Album Weather, Storms and Clouds

Lucky lady. Hawaii and St George. Have you ever driven straight south of St Geo into the Parashant NM? The storms were amazing there two weeks ago.

Lucky lady. Hawaii and St George. Have you ever driven straight south of St Geo into the Parashant NM? The storms were amazing there two weeks ago.

not yet, but it might happen one of these days.
For now I'm getting excited for my camping trip to Grand Canyon North Rim mid August with hopefully some nice storms moving through

not yet, but it might happen one of these days.
For now I'm getting excited for my camping trip to Grand Canyon North Rim mid August with hopefully some nice storms moving through

I was there maybe 25 years ago. We camped at a remote place called Crazy Jug Point. I wonder if that is still allowed. We also stayed in the official campground. Storms every evening.

Had a storm blow over while I was camping on Grand Mesa. Pounding rain, a bit of slush, lightning. I sat up and watched through the windshield for a bit as the lightning moved south. Suddenly, I realized that the rain had stopped but the lightning wasn't stopping, and was still within perfect view. With quite the flurry of activity, the tripod came out, I found my way out of my sleeping bag (the zipper is becoming a bother) and I stumbled outside to giddily catch some lightning pics.

Started out with the shutter open a bit too long, a bit blown out.
View attachment 66819View attachment 66820

Then dialed it in. It was awesome to watch. I love lightning, truly hard to believe I used to be terrified of it. My camera also caught a neat time lapse effect with the clouds that I didn't expect. But that would be a lot of dark, ho mummy pictures to share...

View attachment 66821View attachment 66822View attachment 66823View attachment 66824
Nice captures amigo!

Nice captures amigo!

Thanks. It's fun. I remember trying to take pictures years ago and thinking there was some witchcraft involved in catching lighting. Now I feel I have a technique down that does me just fine when I can try it out :D

When you are trying to get to camp in the Winds, and the thunderstorms are chasing you all the way in.
20120901-20120901-_DSC0083.jpg

of course, today I encountered a severe thunderstorm while hiking. And we did not have any storms in the forecast at all.
I took a selfie before the storm broke loose.

i-NmgGHzb-XL.jpg

i-LXzWc8K-XL.jpg

I was already on my way out to the parking lot but did not make it in time. Just seconds later it started to hail and then torrential rain started with thunder and lightning and the wash I had to cross flooded. I ran to the sandstone outcropping and sat for about 2 hours in a little alcove shelter, waiting out the storm.
It was a fun trip but could end badly if you're not properly prepared. I knew the storm would hit hard very fast so I didn't try to get back to my car with a trail exposed in the open field. I also always carry enough water and food that I can spend a night out in the desert, have a flashlight, extra battery charger for my cell phone plus a dry bag for my camera gear.

Unbelievable work @Yvonne! Question.,. when you go out to shoot storms, do you set some kind of shelter up to keep you and your camera gear dry?

Usually I got caught by the storms on a hike. If the edge stays far enough away I just continue my hike and shoot the storms from where I am.
Once in a while I get caught by surprise. Then I either have to look for a safe spot to wait out the storm or if I make it back to my car have the back open and set my camera up there covered by the open door. And I always hike with a dry bag .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk