sheep moth caterpillar

58.jpg
Katie, giving it all she's got

59.jpg
The trail up Grandeur is within sight! :thumbsup:

60.jpg
Prickly pear in bloom on unnamed peak 7868

61.jpg
I think I can. I think I can. :D

62.jpg
View back at the head of Church Fork

63.jpg
Summit shot on Grandeur. 85 degrees in the shade at the top.

64.jpg
This one is for @Rockskipper - Flavor Scatman Flav! :cool: I knew that you would want to know what time I reached the Grandeur
summit. :)

65.jpg
Now it is time for the awful decent down the West Slope Trail. Looking back up at the summit of Grandeur

66.jpg
It looks awfully dry on Parleys Ridge to the north

67.jpg
Trying to give some perspective to the steepness of this trail coming off the west side
of Grandeur. My knees were mush after descending.

68.jpg
The chauffer awaits at the trailhead - a toasty 99 degrees I might add.

Well, I didn't get nauseous on this one, which I'll take as good news. I was pretty tired though after finishing.

The End.

“The segment between Church Fork and Grandeur was the most difficult with route finding (I failed miserably at this), plenty of scrub oak bushwhacking, and some minor scrambling.”

So … who exactly is creating the route for the Yellowstone adventure? And who will be leading the merry band through the off trail portions of said adventure? Asking for a friend …

“The segment between Church Fork and Grandeur was the most difficult with route finding (I failed miserably at this), plenty of scrub oak bushwhacking, and some minor scrambling.”

So … who exactly is creating the route for the Yellowstone adventure? And who will be leading the merry band through the off trail portions of said adventure? Asking for a friend …

That would be @TractorDoc. He has some thermal areas off in the sticks that he needed to get to on this one. ;)

Nicely Done Hugh!

I'm curious about the Yurt. Is it private or can I make a reservation on recreation.gov to stay there? Is there a path I can ride my e-bike up to it or do I have to hack my way thru the rattlesnake laden brush to reach it?

Tell Katie her summit facial expressions are priceless. :)

And who will be leading the merry band through the off trail portions of said adventure? Asking for a friend …
Hugh has one of those GPS things from like 1987. It will give us a general idea of where to go. . . but I consider the waypoints as more of a suggestion than anything definitive. ;)

Nicely Done Hugh!

I'm curious about the Yurt. Is it private or can I make a reservation on recreation.gov to stay there? Is there a path I can ride my e-bike up to it or do I have to hack my way thru the rattlesnake laden brush to reach it?

Tell Katie her summit facial expressions are priceless. :)

Hugh has one of those GPS things from like 1987. It will give us a general idea of where to go. . . but I consider the waypoints as more of a suggestion than anything definitive. ;)

Katie is all business. :scatman:

The yurt is privately owned. No e-bikes allowed. The only way to get there is hacking your way through unfortunately. :)

Those waypoints are golden! The eXplorist 100 will lead you to the promised land. :D

DSCF2147.JPG

I'm thinking that we could leave our navigation to a magic 8 ball. Every time we reach a location of interest, we ask the 8 ball which direction to go. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: What do you think?

Those waypoints are golden! The eXplorist 100 will lead you to the promised land. :D
Ah, yes. I forgot you upgraded from the old white one. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking that we could leave our navigation to a magic 8 ball. Every time we reach a location of interest, we ask the 8 ball which direction to go. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: What do you think?
"Signs point to Yes."

Although I'm a bit concerned about the weight/size the 8 ball itself will bring with it. I'll be maxed out with all the extra camera batteries and rations I have to haul with me. . . is there a way we could turn the ball into a flask so it could serve a dual purpose? I think they are filled with alcohol anyway. After a couple sips we might only get "Reply Hazy Try Again" for a response. :)

If the 8 ball does not work out I'm sure we could fashion up a couple dowsing rods to guide us.

Well Jeez Louise - no wonder you had trouble on your first hike if you were carrying that huge clock! What you really need to take along is a small side table to rest it on so you can take a break.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. I forgot you upgraded from the old white one. :thumbsup:

"Signs point to Yes."

Although I'm a bit concerned about the weight/size the 8 ball itself will bring with it. I'll be maxed out with all the extra camera batteries and rations I have to haul with me. . . is there a way we could turn the ball into a flask so it could serve a dual purpose? I think they are filled with alcohol anyway. After a couple sips we might only get "Reply Hazy Try Again" for a response. :)

If the 8 ball does not work out I'm sure we could fashion up a couple dowsing rods to guide us.

I'm fairly certain the 8 ball will work. Epic!

Well Jeez Louise - no wonder you had trouble on your first hike if you were carrying that huge clock! What you really need to take along is a small side table to rest it on so you can take a break.

Can't blame the clock on my failure because I didn't take it on that day. I snagged it off Ebay, and the rope that came with it was too short to fit around my big head, so I headed to REI on Saturday to get some climbing rope to do the trick.

You got some really heavy duty rope, I hope, to match the clock. Gotta go for aesthetics.

And the soap sells only on a website that starts with How to...enjoy Mr. Bubbles. Whole Foods does sell the bacon if you want to make your own. Just add soap.

Last edited:
You got some really heavy duty rope, I hope, to match the clock. Gotta go for aesthetics.

And the soap comes with a book, but I hate to reveal the title, you can probably guess (I didn't write it). It sells only on a website that starts with How to...

The rope is heavy duty, the clock on the other hand is unfortunately not.

I think I might have wrote it. :D

If you're going to go, go big. Use real bacon. Those crumbles you buy for salads are easy to hide.

First, I am glad you finished off that ridge and got down the front of Grandeur. I was tired Saturday, I do not think I got out of bed until after 8 and then I got conned into doing some task or other around the house as free labor, before going to work.

On a different note. I know I am from the south side, so maybe there is an easy explanation, but what is happening here?!
It is just so casually placed in your last shot.
Is this guy going to float down the front of Grandeur? Is there a secret underground waterslide? Is this a new fad I am unaware of? :thinking:
What.jpg

Last time I was at that parking lot the cop or rec person was waiting impatiently for me to take off my spikes so he could lock the gate at 959pm or whenever it was about 1 minute to the time it closes. It was winter, and I was in a hurry, so I had no clue I was supposed to be looking for a water slide or a pool.

First, I am glad you finished off that ridge and got down the front of Grandeur. I was tired Saturday, I do not think I got out of bed until after 8 and then I got conned into doing some task or other around the house as free labor, before going to work.

On a different note. I know I am from the south side, so maybe there is an easy explanation, but what is happening here?!
It is just so casually placed in your last shot.
Is this guy going to float down the front of Grandeur? Is there a secret underground waterslide? Is this a new fad I am unaware of? :thinking:
View attachment 111637

Last time I was at that parking lot the cop or rec person was waiting impatiently for me to take off my spikes so he could lock the gate at 959pm or whenever it was about 1 minute to the time it closes. It was winter, and I was in a hurry, so I had no clue I was supposed to be looking for a water slide or a pool.

You south siders just aren't hip. :D You've got a keen eye there @Ugly. You know I was wondering the exact same thing. I asked Sheila, "Where are they going with those pool floatation donuts?" It was 99 degrees, so maybe the heat got to them? Either that or Parley's Creek has a lot more water in it than I imagined. :)